1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

mi compadre!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by gram!, May 9, 2001.

1. gram!

gram! Member

i knew after watching the final four in 2000 that the rocks should draft najera. we drafted him, and then traded him for that soft little langhi, sigh. well, there you go, the only mavrick not playing like a p$$sy!

------------------

2. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

3. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Woohoo, the guy has a couple good minutes in the 4th quarter against the Spurs bench who isn't even trying and now he's a superstar? You may say he's the only Mav not playing bad, but that's not much of a compliment. They've totally sucked this entire series. And how is Langhi "soft"? You expect him to be a physical force as an SF? I guess you'd call essentially every SF in the league soft too then. And by the way, he wasn't even in the Final Four. Langhi will be a much much better pro than Najera.

------------------
    President of the Mo Taylor, Jason Collier, and draft Richard Jefferson fan club!

Draftsource.net-- the premier source for draft info. Profiles, rankings, mock drafts, and more!

http://bbs.clutchcity.net/ubb/Forum12/HTML/000328.html

4. gram!

gram! Member

yeah cat, thats exactly what i said, najera is a SUPERSTAR....anyway, do you even know who he played with in college? i watched najera during the whole tourney, and if oklahoma didn't make it to the final four, then they at least got to the sweet16. najera is a decent shooter who will claw and fight for the ball every chance he gets. langhi is very athletic, but he looks like he weighs a buck twenty-five and is knocked around all the time. also, i am sorry, but it usually looks like langhi is about to trip over his own feet! he reminds me of bambi learning to walk! 'sides, i could care less about the mavs, my comment was that at least he has some heart, something rudy is always talkin' about.

------------------

5. The Cat

anyway, do you even know who he played with in college?

You're questioning my knowledge of college basketball after you were the one who thought OU made the Final Four last year? [​IMG] Najera is a hustle player who can always look nice in spurts because of his desire. Throughout his career I'm sure he'll have several nights in which people will wonder "why don't they play this guy more?" However, he simply does not have the speed to be a consistent NBA SF, and he lacks the bulk to be a consistent NBA PF. He has some heart, yes, but he lacks the physical tools to be the kind of player you seem to think he will be on a consistent basis. He doesn't have go to moves offensively, is much smaller than most forwards defensively, etc. And you also have to remember he's going up against bench players from the Spurs like Malik Rose who when their team is up 28 I seriously doubt are going 100%. This isn't like he's doing this against Duncan and Robinson in a tight ballgame. Langhi has the tools-- it is just a matter of maturation into the NBA game and the Rockets system.

Also, give me some game analysis of Langhi if you're going to criticize the guy. Saying he reminds you of Bambi, unfortunately, is not very specific and does not tell why we shouldn't like him. And yes, he has some flaws, but his potential is great, and with Rudy mentoring him I'm sure he will realize a lot of it.

------------------
    President of the Mo Taylor, Jason Collier, and draft Richard Jefferson fan club!

Draftsource.net-- the premier source for draft info. Profiles, rankings, mock drafts, and more!

[This message has been edited by The Cat (edited May 09, 2001).]

6. gram!

gram! Member

yeah genius, i am questioning how many games you watched him play in. i am sorry i am not a wasteland of info on every tournament final four, but i watched him as well as others in the tournament, hmmmm , by the way, where was vandy in the tournament, TWO tournaments ago? oh yeah, they weren't even there. langhi is very athletic, but i have seen nothing more than a few attempted dunks and SEVERAL airballs. at least najera hit his shots, by the way, langhi pretty much always plays against scrubs and gets pushed around ALL THE TIME. he is weak, soft, and is very questionable. i bet you were probably a big matt maloney and brice drew guy too, huh?

------------------

7. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Who cares if Langhi is "soft" (at least by your definition). He is more the type of player the Rockets need on our team than Najera. He is a tall, fast, pure shooter, and with two guards who can penetrate and dish out, we need our SF to be able to hit that shot.

Sure Najera can play hard and push people around, racking up fouls at a fast rate (which he does), but he would not fit well into the Rockets system, and Rudy knew it.

------------------
    Give me ambiguity or give me something else.

8. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Give me a break. Najera hasn't done anything this year in Dallas except at the end of games that mean nothing. Brag about him when he regularly does something of note other than excel in garbage minutes. Until then he's another nobody in a draft that's to this point looked like one of the worst drafts ever.

