1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mark Cuban says the NBA threatened $1 Million fine for discussing Kobe Bryant’s contract

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by mr. 13 in 33, Mar 15, 2013.

1. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

http://www.slamonline.com/online/nb...e-for-discussing-kobe-bryants-contract-video/

2. Anxiety Trooper

This is why I hate stern and the NBA.

3. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Ditto.

Cue "Godfather" theme music.

(wah wah wah wah, wah WAH wah)

Waaaaaaaaaaay too Mafia-like, waaaaaaaaay too dictatorial.

(wah wah wah wah, wah WAH wah)

Sure, Cuban might overstep sometimes, and all he did was hurt his own team when Kobe used the comments as bulletin board material.

(wah wah wah WAH, wah wah, wah wah)

Stern's done a lot of good as far as marketing the NBA, but he must have been one heck of a jackslapping lawyer in his day. You don't dare cross him. And he takes EVERY comment as a personal affront to his power. He would say, "to the integrity of the NBA", which is funny, because, between the refs and the "for basketball reasons" rescinded trades and whatnot, he's his own worst enemy in the integrity department.

(wah wah WAH, wah weh.........)

4. TheShooter

TheShooter Member

What did actually Cuban say about Kobe's contract? That they should amnestie him to sign Dwight is it only that?

5. J.R.

J.R. Member

Reminds me of the comments he made to SVG a few years ago: “I would venture a guess that we’re not going to be hearing from him for the rest of the season,” Stern said. “I think when he stops and reads what he said, realizes what he did, he will say no more.

“This is the system David Stern and his minions like,” Van Gundy said. “So that’s the system you have … I certainly can’t have an opinion because David Stern, like a lot of leaders we’ve seen in this world lately, don’t really tolerate other people’s opinion or free speech or anything. So I’m not really allowed to have an opinion.”

Stern said Van Gundy’s comments stemmed from frustration with his own team, rather than with the league.

“I see somebody whose team isn’t performing, whose star player is suspended, who seems to be fraying,” Stern said of Van Gundy.

When asked if he’s worried about any more comments from Van Gundy, Stern said he doesn’t expect Van Gundy to speak that way again.

“I would venture a guess that we’re not going to be hearing from him for the rest of the season,” Stern said. “I think when he stops and reads what he said, realizes what he did, he will say no more. … I have a feeling some modicum of self-restraint will cause Stan, and the team for which he works, to rein in his aberrant behavior.”

6. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

It's funny how Stern can make arbitrary decisions and get away with it.

And I thought Popovich's 250k for benching starters was a lot..

7. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Isn't that enough to be considered tampering? We know Dallas will chase Dwight as a free agent this summer, so implying that one of Dwight's current teammates is a huge financial burden to the team is like a sale pitch. "We (Dallas) won't have to amnesty anyone to sign you. The Lakers might have to amnesty Kobe."

GMs usually don't reference other teams' players the way Cuban did. Kobe is none of his business.

1 person likes this.
  8. GIGO

GIGO Member

Frank Vogel & Mark Cuban
    [​IMG]

9. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

I have a feeling that the reason SVG has been so removed from coaching is because he is waiting for next year to be over. I can't really blame a lot of teams hesitant on him knowing the comiss has it out for him. The Van Gundies in general.

10. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Amnestying Kobe if Dwight isn't willing to re-up when he's around is a viable option for the Lakers. And, if Kobe did get amnestied, Dallas is one logical place for him to end up. Would LA be more willing to consider the option if they thought it was possible that Dallas would grab him off waivers and pay the balance of his contract? Given the situation in LA, talking about Kobe's contract is getting closer to tampering territory than I'm sure Stern wants to get. Cuban stayed far enough away to not get fined, but I don't see any problem with giving him a warning to cut that crap out.

11. JD88

JD88 Member

Why is he not allowed to say what he said?

If he was asked what he thought of Kobe's stupid high contract, does he just ignore it? Is it against the rules to say 'player x on team a should be amnestied'?

The NBA reminds me of wrestling.

12. HTown_TMac

HTown_TMac Member

That's r****ded..

13. hooroo

hooroo Member

Stern would've have been fielding complaints from the other teams and the players' union.

14. Granville

Granville Member

This /\. Cuban knows better. He's just a dick.