1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

McHale ranks 9th in COY award.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Fair Dinkum, May 8, 2013.

1. Fair Dinkum

Fair Dinkum Member

McHale gor 9th position in Coach of the Year voting.

George Karl of the Denver Nuggets won COY.

I was surprised by this ranking. I know the arguments about taking the youngest team to the playoffs... rarara. Its obvious from the first few games he had talent in an emerging superstar James Harden and solid starters in Asik, Parsons and Lin. But I thought McHale had a horrible season with terrible rotations and in-game coaching decisions. He surprised me and redeemed himself in the playoffs with some good adjustments and defensive strategies (zone).

Having said all that, I would rank him above average but not in the top 10.

What's your opinion on McHale's coaching? Strengths and Weaknesses?

2. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

3. Swishh

Swishh Member

Thibs 8th? Pfft..

4. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

5. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

1st: All the coaches with votes were in the playoffs
    2nd: the thing you said about the youngest team had something to do with it. Also when we were expected to do much worse and then we made the playoffs, the coach gets some credit for that.

6. kastuul

kastuul Member

Harden ISO, bad rotation, blame the players,
    can't win any game in OT.

He may get better if the Rockets upgrade the front-court.

1 person likes this.
  7. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

9th is about right. He proved to be not as stubborn as first thought. And his players mostly like him. I would rather swap him for Sampson but could do worse.

8. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Mark Jackson not win

9. seancom103

seancom103 Member

Well, it would have been crazy if he was in the top 5, and even crazier if he fell out of the top 10. So I'm fine with 9.

10. Fair Dinkum

Fair Dinkum Member

But I think we were expected to do a lot worse until we got Harden.
    Once we got Harden and especially after the first two games when he put his skills on display... expectations changed and we were supposed to make the playoffs.

One of his biggest challenges was to make Lin and Harden work together and I don't think he's quite achieved that.

11. Fair Dinkum

Fair Dinkum Member

Wow, watching the GS v Spurs g.2 now and it was reported;

GS coach Mark Jackson said, "Even though he (David Lee) was cleared to play, I have too much respect for him as person and as a player to put him out on the floor".

Remember Lee is an All Star and a vital part of the GS team.

I instantly thought of the Derrick Rose situation in Chicago and the Lin situation during the playoffs.

I understand that each injury situation is different, add to that the fact that Lin's decision to return was given to the Medical staff to make after his disastrous decision to try and come back in game 3, was putting letting Lin play in game 6 a good or bad decision? and what's the best way to approach these playoff injury situations.

I hate GS and Mark Jackson but I kind of respect him as a coach after hearing this.

Actually, I think he's a better coach than McHale.

12. Lateralus

Lateralus Member

Jackson is meh. And don't bring in Derrick Rose. This dude is disappointing while being cleared for months and having 5v5 practice. He should have come back for the playoffs, but seeing how he probably knows Miami is unbeatable in a 7 game series, and as how a lot of the Bulls are injured...why return.

13. thedude077

thedude077 Member

George Karl really deserved to win. Sending an average team to the playoffs, to the third seed and winning 15 games in a row. That's a huge accomplishment. They need to trade down their players for draft picks and try to land a superstar(do it the Morey way) if they want to be contenders.

14. Lateralus

Lateralus Member

He really shouldn't have won. They have great players, but non are considered stars which is misleading. Thibs should have won it hands down with all the injuries, his MVP going down etc. Once again Karl has gotten an overrated season, only to fail in the playoffs year after year. Can't use Melo as an excuse this time. Wrong person got this award in the end.

15. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Where's Adelman? Lol

16. Fair Dinkum

Fair Dinkum Member

I can't believe Vinny Del Negro (Clippers) got 10th!
    There's been a lot of speculation he's on his way out because of his performance this year.

McHale also on the same level as Thibs is just wrong!

17. jsonic6

jsonic6 Contributing Member

Woodson (3rd) over Pops (4th)... GTFO.

18. Ender120

Ender120 Contributing Member

Yeah, me too, because both Rose and Lin are perennial MVP candidates.

:rolleyes:

19. CasaDolce

CasaDolce Rookie

Making the 5th best PnR player a spot-up shooter...

20. munco

munco Member

9th is very generous although it's even more absurd that Thibodeau is only one spot above him at #8.