1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

McNair leads another comeback...

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by PhiSlammaJamma, Dec 4, 2000.

1. PhiSlammaJamma

This comeback thing is getting to be old hat for Steve McNair. He made it look real easy with no time outs. As he always does. The Titans are playoff ready. Derrick Mason is a god. I hate to say it, but I think Thigpen is going to dropped after this year unless he wants to stay on a 4th WR. It looks like it will be Pickens, Dyson, and Mason next year. Mason deserves the minutes. We could trade Thiggy for something decent.

------------------
    humble, but hungry.

2. Dream34

Dream34 Contributing Member

PhiSlammaJamma,
    I agree with you. McNair has a special gift when it comes to leading a team in crunch time. He has done it all year. Even in our loss to Baltimore he led us down the field and got the Titans with an opportunity to win it at the end. He is a leader and a clutch go to guy. You can count on him when the game is on the line. That is a stat that usually goes unnoticed. But the only stat that matters is wins. McNair is a winner.

I was so glad that Al Del Greco made that last field goal. He has stood up and taken the share of criticism that has come his way over the past three weeks. It was nice to see him get that clutch 50 yard field goal (in addition to the other 4 he made). I hope the monkey is off his back and he can go back to being Automatic Al!

Well it will go down to the last three weeks. Lets see if the Titans can get home field advantage throughout the playoffs.

I just wish the Titans would try to take a few more downfield attempts throughout the course of a game.

I agree with you that Yancey will most likely not be a Titan next year. I guess some of this depends upon if the Titans can resign Mason. The man has been Mr. Everything for the Titans. It also depends upon if Dyson can come back from his ACL injury. But Yancey is costing the Titans alot against the cap. To be honest I am not sure if Pickens will be back next year. Granted he has been out the last 5-6 games he has not been utilized to his full potential. Maybe he is still learning the system. Who knows.

------------------
    Titan's fanatic!!!!

It was the first time the Titans sent an offense to the line of scrimmage with Eddie George in the backfield behind McNair to go with Wycheck at tight end and Carl Pickens, Kevin Dyson and Yancey Thigpen at wide receiver.

So many choices, with a full season still ahead.

"I think that might be scary for a defense," Dyson said.

3. PhiSlammaJamma

Good points. Home field is within our reach. We have three relatively easy games on the schedule. It can be done. We may very well be 13-3, again! wow!

Del Greco deserved the win. He's made a lot of game winners in the past too. He just hit a bad streak, but I'm glad he got it out of the way before the playoffs. Now We've been re-energized by the kick!

As far as downfield attempts. God yes. Pickens is who we need to do it. He can go up and get a ball. Or protect against the errant deep pass. He's the key. We need him back. I think when we go to the shotgun we have a very effective deep passing game. It seems McNair does better out of the gun. Out of the pro set he likes to dump it short. He's great though. I can't complain with 13-3 and 10-3 records.

------------------
    humble, but hungry.

4. Dream34

PhiSlammaJamma,
    Well I guess Jeff Fisher must be reading this BBS and my last post. [​IMG]

The Titans did exactly what I wanted them to do. They actually threw some deep downfield passes. I realize it was only the Bengals. But the fact that Coach Fisher decided to open up the offense (even just a little) will help the Titans in the playoffs. I mean if Yancey Thigpen and Carl Pickens get more involved in our offense that can only lead to good things. I know the Titans are still going to be a ball control team but adding the vertical passing game will only help to diversify there offense during the playoffs. I mean I could not believe I was watching the Titans because they even ran two trick plays.

It was also a nice touch of Coach Fisher to let Al Del Greco be in on the last play of the game (without the game being on the line). Check out this article. It shows what kind of person Coach Fisher is.
    http://www.tennessean.com/sports/titans/01262138.shtml?Element_ID=1262138

------------------
    Titan's fanatic!!!!

It was the first time the Titans sent an offense to the line of scrimmage with Eddie George in the backfield behind McNair to go with Wycheck at tight end and Carl Pickens, Kevin Dyson and Yancey Thigpen at wide receiver.

5. PhiSlammaJamma

Fisher read everything you wrote. We opened up going deep with Thigpen and closed it out going deep to Pickens! All the players were talking about how great it was to open up the offense. Good call on your part. Pickens and Thigpen were saying the right things too...understanding that Sanders and Mason got us here... so those two should get the playing time... and also saying that those two deserve to be getting big minutes as the season closes out... and yet, they will do whatever they can to contribute and sneak into the rotation.

Del Greco finally got some relief! Way cool for Fisher to do that for him.

Wychek was awesome. Great pass. I was sad he didn't throw for yet another TD! He must have an awesome passing rating over his career. Woo Hoo! Trick plays....yum.

I watched the game at the ESPN sportszone in DC. I was the only Titan Fan there, but I was representin us in Jevon's jersey.

