1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Man doesn't follow police commands, gets popped after reaching into car in Tulsa

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by bigtexxx, Sep 19, 2016.

1. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

This is the thing I was wondering about. My car stopped on the road and I was told to call dispatch to get police help. I doubt they would have acted like that.

Also, why multiple cars? Typically you send a junior officer out to deal with a stalled car right? Why was there multiple cars and a helicopter looking at a stalled car?

Something must have happened prior to the videos being started. Only thing I can think of.

Oh, but if you watch the helicopter video - it looks like the guys window was closed, so he wouldn't have been able to reach into it anyway (you can see blood running down it as he falls to the ground).

I'm not saying its a murder or justified, just saying there's probably a lot more information that needs to be known before making a call.

2. ipaman

ipaman Member

well the guy who could give his side of the story is dead so... paid vacations for everyone!!! maybe a promotion/raise if you're lucky!!!

3. Sadat X

Sadat X Member

Come on now. Being extremely passive aggressive here.

It is alarming that there is such a diverse line in here about this. If the guy complied with their orders and stopped walking away towards his vehicle, he would be alive. Simple as that. If you disagree, you are most likely trying to be a victim yourself.

If someone has a reasonable argument, id like to hear it. Im sick of this racial victim BS that keeps getting spewed by the media. This cop did not embark on a murder mission.

1 person likes this.
  4. Xenon

Xenon Member

Side by side video of dashcam and helicopter footage. If that's a gunshot at :17 then this guy had no chance at all.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/yfbW08oeyic" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

5. ipaman

ipaman Member

yes they do every day they wake up and go to work. like a manchurian candidate they are programmed to "see" and "react" accordingly. now some good folks can't be programmed but many others, the majority, are good little soldiers who can.

6. Xenon

Xenon Member

They told him to walk to his vehicle and place his hand on it. He did those things and was shot.

7. the shark

the shark Member

That looks like this dude was murdered.

8. Sadat X

Sadat X Member

Well, as this is highly unlikely, we cannot hear the commands on the video. I highly doubt the officers told him to go to his car as that makes no sense. In most cases, they will tell the subject to stop and get to their knees, so that they can place in cuffs and search to make sure he is not a threat.

I guess until we can get some sort of audio where we can hear the officer's commands, we will not know 100%, so I do respect your argument.

Then again, It is truly sad he was killed. I am in no way pro-police killings but I do hate how people think they can disobey commands and then raise hell when the outcome is the person being shot/killed.

9. DonnyMost

DonnyMost Member
    Supporting Member

Link/source?

That is typically not protocol. Usually the suspect is supposed to approach and place their hands on the officer's vehicle.

10. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Member

That paradigm is ****ing ridiculous. The bar for human life shouldn't be low enough were disobeying commands warrants death. That's Gestapo level **** right there.

11. Xenon

Xenon Member

Read the article.

"The video shows Crutcher with his hands in the air as officers direct him to walk towards a vehicle, which is stopped in the middle of the road, and place his hands on it. At one point he’s seen lowering one hand and he’s surrounded by police officers, making it harder to see his actions from the police dashboard camera’s angle. Police also released helicopter footage of the incident, but his movements are obscured by the car in that footage."

12. leroy

leroy Member

So, tell me again how you know he didn't comply?

13. DonnyMost

DonnyMost Member
    Supporting Member

The bar isn't "disobeying commands", the bar is doing something as to provoke reasonable doubt of a threat.

This is why officers shoot people who reach into their cars when ordered not to.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/k8-ycSkoYfc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

1 person likes this.
  14. Sadat X

Sadat X Member

No you're right, and I tried correcting myself in the 2nd post you quoted, but come on. Its common F*king sense.

15. leroy

leroy Member

Without any video from the start of the incident and no audio, it's not common sense. That's been thrown out the window, unfortunately. No one, other than the officers who will be prone to protecting each other, knows what was ordered and what happened. You know what assuming does...

16. the shark

the shark Member

This guy didn't reach into his car, and if by chance he was reaching into his pocket (which we can't see by the video) if the cop(s) were so threatened why couldn't they have shot him in the arm or the leg? He'd still be alive!!

17. Sadat X

Sadat X Member

You're right. Im a total ASS for assuming that the cops did NOT tell him to go back to his vehicle. That makes total sense. In that case, if they did order him to go back to his own vehicle, the cops are obviously not trained well and very well may have just decided to murder a random dude.

You win

18. DonnyMost

DonnyMost Member
    Supporting Member

Unfortunately he did.

19. Xenon

Xenon Member

No. Did you watch the posted videos at all?

20. the shark

the shark Member

Donny, I respectfully disagree. Watching the video I never see the car door open. Obviously we can't tell if the car window was down, and if he was reaching into the car that way.