1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Michael Vick staying for junior season

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by JayZ750, Oct 19, 2000.

1. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

First and most important

Vick is very good
    I dont know if he will be the best pro quarterback--Kordell Stewart sucks but Steve McNair is underated and very good and both play similar games if you ask me
    But regardless it does mean one more quality college quarterback for the TEXANS to choose from

Second
    Apparently, with Vick staying VA Tech is going to really really good next year.

------------------
    Remember.... You are not really drunk until you must hold on to the grass to keep from falling off the earth.

2. countingcrow

countingcrow Contributing Member

Vick will be the Texans first pick in the 2002 draft. Thank God!!!

------------------

3. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

Alot of things can happen, but I think he is certainly the favorite.

------------------
    "It's not a matter of if we will win the NL central, it's by how many games." Barry Larkin

4. Cougar Brass

Cougar Brass Member

Actually, I don't think Vick is the best "PRO" prospect and from what I've heard the pro scouts agree. I've heard that the scouts have Carson Palmer at USC and Drew Henson at Michigan are rated higher and Vick is on the same level as Kurt Kittner at Illinois.

Is Vick talented? Yes. Does he have potential? Yes. Is he over-rated? Hell Yes!

Don't buy into the hype. Despite his cannon, his accuracy and ability to read defenses(though improving) are severely lacking. It was hard to get a feel on Vick's passing ability last year because he really didn't pass much. Beamer is calling for more pass plays this year in order to improve Vick's Heisman chances. The result is a 51.4% completion percentage and an INT for every 15 passes attempted. Add to that his tendency to fumble the ball this year and you have to ask yourself if Vick is really deserving of all they hype he gets.

What would you rather have, a QB that can get the ball to his receivers consistently or one that can do a flip into the endzone?

5. PhiSlammaJamma

That may be true, but the QB's winning in the NFL right now play like Vick. McNair, Banks, Gannon, Culpepper, Batch, Johnson, ect. They all play an attacking physical Style. Vick plays that. Warner is the only Good QB who is a classic QB. Vick should be our pick.

------------------
    humble, but hungry.

6. gr8-1

Is Palmer struggling at USC ? Henson looks like an awesome prospect.

------------------
    "It's not a matter of if we will win the NL central, it's by how many games." Barry Larkin

7. Cougar Brass

Cougar Brass Member

I think Palmer was turning the ball over too much this year but Vick actually has a worse INT/attempt ratio.

PhiSlammaJamma, there's a difference between a running QB and a QB that can run. Vick is the former and will likely be quicker to abandon the pass and take off running than other QB's. McNair had that problem when he came into the NFL and he's just now getting over it.

You've got to throw Batch and Banks off that list. Their teams get it done with Defense, not from QB play.

Only good pro style QB? What about Manning? Favre? Most of the QB's you listed are pocket passers who can scramble.

You know, unless we run the option, a good pocket QB who has the ability to scramble is more valuable than a running QB with average passing skills.

------------------
    "Play that funky music white boy."

Six West

8. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

I'd prefer a passer that can scramble who has size like Vick. That is the wave of the future in the NFL. Really, only Manning is a drop-back passer in terms of the young guys.

In addition, a mobile quarterback will be a must as the offensive line will have to build slowly.

I've heard a lot of scouts on the radio who are VERY high on Vick because of his size, arm strength and clutch play. The Oilers were criticized in many places for taking the same type of quarterback in Steve McNair. Now, he is one of the better QB's in the league.

I, for one, hope Vick is our guy.

------------------
    Save Our Rockets and Comets
    SaveOurRockets.com

9. gr8-1

Who here actually doesn't think that Vick will be a successful qb in the pros ? I think things were said about Kearse and Moss about how the db's were bigger and faster in the pros and the OL were stronger and quicker. Those are facts. But I think Vick is such a play-maker that he may win you alot of games, albeit in an unorthodox way.
    A win is a win.

I think these cookie cutter qb's (6'4" 220, cannon arms) have a better chance to be a bust than playmakers like Vick.

------------------

10. gr8-1

One more thing, although Shawn King prolly had better passing #'s in college than Vick (I don't know), I think Vick is better in every facet of the game.

------------------