1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

McHale says Dwight Howard gets over losses easily

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rockets13champs, Feb 19, 2016.

1. rockets13champs

On espn firsttake, kevin Mchale was quoted and said to get over losses quickly. After a loss about 5 mins later he would have moved on. And that got mchale livid. He would give his 100% on the floor and then after a tough loss he would be over it and move on. It was discussed on espn first take. They did say dwight was a great guy. But this was his one "flaw"

2. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Ball is not life for Dwight Howard.

Dude just won the genetic lotto.

3. J.R.

J.R. Member

McHale said that yesterday on Mike & Mike

Dwight called himself a champion after the Rockets lost to the Warriors.

Dwight told the former Magic CEO that he compared himself to Jordan, Ali & Mandela.

#3 J.R., Feb 19, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  4. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

McHale sees misery as a strength. Not everyone work in the same way.

For McHale, that misery could be his downturn. People don't necessary feel good around a miserable person.

5. tmac2k8

tmac2k8 Member

dwight sure seemed pissed off last season at the fan gathering following the loss to Golden State. I dont know, in the playoffs he does seem genuinely upset about losses.

1 person likes this.
  6. Nook

Nook Member

Yeah he sounds like a real idiot :rolleyes:

I don't think that he is the perfect head coach by any stretch of the imagination but he is bright.

Also what really needs to be realized, highlighted is the point on P&R defense by Howard. This is HUGE. In the past Howard was able to switch or even cheat and prevent easy baskets. He can no longer do that. He is still a good straight up defender. He is still a very good rebounder. However he is not the player that he was even a year ago.

7. ThaShark316_28

If it makes anyone feel better, I get over losses in 5 minutes, as well.

8. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Dwight's just too cheery and happy. He is not a guy to get angry whatsoever. He doesn't suffer enough.

9. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

dwight thinks he's a champ and on jordan's and ali's level
    harden thinks he's the best player in the world
    morey thinks 50 threes from average shooters are better than 50 twos

yikes

10. Dhoward12

Dhoward12 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/CoachKiller?src=hash">#CoachKiller</a> though <a href="https://t.co/pnGknNiaOd">pic.twitter.com/pnGknNiaOd</a></p>&mdash; Nate Jones (@JonesOnTheNBA) <a href="https://twitter.com/JonesOnTheNBA/status/700694534523482112">February 19, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Seems Mchale Actually Liked Dwight

11. bmd

bmd Member

I totally get Dwight. I was the same way.

I really loved playing the game of basketball. I was good (relatively speaking) and played through college. Because I liked the game so much, my attitude was more about having fun, as child-like as that might sound.

After a loss, I was never that upset about it because I just had a lot of fun playing during the game and I personally did well so I'd get over it very quickly. Winning wasn't everything to me. I didn't play basketball to win. I played basketball because I loved to play basketball win or lose.

I get more fired up about Rockets games than I did when I played.

I bet it's similar for Dwight.

12. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

It's somewhat OK, but not for the leader of the team

Team Leaders should stay in the moment longer, because several of their teammates will be. The role players who remain upset longer might not understand a leader who shrugs it off. Leaders should turn that bad feeling of teammates into positives for the next game

there arent too many coaches who would shrug off losses, so why should team leaders

btw: anecdotes from amateurs has no value in this. we could say that attitude is part of the reason you never made it. :)

13. HeyDude

HeyDude Contributing Member

I don't care what he feels like after the loss as long as he plays like he does in the playoffs. Frankly, that's the best a Rocket has played since Dream (in playoffs). He has been dominant. Regular season is a different story ;)

1 person likes this.
  14. marky :)

marky :) Member

I think the best thing to take from JR's post is this:

He can't be Harden's Robin.

15. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

When a coach answered the media more than often for the reasons of why we lost a game will be "I don't know, I don't have an answer for it".

How the fork you can expect a player to remember the loss after 5 minutes later?

16. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

To be the best at anything, you have to have an abnormal psychological disposition. That is why they are the best. Dwight doesn't have it, but that is okay. The rockets just needs to have someone that does. I was hoping Harden had it, but he cares about the lifestyle too much to be the best.

17. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You totally beat me to it. To me, that's the key line in the whole thing. Dwight is not the problem in Houston but also isn't the solution.

Pretty sure we all have an idea who McHale might see as the problem though.

18. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

it would be hard for me to stay upset coming home to all that $$$$$$$$$$

19. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

You don't do things the way did, so it must be wrong. There is only one way to do everything.

20. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

James Harden is the problem here and this management tried to bring in other players to be the solution for this problem.

Dwight helps but ultimately proved he aint the solution either.

Lawson tried, and proved he didn't even help at all and failed miserably.

So there is no easy and simple solution on this problem, the coaches knew it, the management knew it.

You don't expect to bring in anyone in this stage to solve this problem - James Harden.

James Harden needs to solve this problem by himself and himself only.

This is the only leap of faith left for this management and this franchise.