1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Michael Redd is overrated

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by A-Train, Nov 13, 2006.

1. A-Train

A-Train Member

I can't think of a more one dimentional player in the past decade than Michael Redd right now. He can shoot, but that's about it. He used to be a decent rebounder, but his rebounding has gone to crap now that he's shooting nothing but jumpers. Also, I don't care if you're a shooting guard, a .88 assist/turnover ratio is unacceptable for any backcourt player.

His +/- stats are pretty weak for a so called franchise player, also
    http://www.82games.com/0607/06MIL4D.HTM

The bottom line is that he's having the best offensive output of his career, and the Bucks are in last place. Once he starts to cool off and his shooting percentage levels off to 44-45%, the Bucks might be #1 in the Greg Oden sweepstakes.

2. arno_ed

arno_ed Member

I Agree, he is overrated. I'm very happy he is not our franchise player.

Stojakovic also was a one dimensional overrated player.

3. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I doubt they'll go after Greg Oden. They have 2 big men that were drafted in the top ten (Bogut, Villanueva). They need apoint gaurd or an atletic swingman. And by the way Redd did score 57 last night

4. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Member

...proving you haven't watched him play enough. He's very dangerous off the dibble drive, and he's capable of incredible acrobatic finishes. And he may not be a standout defender, but he's also anything but a sieve... his size and athleticism at the 2 gives him great advantage. Most people have no clue how athletic he really is, because he's been stereotyped as a shooter.
    Can't blame you much, though... almost everyone outside of Milwaukee thinks he can't do anything but shoot.

5. A-Train

A-Train Member

...and the Bucks lost. I'm not saying that Redd was the sole reason they lost, but 57 points and zero assists? Is that some kind of record?

Also, if Oden lives up to the hype, I don't think anybody will pass him up at #1.

6. imoffg33

imoffg33 Member

32.4 ppg this season looks pretty good to me. hummm.... redd or snyder?

7. weslinder

weslinder Member

He's the worst defender at the 2 in the league (at least was in 04-05).

http://www.82games.com/rosenbaum3.htm

If you think he's anything above awful on defense, you must have seen a lot of games that no one else has. I don't know if I've ever seen a star player who was so bad at both individual defense and help defense. I'm pretty sure Steve Nash could defend the 2 better than Michael Redd.

8. A-Train

A-Train Member

Well, what CAN he do, then? He can't rebound, and the only thing he passes are cars as he's driving to the game.

Lots of points + poor defense + no rebounding + no passing is the definition of one dimentional.

Of course, 2-5 is the only stat that really matters. If the Bucks start winning and he starts passing the ball better, then feel free to drag this thread up and gloat, but for now, he's overrated.

9. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

very overrated, that is a very good team, he's a good player, and a great shooter, but I think I saw someone ranking him as a top twenty player. No way. He just doesn't do enough, as opposed to someone like Arenas who can score on redd's level, shoot on redd's level, but does more things for his team.

10. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Member

Did you read the rest of my post? His is not as bad as everyone thinks. The problem with sites like 82games.com is they have no way of calculating TEAM defense into their statistics, and the Bucks are a terrible defensive TEAM.

11. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

because you say so?

12. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Member

I live in Milwaukee at the moment. I think I've seen him play more than you.

13. A-Train

A-Train Member

"And he may not be a standout defender, but he's also anything but a sieve"

Yeah, that's really convincing...You have shown me the light!!

Have you read your own sig lately?

14. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Member

Yeah... and apparently Keith Bogans, Rodney Buford, Raja Bell, Lee Nailon, and Caron Butler are terrible defenders also...

15. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Member

How many times have you seen the guy play? I would bet it's less than a few hundred.

As per my post above, are Caron Butler, Keith Bogans, and Raja Bell horrible defenders? I think not. Rockets fans, of anyone, should know that the media does not know everything.

16. A-Train

A-Train Member

I've seen him play one time this year, where he had 34 points, zero assists, and McGrady had his ONLY decent shooting game this season.

I think it's time you took off your Redd colored glasses

17. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Member

Convenient how you don't mention that Patterson was guarding McGrady...

Wow, you form all your opinions about a player on one game... I suppose you should stop complaining that the media says Yao is "soft" based on one game they see, huh?

18. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Steve nash could not gaurd a high school 2. Also, I think peja is a worse starting 2 defender.

19. A-Train

A-Train Member

Oh yeah, that's right. Redd wasn't guarding anybody.

You also conveniently forget to mention his terrible passing and rebounding, and the Bucks last place standing. He's had three games of 30+ points and zero assists, all of them losses...coincidence?

Maybe you should move from Milwaukee to Houston so you can see a REAL franchise player more often.

20. macalu

macalu Member

sounds like a certain T-mac team back in the days.