Next week we get Cleveland. Once again a good opportunity for us to practice the dwonfield action. It should be a blow out.

I didn't know until last weekend that Sanders took a paycut to stay on the team. That is something wonderful. Especially knowing he wasn't going to see the light of day if he was on this team. And it all worked out. He even got to see major field action this year. It goes to show you that when you do the right thing it works out. Everyone has contributed this year. We have a well rounded team and home field is within our grasp!!

------------------
    humble, but hungry.

6. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Amazing the Talent you can amass when
    you tank two season in a row
    leave town THEN spend the money to win

BTW As far as size and stature
    McNair and Culpepper look the same
    THEY ARE BIG GUYS . . Mobile and Scary
    I think we will see them meet in the superbowl
    and I'm ALL VIKINGs

Rocket River
    NAAAA I AIN'T BITTER

------------------

7. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I see TheFreak's keyboard smoking already...

------------------
    If you like larger booties, Domanique Sachsa would be on that list as well.
    --Jeff of SaveMeSomeBooty.com fame in the BBS Hangout forum (hope the man doesn't run for a political position - he's dead meat)

8. Dream34

Rocketriver,
    I am sorry to burst your bubble but the Titans did not get where they are at because of a couple of bad seasons.

The Titans are in the position they are now because of great drafting (for the past several years). Just because you suck for a couple of years and have high draft picks does not make you a contender. Just take a look at the LA Clippers, Bengals, etc.

The Titans do their homework when it comes to the draft (year in and year out). In fact two of the Titans present stars Eddie George and Jevon Kerse were both drafted towards the middle of the first round. That says something. Also the Titans use the entire draft. Most of their past draft picks are now starters on the team or playing some role. The key is that in the present set-up of the NFL with salary caps and outrageous salaries you have to be good at using the draft to be successful.

Just take a look at the Redskins. Most of their team is made up of free-agents and most of the Titans team is made up of their own draft picks.

PS- PhiSlammaJamma - Stay cool. I have watched every Titans game this year as well. I head down to the local sports bar and catch it on the NFL package. I am also representing by either wearing my Jevon jersey or Eddie Jersey. Being that I catch the games in Miami I am the only Titans fan.

Well homefield throughout the playoffs is in our reach. We just have to win our last two games and the AFC representative will have to go through the Titans land. I love it!! I am praying for 5 more wins!!!! Go Titans!!

------------------
    Titan's fanatic!!!!

9. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Dream34

OH . . Those two Heisman folx
    have nothing to do with their success?
    Of course the WHOLE front office has
    changed since they left houston

I think they are a good team
    but will never be a fan and always an
    enemy because they [their owner]
    tank his way out of Houston . . .
    and reaped some nice benefits
    from it. . . . as far as the team is concern
    [Why did McNair get not PT in houston?
    why trade away the Half the D-line for nothing?
    Why let Moon got to hang with CARLSON???]

Rocket River
    YEAH . . . I'M BITTER!!!!@!#$^$%@^457

------------------

10. Dream34

Rocket River,
    My example of Eddie George and Jevon Kerse was to show that they were not obtained by using a top 3 draft pick. They were both taken around 15 or so in the first round. They are both star players for the Titans. I am not denying that. In fact the last player that I can recall in which the Oilers/Titans used a high draft pick on was Steve McNair.

The Titans have drafted several players in the later rounds (i.e. Blaine Bishop 8th Round, Derrick Mason 4th Round, Marcus Robertson 4th round). Even Jon Runyan who is now with the Eagles was drafted by the Titans in the 4th round.

To answer your question about why McNair did not get playing time in Houston. Well it was only his rookie year and the Oilers had a good QB in Chris Chandler. It was the philosophy of the Oilers management/coaching staff to not throw McNair right into the fire. Let him learn from the sidelines. Well from the looks of things it is paying off. Not every rookie QB can be expected to start in his first or even second season. McNair was one that needed time to develop into an NFL QB.

Why trade half the D-line for nothing? Not sure who you are referring to.

Why let Moon go to hang with Carlson?
    My thinking was that they could not pay Moon what he was going to get. So they traded him to the Vikings. Based on his play as back-up Carlson looked like he would be a good starter. He did not pan out as a starter. The gamble did not pay off for the Oilers. At the time I was not to happy about trading Moon.

I can understand your comments about the owner. I don't care for Bud Adams much myself. I just love the team. Loved them when they were the Oilers and love them now as the Titans! I can understand how fans who live in Houston feel used by Bud.

------------------
    Titan's fanatic!!!!

11. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

The Year moon left
    they also let
    Sean Jones and The FULLER RUSH man
    go
    Jones went to GB and got a ring
    Fuller had a nice year that next year too
    [I'll concede the death of Alm [sp?] could
    not be predicted]

Rocket River
    I just feel bud Tanked to drive down attendance