1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Miami at Dallas

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by RC Cola, Nov 27, 2003.

1. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

Big Thanksgiving game, and there is plenty of things that a Cowboys fan can find to be thankful for. Sitting her 11 games into the season, and Dallas is 8-3, tied for the NFC's best record. Guys like Quincy Carter, Willie Blade, Eric Ogbogu, Terry Glenn, and Aveion Cason came off of some bad seasons, or even seasons not in the NFL, but they all came in and have played exceptionally well this season under Bill Parcells. I remember that right before the Cowboys season started, I edited the team on NFL 2K3. At the time, I thought I was vastly overrating them since they had been ranked high in several categories and would win a bunch of games, but I guess I was a little closer than I thought. I still was way off because Hambrick was an ok back in the game. ;) (just messing with you Troy).

While I am thankful, that doesn't mean I'm satisfied. At 8-3, the Cowboys have a good shot to get to the playoffs and do some damage, but a meltdown could change all that. That is why the team must work harder now more than ever. Every player on the team will have to step up and play their A game the rest of the way if Dallas wants to do anything, and today is no exception.

Miami, like Carolina, has a great run defense so Troy will likely not do so well, as will any other Dallas back. However, to negate the running problem, we can open up the field with some short passes to our backs and TE's like we did Sunday. Witten is beginning to show how good he can be, and Campbell is playing real tough lately. Even Robinson had done something, catching a TD Sunday.

Of course, the WR's, especially Bryant, abd Quincy will have to play better. Dropped passes and missed big play chances may start to pile up and hurt the Cowboys.

On defense, the team will be tested again by a big, strong RB in Ricky Williams. Williams isn't having a great year, but he is starting to heat up and that isn't good news. I heard someone say he is like that basketball player who can't hit a shot, but if you give him a screen, he hits everything. Also, he is a good receiver, so the Cowboys will have to be able to deal with that. Even if he starts off getting nothing, he is so big that he may start to wear down the defense, although maybe the Dallas defense could do that to him before he does it to them. (I think it was Newman that said something along the lines of tackling him hard so that he'll lose a bit every time.)

Another threat is any WR that Newman must man up on during the blitzes(?), which I believe is Chambers. It doesn't really matter who, although Chambers makes it pretty difficult, since Newman just needs to learn how to cover it effectively. I cringe when I see the QB loft it up to Newman's man. He's got enough talent, so maybe he can adapt quickly, even if he is just a rookie. If he can shut down his man, that would open up a lot of things on D.

Fiedler will start for Dallas, but look for them to blitz him. He isn't quite a 100% I believe, so he isn't as mobile as he usually is.

Injuries for the Cowboys pretty much just include Kurt Vollers with his back problems. Torrin Tucker, not Ryan Young, seems to have the best chance of replacing him as he has been with the #1 one unit all week. He did a good job on Peppers this past Sunday, so maybe he can do it again.

Big Thanksgiving game today. Hope everyone is thankful for what they got...maybe we can be a little more thankful tonight. ;)

2. JeeberD

JeeberD Contributing Member

Go 'Boys!!!

3. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Wish the Texans were playing the Cowgirls on Thanksgiving....

4. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

Why the hell does Dallas and Detroit always play on Thanksgiving, is it a rule or something?

5. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

I'll be glad when the NFL season is over so we won't be seeing these threads anymore.

And before anyone says "Well, don't read it or blah blah", just seeing it in the hangout is annoying to me enough.

6. drapg

drapg Member

I believe Rozelle asked for volunteers to play on Thanksgiving a LONG time ago and the 'Boys and Lions agreed. I don't know if there's a signed contract, but there were verbal assurances.

7. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

The Cowboys stink. Man...do they stink. Either that...or Miami is going to win the Super Bowl.

This game is embarrassing to watch if your a Cowboys fan.

8. Austin70

Austin70 Contributing Member

Has anyone noticed how many teams the cowboys and TEXANS have both played this year?

9. RC Cola

Good point. I never really noticed it all that much. Looking at the schedules, there are 8 teams that both have played/will play this season. Some of the timing is kind of strange. The Texans played the Bills and Patriots one week after the Cowboys played them, and in this week's games, both teams play the other team's season opening opponent. (Cowboys started off with ATL, Houston started with MIA.) Probably other ones too.