------------------
    NBA Draft Lottery is May 20th. Start praying now.

9. Band Geek Mobster

Dan Langhi was the SEC player of the year, he beat out Stromile Swift, obviously he has a lot of talent. How does a soft small forward that looks like Bambi become player of the year in one of the best conferences in the league?

6'11 Small Forwards that have excellent range and nice all around ability come by a lot less often than slow 6'8 small forwards that play tough, but lack any serious playing skills.

To compare Langhi to Matt Maloney and Bryce Drew is a joke. The majority of his teammates do nothing but praise his sweet shot and athleticism.

Najera's only played in 40 regular season games, why don't the Mavs give this guy more time if he's so good?

Langhi doesn't get playing time b/c he still needs to bulk up.

What's Najera's excuse?

------------------
    "You brought a Pomeranian bowling?"

"What do you mean "brought it bowling"? I didn't rent it shoes. I'm not buying it a beer. He's not gonna take your turn, Dude."

[This message has been edited by Band Geek Mobster (edited May 10, 2001).]

10. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

OU sucks

------------------
    "Oh No..."
    -Bill Walton in 97 just before Stockton's buzzer beater

11. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

2000-2001 per 48 minute averages:

Najera - 14.59 points
    Langhi - 17.93 points

Najera - 10.58 rebounds
    Langhi - 8.17 rebounds

Najera - 1.89 turnovers
    Langhi - 1.59 turnovers

Looks like a wash to me. By the way, Bryce Drew had a good NCAA tournament as well.

------------------

12. PurvisShort

PurvisShort Member

OU sucks.
    Hook em Horns.

------------------
    purvis was never short.

13. The Cat

hmmmm , by the way, where was vandy in the tournament, TWO tournaments ago? oh yeah, they weren't even there.

Oh I see now! It's Langhi's fault he didn't have the teammates that Najera did, and that Vanderbilt doesn't have near the money OU does for players? Now it makes sense. [​IMG]

------------------

14. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

I second that.

------------------

15. Rocketsauce

Rocketsauce Contributing Member

Maybe we can sign Najera when he is released by the Mavericks. Then we can let them shoot HORSE or something to determine who makes the team.

Than again, maybe HORSE would be unfair considering Najera can't shoot the ball.

OU Sucks!!! And I went to CU

------------------

16. SwiftRocket

SwiftRocket Member

Najera is a pf!! Langhi can be a dirk nowitzki, but better!! Langhi will have a breakout season next year just watch!! when dallas drafted dirk, everyone was like what is don smokin? who's this guy dirk? 3 yrs down the road everyone knows him now! That's the same way its goin to be w/ Langhi! 3 yrs down the road, everyone's gonna slap themselves and ask why they didnt draft langhi earlier. As for najera, the guy simply is not athletic, he's just a hustler. But they got plenty of hustlers in the league. You dont have that many 6 11 players who has handles, a sweet shot and athleticism like dan langhi. It's all about supply and demand!!!!!!!!!! And for all you people complaining about langhi throw airballs everytime he shoots, the man's jus nervous!! he'll calm down next season. I would like to end this by asking one question: If langhi sux so bad, why does francis always give him props about his athleticism, and have u heard rudy t brag about this guy? jus wait gram! and you ll see that langhi is betta than thhat scrub najera!

------------------

17. cson

cson Contributing Member

NA-JE-RA! NA-JE-RA! NA-JE-RA!

------------------
    C-son
    --------------
    "When life gives you lemons, Shut up and eat the lemons!" - Harry Solomon

18. Colby

Colby Member

I watched Najera in DFW, back in Htown now, and the dude hustles. He is a spark off the bench that provides some rebounds. Thats it. He need more PT to show what he has.

As for all the comparisons between Langhi and Dirk....get real. Not only is Langhi a year older, look at his shooting %. He barely made 50% of his FT. If Langhi even turns out half as good as Dirk, that would suprise me.

------------------
    "Chucky who? I thought we were talking about basketball?" Charles Barkley

19. Live

Live Member

You do realize that this is a thread comparing 2 12th men?

------------------

20. Rocketsauce

Rocketsauce Contributing Member

I don't know what is funnier. Hearing bad slang or seeing it written out.

Either way it's f*cking hilarious. I would try and write that way myself but unfortunately I am white and nothing is more pathetic than a white guy ripping off black culture. But I'm sure that doesn't apply to anyone else here.

[​IMG]

------------------