1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Marriage Preparation

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Davidoff, Oct 8, 2007.

1. Davidoff

Davidoff Contributing Member

As some of you know I'll be getting married soon, if not here is a little background on us...

I’ve been dating my fiancé for around 10 years, we have been engaged for about a year and we will be getting married this March.. She is catholic and while I have been mainly attending Catholic Church I’m not what you would call a “true catholic” I have never been confirmed or baptized catholic (I was baptized Presbyterian)…

Even before we were engaged I knew it was important to her to be married in the Catholic Church and for me attending Catholic Church for many years I was happy to agree.

We knew before even going in that we would be bombarded with tasks and meetings before we would be allowed to be married in the church. Knowing all of this I prepared myself the best I could even though I was blind of what was to come..

The Process..

Step one: The Meetings
    After picking a church we were both happy with we had our first of many meeting with the priest. Typically our meetings lasted between an hour or two and consisted of talking about our relationship and going over standardized material from the church. The main material was a test called FOCCUS (Facilitating Open Couple Communication Understanding and Study)

Step two: The “sponsor couple”
    During our process we had the option of attending a weekend retreat or meeting with a sponsor couple many time to go over a workbook (For Better & Forever). We decided that the sponsor couple would work better for us and we proceeded to setup our first meeting.

Step three: Reporting the priest
    After going through all our standardized materials and meetings we were to meet with the priest to finalize the process and proceed with the wedding..

The problems..

I first started having problems with the process after receiving our “scores” of the FOCCUS test. Our priest remarked that he has never seen a couple get so few differences on the test before and I though we would be in good shape because of it, but I was wrong.. After receiving our scores we proceeded to have addition meeting to go over any answers that her and I differed on.. Out of about 150 questions we had only 6 different answers from each other.. These meeting would run about and hour each time and this priest would not provide open dialogue for us to talk he would instead do what he is best at, preach..

My fiancé is a psychologist and understands the correct way of handing this type of setting for discussion and unfortunately our priest did not and even I could pickup on it..

My biggest problem with the whole process was that even though we have been together so long, know each other so well, know what we expect from each other moving forward and “scored” so well on their test the church wanted to continue with what we thought was a remedial process for our stage of a relationship..

The last straw for me was after finishing my workbook and reviewing my answers only to find some of the questions ridiculous like “What is your partners favorite food?”.. After completing all of our meetings with the priest to go over our FOCCUS test along with each of us finishing our “For Better & Forever” workbook the next step would have been to meet with our “sponsor couple” to go over the answers in our workbook.. My fiancé and I began talking about our doubts about the whole process and worried about what other ill advice some amateurs were going to tell us.. To be fair the “sponsor couple” had completed one class through the church in order to be part of the program.. :rolleyes:

Because of the hesitation we had about the “sponsor couple” my fiancé went to talk with the priest about our concerns, unfortunately those talks resulted in more of the same and we needed to follow the program to continue… That is when we started to question the whole process for getting married in the Catholic Church in general...

I feel that no matter where you are in a relationship the Catholic Church will provide you with the same information, but try to bill it as something it’s not.. Along with giving us very minimal personalized attention as couple and using a very specific methodology it was enough for us to drop the plan for the Catholic Church all together..

I know that this was a mutual decision for us to change the church and I even told her that I would have no problem continuing with the program if she still felt strongly about finishing it, but I cant help feel terrible about the change.. I guess that’s what the Catholic Church does best, making a person feel guilty..

We have since decided to change the church to a Methodist Church and have been very happy with the decision thus far..

After it’s all said and done, I feel that we happened to get stuck with a priest that we did not have confidence in and therefore the program as well.. I really wish it could have worked with the church because I do happen to like this priest normally, but he has no business giving people advice on relationships and the church needs to totally overhaul the process they currently have in place.

2. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

Interesting read.. Hope all goes well!

3. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Good luck, Davidoff. My wife is Catholic, though not practicing, and I am Jewish (very much non-practicing). We wanted to incorporate both into our ceremony. That's why we found a great Unitarian priest to do our wedding. He did what we wanted and was very respectful of our choices. I can't imagine what you guys went through even to get to that point. To have been together that long just to be treated like a couple of teenagers.

4. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Davidoff,

I'm glad that your fiance didn't have a problem with you and her getting married in the Methodist church. Religion is a big part of your relationship and it is important that the two of you can agree on how to handle that. My mother and father are very different when it comes to their religions - she goes to an Episcopal church (and has also gone to the Methodist church) while my father doesn't even go. I don't know how they have done it but they have made it work as it will be 42 years at the end of December that they have been married.

As for me - it doesn't bother me to go to the church that my wife goes to (I was Methodist and she is Church of Christ). I feel for the most part, it shouldn't matter what church you go to as long as you a Christian and practice it (admittedly something that I haven't done a good job of doing in the past). But I can say it would be extremely hard for me to adjust to going to the Catholic church if my wife was Catholic. I went there one Saturday evening service and got turned off with them when I read their bulletin, specifically about communion:

This is what they had to say (I'm paraphrasing here):

"It is an unfortunate circumstance that those people who are not members of the Catholic church cannot partake in our Communion. We hope you understand and accept our stance on this issue."

