1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Miami: James Harden Has Become a Superstar

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Da_Spark, Feb 7, 2013.

1. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

Heat see James Harden in "superstar" role

[​IMG]

MIAMI -- Something both unusual and striking took place over the last six minutes of the Miami Heat’s highly-entertaining game with the Houston Rockets on Wednesday night.

LeBron James was outplayed, at both ends, in a head-to-head matchup. The best player in the fourth quarter was James Harden.

He accomplished it in a man-to-man struggle with James. They guarded each other for those vital minutes where stars earn their paychecks. Frankly, Harden was the best player in the game and this was a night that James had 32 points, six rebounds and five assists and Dwyane Wade, his primary defender for most of the contest, had 31 points, five rebounds, eight assists and four steals.

That James-Wade 1-2 punch was ultimately too much for the Rockets, as they are for so many teams, and the Heat won 114-108. Wade was masterful in attacking, getting 13 free throws and making them all. James had another devastating shooting night, following up his 13-of-14 Monday by making 10 of his first 13 shots Wednesday.

James and Wade are champions, this isn’t breaking news. The statement of the night came from Harden.

Playing in Miami for the first time since last year’s Finals, where his struggles were a significant reason the Oklahoma City Thunder went flat in their title bid, he barely resembled the same player.

He’s had some huge scoring games this season but if there was a signature performance that displayed the difference between the Oklahoma City Harden and the Houston Harden it came on Tuesday night.

“He’s made superstar status,” James said of Harden after watching him put up 36 points, 12 rebounds and seven assists. “He’s worthy of the max contract he received from that team. He can do a little bit of everything.”

The Heat could not handle Harden’s aggression for most of the game as he blitzed them in transition. He was his trademark self in creating contact and getting to the foul line in the halfcourt. And when he had the Heat on their heels, he stepped back for jumpers, leaving them looking mildly foolish at times.

That included James. Twice in the final few minutes, Harden showed James up with the ball. With James respecting Harden’s drive he duped with step backs that almost allowed the Rockets to pull off the comeback. At the other end, James struggled to get space with Harden on him. In the fourth quarter, Harden had 16 points and James had two, though James only played the last six minutes.

It was the complete opposite of last June, where guarding James zapped Harden at the offensive end and only resulted in him getting in foul trouble on defense as James racked up huge numbers on the way to the Finals MVP.

During that series, the Heat put a bulls’ eye on Harden in their game plan. They decided to focus in on him and attempt to take some things away, specifically his ability to get the ball in space so that he could drive and create contact to get fouls. So they attacked him defensively and were able to effectively limit him.

He averaged just 12.4 points and shot just 38 percent during those five Finals games while also getting shown up defensively at times by James. In the post mortem, Harden got some significant blame for the Thunder falling short.

“We were able to hone in on what he was able to do and take some of it away,” Heat forward Shane Battier said.

“No one had done it and I think it frustrated him a little. Probably the only thing that is different now is his freedom. You give any talented player freedom in this league and that player is much more dangerous. He’s the franchise guy and he plays with a tremendous amount of confidence. He’ll take any shot at any time and, as a defender, those are the most dangerous guys.”

At times this season Harden has struggled with the attention he’s been given by defenses like the Heat showed him last year in the Finals. As the featured player in the Rockets’ high-tempo offense, he’s at the center of the opposition’s defensive game plan every single night now.

Overall, though, he’s completely flourished. He’ll make his first All-Star appearance next week because he’s demonstrated he can indeed be the top option and succeed.

“I’m in a totally different role,” Harden said. “I have to find a way to master this role I’m in now.”

In the wake of the close defeat Wednesday night, Harden was lamenting the final minute of the game. After he got a rebound with 50 seconds to go and the Rockets down three points, he sprinted to the other end but the Heat’s Mario Chalmers got back and took a charge.

“I should’ve pulled up for the three,” Harden said, shaking his head.

The Rockets got two more possessions but they swarmed Harden with double teams, once forcing him to give up the ball and once Wade blocked his shot when he tried to get off a contested shot. These are why the Heat are such a dominant team, they have the experience and the ability to squeeze out close games by making such plays.