I really don't want to comment much on this game. Not really much to say except that the Cowboys played terribly. Miami did a good job of exploiting Dallas, but the Cowboys sure didn't do much to adjust...or anything else for that matter. Just hope they don't look anything similiar when they play in Philly, or it could possibly be even more embarassing.

10. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Damn dude.

11. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Do you not like pro football? I know you follow college pretty well. The NFL is the most balanced professional league out of the major 3 sports, with the most spread out talent. Unlike baseball where you can count on the Yankees and Braves every year to be at the top, and basketball where teams when multiple championships at a time (which isnt as bad as baseball), the NFL is unpredictable every year. That's why I love it. Not as much as the Rockets, but I love it.

12. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Cmon Manny, If anyone deserves to give up about the NFL this season...

13. PieEatinFattie

PieEatinFattie Contributing Member

I don't know about Dallas but Detroit did it first back in the 30's basically for the pub. Here is the story from their web site.

The game was the brainchild of G.A. Richards, the first owner of the Detroit Lions. Richards had purchased the team in 1934 and moved the club from Portsmouth, Ohio, to the Motor City. The Lions were the new kids in town and had taken a backseat to the baseball Tigers. Despite the fact the Lions had lost only one game prior to Thanksgiving in '34, the season’s largest crowd had been just 15,000.

The opponent that day in '34 was the undefeated, defending World Champion Chicago Bears of George Halas. The game would determine the champion of the Western Division. Richards had convinced the NBC Radio Network to carry the game coast-to-coast (94 stations) and, additionally, an estimated 26,000 fans jammed into the University of Detroit Stadium while thousands more disappointed fans were turned away.

Despite two Ace Gutowsky touchdowns, the Bears won the inaugural game, 19-16, but a classic was born. Since 1934, 59 games have been played with the Lions holding a series record of 30-27-2. And each game, in its own way, continues to bring back memories of Thanksgiving, not only to Lions' fans, but to football fans across the nation.

14. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

Tee, hee, hee...:D

Houston beats Miami by a point... Miami rips Dallas 40-21
    Dallas gets a big fat zero vs. New England... Houston scores 20 on the Pats and nearly win it.
    Atlanta stomps Dallas on opening day... Houston will most likely beat Atlanta (rag me later if I'm wrong).
    They both beat Carolina... but who "supposed" to win those? Not Houston, for sure.

Dallas will be cryin' the blues when the Texans shape up on d. And if they ever get a QB, Parcells won't know what to do with him... he needs a underachiever to make him look better.

When next we meet, another 19-10 would be sweet!

And yes, we could easily be 7-4, 0r 6-5 right now... but hey, it's a game of inches and an oddly bouncing ball.

blah, blah, blah, blah...:p

How 'bout them Cowboys??? No really.:rolleyes:

reality check just bounced

15. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Sure, I like the NFL, DHR, but I get tired of seeing the Titans (even though they are one of the best teams in the NFL this season) on every week where I live. And I agree with you on the parity but it also can make things maddening to see a team like Dallas that really isn't as good as their record would indicate constantly being talked about (although a LOT of that has to do with their media w**** coach). When the Cowboys have played an AFC team this season, they have struggled. They beat a Chad Pennington-less team 17-6, beat the worst team in the AFC East in Buffalo in unimpressive fashion 10-6, got embarrassed by a good but hardly great Patriot team 12-0 and then got hammered yesterday by the Dolphins.

And Dallas is like one of the NFC best teams! I mean am I like the only one out there that finds that hard to believe? Yes, I will give Dallas their props as I would have never expected them to be 8-4, but they have benefited as much as anyone that I could ever remember from an easy schedule.

When I look at the AFC, I see dominating teams like the Titans, the Chiefs (ugh - sorry DHR, but they are a bunch of punks), the Colts, and the Dolphins - teams that all will mop the floor with whoever comes out of the NFC. Parity has reigned supreme in the NFC, but it has left without a dominant team in that conference - all the dominant teams are in the AFC.

Plus Quincy Carter has to be the most unappealing QB to watch to play the position.:p

I don't know. Maybe the best thing would be for the Cowboys to reach the Super Bowl because whoever they play whether it is the Titans, the Chiefs, the Colts, or someone else, they will lose and probably lose big.

I just don't like seeing teams that are not as good as the record indicate getting talked about all the time. But said team having 2 meglomaniacs in charge of it in Jerry Jones and Bill Parcells doesn't help their cause with me.:p ;)

16. Dirt

Dirt Member

And Dallas is like one of the NFC best teams! I mean am I like the only one out there that finds that hard to believe? Yes, I will give Dallas their props as I would have never expected them to be 8-4, but they have benefited as much as anyone that I could ever remember from an easy schedule.