What a load of flaming bullsh!t, I thought to myself when I read that. It made me want to jump up and take communion anyway just to see if they would notice that I was not Catholic. :rolleyes:

5. WildSweet&Cool

My wife (and her family) are Catholic. I am not. I'm non-denominational Christian (grew up Lutheran).

The Catholic Church tried to put us through that rigmarole, too. Early into it (when they wanted us to do a retreat with the other Catholic couple), I said (in a not-this-mean way), "what are we trying to accomplish with all this stuff? We're getting married. We can get married in your Church. If your church wants to turn their back on a Christian couple that wants to get married, we'll get married in another church. We'd like to get married in your church, please accommodate us."

We agreed to briefly speak with another couple (which we did) and we got married in the Catholic Church.

We've been married for 11 years now. She's still Catholic. I'm still not. I do not hold the Catholic church in high regards at all. And over the years that I've been attending Catholic church, I become more and more certain that I'll never join.

I can speak further about my opinions, if you wish.

6. cson

cson Contributing Member

I know how ya feel, similar scenario here. My wife & I were together 8 years. It seemed ridiculous to have a priest and some newbie couple counseling us. We chose to get married by some hippie on a hill :D

7. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

My wife grew up Catholic so we jumped through all these hoops. We did a weekend class thingy, and the FOCUS test. We then met with a dude to talk about the FOCUS test and that's about it.

I don't think we had to have a sponsor couple or anything.

I think you made a good choice. You jumped through the hoops, weren't happy about it and chose one of the hundreds of other churches that will marry you when you are ready.

8. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Well, at least your wedding guest will be happy. They don't have to sit through an hour long ceremony. :D

9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

I always found it a bit hypocritical, I mean what does a priest know about marriage?

DD

10. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Maybe you shouldn't have FOCCUSed and should have FOKASSed...

11. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

Well, to be fair (and this is coming from a non-catholic that did the catholic marriage), the classes, retreats, and counseling all came from married people.

The retreat/weekend thing was run by various married couples, the test and counseling was run by a married psycologist, etc.

12. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

I don't know what has gotten into you lately Manny, but you really need to chill. The fact that you cannot respect the rules of the Catholic church when you are visiting their parish is disturbing. The fact that you would call their process of confirmation and first communion as a sarament "flaming bullsh!t" is pretty telling really.

I was raised Catholic. My ex was raised Jewish. I would never have gone to her parents' place of worship and even had a thought like what you have expressed. It is about respecting the religious beliefs of the people you are with...sorry to see you don't get that.

13. WildSweet&Cool

Yeah, but what's the point? Why do they make you go through all that?

If they don't believe you are compatible, are they going to refuse to marry you?
    Is it such a privilege to be married in a Catholic church that you have to qualify?

What a bunch of BS.

14. Blake

Not 100% sure, but I think it has to do with the fact that the Catholic Church is against divorce, so they try to prepare you as well as they can for marriage. It's all part of their process

15. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

Generally, they will not refuse to marry you. The theory (that happens sometimes), is that if you are truly incompatible, you will discover that through all of the testing and meetings etc. At that point, the couple decides to call it off. I have seen it happen.

16. WildSweet&Cool

But that wasn't preparation for marriage. Ya wanna prepare someone for marriage? Make 'em cook and clean a house for three people for a few days.

None of their stuff was preparation. Their stuff (and I'm using the word "stuff" to be somewhat friendly here) is focused on whether or not the couple should get married.

Well, ya know what? When a couple approaches the Catholic church and says, "We've decided to get married. Please marry us." The Catholic church should respect that statement and do it. Instead, they blatantly disrespect the statement and interpret as, "We think we might want to get married, can you help us make our decision?"

BS. Pure and simple.

17. Blake

*backs slowly away from the thread*

:p :p

18. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

Does your priest happen to be Robin Williams?

[​IMG]

19. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Dude, I am not going to "chill" just because I want to express my opinion on something. If it bothers you that much, you can put me on ignore. I just thought it was highly arrogant and pompous that someone who is a Christian but not a "Catholic" couldn't partake in their communion. I have been to Methodist, Baptist, Episcopalian, Nazarene, Church of God, Church of Christ, Presbyterian, etc. churches either as a member or visitor and I have never been told that I couldn't take communion just because I wasn't a member of that church or denomination. The whole thing smacked of elitism and that type of attitude is one reason (along with the hypocrisy) why so many people dislike the Catholic Church. Believe me, Refman, I would rather watch paint dry on a wall than go to another Catholic church service.
    And I was raised that no religion is better than another. For God's sake man, Methodists (which is what I was at the time) and Catholics are both christians, last time I check. Yea, I can understand that thinking and philosophy if I was at a Jewish service or some other major branch of religion that isn't Christianity. But it was very disappointing to see that at another christian church. No wonder, we are losing people in the christian faith - stupid petty stylistic differences over how you are baptised, whether you can take communion, etc. Why can't it be that as Christians we can all worship at one place and do things one way?? Why does it have to be so segregated and complex?? I am not cracking on you Refman but that bugs the **** out of me. And you might think I am not respecting the religious beliefs of the people I am with but why should their beliefs be any different from mine?? We are both Christians, the last time I checked.

20. WildSweet&Cool

LOL!

Hey! Wait! Come back here!!!