But for Harden, it shows how far he’s come in such a short time. His situation is totally different. The Rockets are in a fight just to make the playoffs. He will not, in all likelihood, see the Heat again this season while the Thunder very well could be in a rematch in June.

Also totally different, though, is Harden’s standing on his team and the league.

“There’s a difference in my confidence,” Harden said. “I’m the main option now. My confidence has to be up so I can show my teammates that we can go out and win these types of games.”

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/miamiheat/post/_/id/16847/heat-see-harden-in-superstar-role

2. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

pretty high praise from 2 of the league's superstars -- especially considering they were the ones who made Harden look foolish last spring.

But the big thing was that James had 32 and Wade had 31 -- though Harden outscored them both with 36 - he was missing that other "star"

Right now the Rockets have one consistent big time scorer in Harden - they need a second one to compliment him - the other pieces on the team are developing enough to become a contending team.

Hopefully everyone except Harden and Asik are made available for trade in the next few weeks to get that second star

3. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

This shows how much he has grown into the leader that he's becoming.... That statement would make Rudy T. proud... "Don't ever underestimate the heart of a champion".

T_Man

4. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Obviously he's a star. It's funny how some people were comparing him to Mayo a few months back now and how Mayo was much better value.

A Big LOL to that. As predicted, Mayo's a good jump shooter but when his shot is off he can't do much. When Harden's shot is off he can do so much more.

1 person likes this.
  5. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

Mad respect from lebron and Shane. I love it lebrons the goat so what he says is true he saw it first hand last night. I hope this can put to rest the small amount of ppl who don't think harden is the real deal and it should be some other guard on our team as the main option. Lol

6. ejarts

ejarts Member

let's not get too far ahead, he's not a champion YET

7. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

But...but...he plays hero ball...

8. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

It's nice to see an endorsement from Wade and LeBron about it. It's about the highest praise you can receive in this league when your peers look at you that way.

9. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

When the trade went down, LeBron was the one praising it and giving good lucks to Harden. Wade sort of questioned it. Then the Atlanta game happened (2nd game of the season) and LeBron read Harden's stat line out-loud to Wade lmao.

10. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

He's the man. I still marvel that we were able to acquire someone of his skill level at the age of 23. At the very least, we'll be an entertaining team for a long time.

Don't bait the LOFs! They'll turn the next 10 pages into a discussion of how Lin's 10 point, 3 assist performance was the best 10 point, 3 assist performance in basketball history.

1 person likes this.
  11. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Thank the Basketball Gods for the Beard

12. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

"LeBron James was outplayed, at both ends, in a head-to-head matchup. The best player in the fourth quarter was James Harden."

That is a call-out for any Superstar who
    wants to compete for a Championship.
    People and players are seeing he is legit
    and is a force to be reckoned with!

13. SkyrimOwnsAll

SkyrimOwnsAll Member

just 23 years old too

14. pollaxt

pollaxt Contributing Member

Got to love Harden's mentality and aggression and you don't want to take that away, but goodness I wish he would reign in some of that 1-on-3 drive into a crowded paint on a fast break stuff.

15. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

You mean you wouldn't rather have OJ Mayo? Are you sure?

16. rocketsfeeva

rocketsfeeva Member

I can't wait until we get Love or LMA. We gon be so good

17. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

Anyone hear Colin Cowherd lately? During the first two months of the season, he was making fun of Harden. Anytime Harden had a bad game, Cowherd would say "how about that James Harden *echo laugh*". He even had Antonio Davis on, and Davis was like "you're gonna give Harden the max, so what are you going to give Durant? Half your franchise? Hahahaha, Harden will learn like I did that he should have stayed".

Are those two fools still talking **** now? Has Cowherd brought up Harden at all lately and eaten any crow?

18. Sen89

Sen89 Member

JayGoogle posting guide:

Yao was great thread: LOL @ anyone who would take Mayo over Yao
    Lin is improving thread: LOL Mayo hasn't improved all year
    Harden is a superstar thread: Mayo will NEVER be a superstar
    Rockets sign Beverley thread: Mayo would never get a deal if he was sent to Europe.

The weird thing is Mayo is never brought up in any of these threads prior

19. 713

713 Member

#Lebron2Houston2014.

20. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Twenty

Three

Years

Old