When I look at the AFC, I see dominating teams like the Titans, the Chiefs (ugh - sorry DHR, but they are a bunch of punks), the Colts, and the Dolphins - teams that all will mop the floor with whoever comes out of the NFC. Parity has reigned supreme in the NFC, but it has left without a dominant team in that conference - all the dominant teams are in the AFC.

As an Eagles fan,I pretty much agree with what Manny said. I keep telling people that the Cowboys are 2 lucky bounces away from being a 6-6 team.As for the SuperBowl,I still think the Eagles or the Rams could play a competetive game against whomever the AFC puts up.

17. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

It's a glorious day in land of the Texans. :D

18. RC Cola

I always hear about this easy schedule, but I never thought it was THAT easy, so I decided to check the win/loss records of the teams Dallas has played so far as well as the win/loss records for some of those dominant AFC teams.

Dallas's opponents have a combined record of 63-71 for about a 47% winning percentage.

The Colts's opponents have a record of 54-67 for about 45%.

Tennesee's opponents are 56-65 for about 46%.

KC's opponents are a combined 48-74 for about 39%.

Now New England really gets my respect. Their opponents are 63-60 for 51%.

I did these in Excel, so there not from an NFL stat site, but I'm pretty sure they're all right. That's all I did for now. As for 2 lucky bounces for Dallas, I kind of agree with that, but that just happens. If this happen, or if that happens....too many ifs. I could say that if the ball had been a little off course to start the game yesterday for Miami, Dallas could have stopped Miami and it would be a completely different game.

They do get a lot of attention though, but I don't really pay that much attention since I like it. I never really notice if it is too much or what. I could agree with some of you guys saying that this team is not as good as their record, but by that I just mean that just about everyone on the team is basically overachieving and doing much more than was expected.

19. Austin70

Austin70 Contributing Member

We went to three houses yesterday, and the ones I knew would be watching the game I wore my Texans cap. There are so many fans coming out of the woodwork again after the cowboys stop sucking, I want them to lose so I don't have to hear anymore from them. And if they ever give me greif about the Texans, I say:
    1) we are a second year team and 2) Who won the first game of the season last year? Nuff said.

20. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

That just about sums up all your football takes rather nicely.

Oh, and Manny, I can't wait to see the college football season end so I wont see the threads about them. Ditto with baseball, though I'd like to see them go into a strike(wont happen, but eh, the less news on actual baseball, the better). But I wont go into the threads whining about it.

The cowboys are not one of the best teams in the NFC, they are a wild card team at best(though they could've lucked into a division title if McNabb wouldve continued to suck, but still a small chance of them capturing it). Schedule has nothing to do with it. That's a petty argument. Bottom line is that the boys have beat most of the teams they should've beaten, and have gotten some breaks against teams they shouldn't have beat. That's what winning teams do.

imo the AFC is overrated. If you want to talk about a team that's not as good as it's record indicates, look right at KC(tho priest is w/o a doubt the best rb in football right now). Look at the Colts(when is the last time Peyton won a game when it counts? oh yeah, never). Ditto with the entire Miami team. The only team that is really scary coming out of the AFC is the titans(cuz of McNair mostly) and possibly NE.

And once again, I don't see where you get the "media-w****" crap from. Bill isn't the one making them talk about him all the time, he isn't the one making them hang on every freaking syllable out of his mouth. I don't see why you blame Bill when it's clearly the fault of the ****ing media for any overhyping that's done. I mean Parcells has continued to say "were not that good of a team, we make a lot of mistakes, etc." And it's not just coachspeak, its the freaking truth, but that's not really a story, so the press will just gloss it over except to play the soundbite. Hell, Jaworski(someone whose take I usually respect) on pti the other day said the boys were legit superbowl contenders - gimme a friggin break. The cowboys may make the playoffs ... but they wont go anywhere w/o a legit running game. Their d is good, but it isn't dominating like Baltimore and TB were in there sb runs.

Oh, also, QC is a tad more appealing to watch than "the Snake" has been so far this year. ;)

btw, I think a big portion of blame yesterday lies in Parcell's lap. He was outcoached by freaking Wanny and for the first time all season the team didn't look ready to play.