1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Marvel Movie] Guardians of the Galaxy 2

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, Aug 12, 2014.

1. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

James Gunn Dishes On Star-Lord's Dad And THANOS' Role In GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY 2'

Guardians of the Galaxy 2 releases July 28, 2017

Will the mad titan Thanos be the main baddie in Guardians of the Galaxy 2? Is Peter Quill's father the Emperor of the Spartoi Empire, like in the comics? Director James Gunn answers both after the jump

"There have been a lot of documents passed around about who Peter Quill’s father is between a select two or three of us," says James Gunn of the question raised at the end of Guardians of the Galaxy, which will be answered in the 2017 sequel. "That’s been part of the plan since the beginning, that’s something I had to work out before we shot the screenplay. We wanted to make sure Yondu’s place in everything made sense and it does, so it’s all very specific stuff." For those speculating on who Peter Quill's father might be in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, the director then confirmed to Empire that J'son, aka Jason of Spartax, who is Star-Lord's father in the comics, can be ruled out. "It’s definitely not the character who it is in the comics, I’ll say that much," Gunn said.

Another character who is expected to appear, or rather return, in Guardians of the Galaxy 2 is none other than Thanos, played by Josh Brolin. In fact, there is heavy speculation the mad titan will be the main villain in the 2017 sequel, which would then set in motion his heavier presence in Marvel's Avengers 3. However, Gunn confirms that that will not exactly be the case. "He will show up [in the sequel] if he helps our story and he will not show up at all if not," he said."Thanos is not the most important thing in Guardians 2, that’s for damn sure. There’s the Guardians themselves and other threats the Guardians are going to be facing that are not Thanos." The director continued, "I think Thanos has been lonely for a long time. He can handle it. He’s used to his loneliness. He’s got some other kids out there. He’s got to look after them. Nebula’s probably the sweetest of them, which tells you what his kids are like..." Anyhow, Guardians of the Galaxy 2 releases July 28, 2017.

2. bobmarley

bobmarley Contributing Member

BOOOO.... What are they thinking? They are killing Star Lord's character and back story.

This is my least favorite thing in the movie as well.

3. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

Little confused about this one as well. Curious to see where they go with it.

4. Jontro

Jontro Member

Will watch.

5. DreamRoxCoogFan

I'll be the first to say the inevitable.

It's not as good as the first.

6. Juxtaposed Jolt

I can't think of an example where the sequel was better than the first, besides Captain America 2.

But if Gunn can keep the funny going in the second one, you never know.

7. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Empire Strikes Back?
    Dark Knight?
    Godfather 2?

8. Juxtaposed Jolt

Obviously I meant Marvel movies?

9. Indaface

Indaface Member

Iron Man 2 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Iron Man 1

10. Jontro

Jontro Member

Edward Norton Hulk >>> Eric Bana Hulk ?

11. Juxtaposed Jolt

Ooh, I'll give you that one. Though I don't consider the former to be a sequel to the latter. At all.

So...half a point to Jontro!

12. Juxtaposed Jolt

[​IMG]

13. Indaface

Indaface Member

Just kidding on the Iron Man but if you're talking Marvel studios themselves then Cap is only superior legit sequel.

First Hulk was outside studio with help of Marvel so that wouldn't technically count. Because if we're talking general Marvel X2 was superior to X1.

14. bobmarley

bobmarley Contributing Member

New XMEN movie better than last one.

15. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

No it wasn't.

16. Juxtaposed Jolt

I honestly couldn't pick between the two. The second one had too much JLaw though. And I never thought that'd be a bad thing.

I think the acting in the second one by Fassbender and McAvoy were better though. Especially the scene between Yung X and OG X. So good.

17. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Date moved to May 5, 2017.

18. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Is changing the origin of his father making you guys upset because his father and heritage bring a lot to the character and you think they're missing the boat? Or are you just partial to the original character''s backstory?

Does who his father is in the comic move the story forward and add any real value to the series?

19. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

20. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

In the comics last year there was an event (Infinite) involving Thanos that heavily involved the Guardians, and Star Lord's father (J'Son). I don't think it's a big deal that they're changing it, but depending on "who" they make his dad it could certainly make things weird. I just hope they don't do something stupid like say he's related to Thanos somehow, or some garbage. With that said, I trust James Gunn -- I'm okay with them making changes.