1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Maradona has weight loss surgery

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by leroy, Mar 5, 2005.

1. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Diego Maradona has weight loss surgery

All I can say is HOLY CRAP! I knew the guy had let himself go but I didn't know it was this bad.

[​IMG]

Maradona Has Stomach Stapled to Lose Weight

CARTAGENA, Colombia (Reuters) - Former Argentina soccer World Cup-winning captain Diego Maradona had his stomach stapled to reduce his ballooning waistline, his Colombian doctors said on Saturday.

Maradona, 44, had the two-hour operation in the picturesque port city of Cartagena on Colombia's Caribbean coast.

"Everything went well," Francisco Holguin, head of Cartagena's Medihelp clinic, where the operation was performed, told reporters.

He said the former superstar, who is 5-foot-6-inch-tall weighed 267 lb when he checked in, will spend three days in the clinic recovering.

The former midfielder only stopped playing professionally in 1997 but has grown almost unrecognizably fat in recent years despite spending much of his time in a Cuban clinic fighting cocaine addition.

Maradona, considered with Brazil's Pele to be one of the finest soccer players of all time, will be fed intravenously for two days before going on a two-week liquid diet to be followed by solid foods, his doctors told a news conference. He is expected to remain in Colombia for about two weeks.

"In eight to 10 months he should be back to his ideal weight of 165 lb," Holguin added.

Stomach stapling, also known as a gastric bypass, reduces the stomach's capacity for holding food and bypasses part of the small intestine, forcing individuals to eat less.

Maradona, whose audacious playing propelled his home country Argentina to World Cup victory in 1986, spent more than a week in the intensive care unit of a Buenos Aires hospital last April with heart and breathing problems. He was then confined to a psychiatric clinic by his family.

In September, he returned to Cuba, where he has lived since 2000, to undergo more treatment for drug addiction but under a stricter regime than before.

#1 leroy, Mar 5, 2005
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2005
  2. danielf

danielf Contributing Member

Its not so surprising. The only point to this mans life is to play football.

3. isoman2kx

isoman2kx Member

wonder how tony eusebio's doing these days...

4. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

god people have this surgery like its no big deal. damn man if u can afford to have it done why dont u just hire someone to train u to get u back in shape. damn he was fat but its not like he was morbidly obese.

5. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Contributing Member

anyone else read, "Madonna has weight loss surgery"??

6. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

well apparently he got over his coke addiction....

7. Davidoff

Davidoff Contributing Member

Good to know I wasnt the only one...

8. TECH

TECH Contributing Member

Yep. :eek:

9. swilkins

swilkins Contributing Member

Me too.

I was like, "Who is this fat guy?"

10. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

apparently God's hand couldn't stop reaching for seconds.

i don't know where the cutoff is b/t plain old obese and morbidly obese but i would think 267 pounds at only 5-6 has got to be getting damn close.

and while i agree it shouldn't be treated as if it's no big deal (people have died from it haven't they), if you can't fight the temptation to eat and get in shape but this will make it possible, then it might be worth it to get away from that morbidly obese, die of a heart attack in 5 years, level of weight.

11. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I tried to edit it for the "futbol challenged" but it didn't take. Sorry for any confusion. ;)

12. Rivaldo2181

Rivaldo2181 Contributing Member

hahaha...hillarious:)