1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mike Scotto: Rockets might use 4th pick as trade bait?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaBeard, May 18, 2023.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

This is the kind of magical "Shiny Object in the stream" thinking that leads to you never letting anyone develop, and never getting anyone at the peak, this is Sacramento style thinking.

We have 8 players developing, 9 if you count KMJ as well, we don't need a guy that won't play much rotting on the bench.....trade the pick....let our young guys continue to develop......they won't reach peak until at least 24.......

DD

burlesk likes this.
  2. burlesk

burlesk Serious business

JVG vibes

BamBam and daywalker02 like this.
  3. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

As long as it isnt for a role player, I’m open to it.. I dont want to redo the Battier trade.

groovemachine and Denovo like this.
  4. ipaman

ipaman Member

Love Siakim as a player, very underrated imo, but we would have competition with at least Portland and maybe a few more teams which will drive up his price a lot. At minimum we'd have to give up both our picks this year and one or two of Green, Smith Jr., Sengun, etc...

BaselineFade likes this.
  5. YOLO

YOLO Member

They no doubt hate being stuck with the 4th pick so they should be looking to trade it

6. evo8lover

evo8lover Member

Dude the pistons seem like they’ve been tanking for years and they still suck I’d be very surprise when/if they become relevant again lol

Reeko likes this.
  7. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

He's not worth that much. Your probably right. I'd rather wait a year or two for another star to shake loose.

8. Landry's Tooth

Who did the Pacers, Hawks, or Magic bring in like Harden?

9. Landry's Tooth

So an all star under 27 is ok, right?

10. Landry's Tooth

We were going to take thabo, not gay. Either way we were getting a role player.

Gay was memphis' pick....

11. daytripper

daytripper Member

I would suck every cent of value out of that pick.
    Agreed. They need to suck every cent of value out of that pick.

They also need to add a few adults to that lockerroom. I'm still sky high on our kids but the play out on the court was an utter embarrassment this past season. Unwatchable. They couldn't even get into NBA sets. It's no wonder they are not developing the way we want.

12. NewAge

NewAge Member

So who exactly are we getting that wants to play with James? I mean, P.J. and D.House are given, I think. So #4 for P.J. and D. House? Is that the trade? And then deMornay uses the #4 to get somebody to play with Joel?
    I would rather have Amen, TBH...

13. jb86

jb86 Member

Add some quality players to the current team and wait until next year offseason. 2024 free agency is way better than this years.

14. NewAge

NewAge Member

Question: who do you think has a higher upside at #4 than Shane Battier? Seriously, I thought we got fouqed in the lottery and I was talking myself into this Amen dude. But you are saying now we can do better than Battier there? I'm curious.

BTW Shane was drafted #6, (#2 pick from college) that year, and that was considered a surprising drop for him, with a bunch of unproven high-schoolers going ahead of him (Kwame, Eddie Curry, Tyson Chandler). Shane was a prime prospect and a very good player. I don't think it is likely we do better at #4, but who knows...

Dobbizzle likes this.
  15. No Worries

No Worries Member

The Rockets have 60 million in cap space to add 1-2 veterans, without moving this year's draft picks.

Vets versus more rookies does not have to be mutually exclusive.

We might be moving on from some of our 20 year olds (as well as others) next off-season as well like:

Josh Christopher
    KJ Martin
    TyTy Washington
    and
    Jae'Sean Tate

If we traded 1.4 to Orlando for 1.6 and 1.11, we could draft
    1.6 - Taylor Hendricks or Cam Whitmore at SF
    1.11 - Cason Wallace at PG
    1.20 - Dereck Lively at C

We would have a year to figure out
    if Washington is better than Wallace and
    if Hendricks/Whitmore is better than one of Martin/Eason and
    if Lively is better than Willie Cauley-Stein

BaselineFade and B-Bob like this.
  16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

A team is an eco system and someone like Battier is a super duper Non Stats All Star.

Somehow the Heat made him an employee.....go figure....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. cheke64

cheke64 Member

We won't get anything of good value. Don't trust Amen, then swing for the fences with Cam. 18 year old with tremendous upside.

18. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I know losing doesn't benefit us. But neither is winning a few more regular season games. Unless you just want to screw OKC, what's the difference between winning 30 games and 40 games. As long as the young core is making significant strides, it's good enough for me.

No Worries likes this.
  19. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Amen has unbelievable upside. The kid has vision, highend athletic ability and high ball IQ, all he needs is to improve his shot.

Out of all the things, shooting is the one thing that can be developed. You can't teach athletic ability, vision nor ball IQ!

I would definitely take him at #4 and use him this yr as a developmental year! Use the #20 pick for trade, along with KJM, JC or Tate and use the available Cap space to improve the team this yr.

jcmoon, Y2JT, vince and 1 other person like this.
  20. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Amen has unbelievable upside. The kid has vision, highend athletic ability and high bball IQ, all he needs is to improve his shot.

Out of all the things, shooting is the one thing that can be developed. You can't teach athletic ability, vision nor ball IQ!

I would definitely take him at #4 and use him this yr as a developmental year! Use the #20 pick for trade, along with KJM, JC or Tate and use the available Cap space to improve the team this yr.