1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Malaysia, Japan, and Singapore (Travel Advise)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ChrisBosh, Apr 14, 2013.

1. ChrisBosh

ChrisBosh Member

A few questions for those that are well traveled:

1) Been to Malaysia, Kuala Lumpur?
    2) Do you recommend it? If not why?
    3) Must see places? Which would you rank the highest and why?
    4) How much time will be required for each of those activities?
    5) Food, any dish or place that is a must?
    6) Shopping? Where would you recommend to go?... Keep in mind I don't want to get duped with fakes or ridiculous pricing.

For Japan(Tokyo only) and Singapore, any advise would be nice, something quick and does not require too much time to do (>1hr is no good)

Rep to anyone with any advise whatsoever.

Thanks in advance.

2. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Visit this pool in Singapore. Not sure you can manage to do it in an hour, though :).

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

4. ChrisBosh

ChrisBosh Member

ATW. So how exactly do I get there? Ask a cabbie to take me to a pool on a rooftop? BTW, I can definitely do that in a hour. Will just plunge in and then look out at the landscape and then go to my next stop. Easy as that. Just want to be able to say, been there done that!!!

5. ChrisBosh

ChrisBosh Member

6. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

[​IMG]

Just tell the cabbie to take you to Marina Bay Sands.

In Tokyo, if you want to be able to say "been there, done that", you might want to have a drink at the bar of the Park Hyatt hotel (the one from the film "Lost in Translation").

7. DaleDoback

DaleDoback Contributing Member

Been to Tokyo several times......if you are into the nightlife.....hit up the Kabukicho district of Shinjuku. EVERY cab driver knows the area and there is a train station in the heart of the district. Bring a solid amount of Yen and have fun! Bars/Clubs/Strip-Clubs........awesome time. Make sure to wear nice pants/button-up shirt and nice shoes cause the whole area has a dress code. Depending on your level of 'Fun'.......you will find it all there. Skinjuku itself is a pretty great area to visit. Tons of places to eat, drink.....and Mt. Fuji is not far.....

1 person likes this.
  8. DaleDoback

DaleDoback Contributing Member

Probably should have finished the OP first before throwing Shinjuku out........an hour from where? Which Airport? I might be able to help........

9. ChrisBosh

ChrisBosh Member

Well I'm going to be in Tokyo for about 2-1/2 days, coming in from Narita Airport. Will be going to the Shinjuku Station, just because its the busiest train station in the world. So I guess you can see the perspective I'm taking on this visit.

Don't really care to party but would like to check out the scene for the hell of it, in-and-out kind of experience. I'm on a business trip while in Tokyo so can't really stay up too late as I will have meetings in the mornings.

10. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

Tokyo Tower has amazing 360 degree views of the city.

11. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

You can swim off the edge of the building?:eek:

12. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

Tip #1: Don't bring any drugs.

13. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

With only one hour it will be tough as it will take you about 20 minutes to get from the airport to the Marina Bay Sands and there is usually a line to get to the top, plus you have to pay to go to the top.

You might just want to take a cab to Merlion Park which has great views of Marina Bay Sands, The Esplanade and the Skyline.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Another option would be to visit the Raffles Hotel and have a drink in the Long Bar. Warning it is ridiculously overpriced but an interesting old hotel.

If you only got one hour though Changi Airport is the best airport in the world and there is a lot to do right there.

14. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

For Kuala Lumpar the place to go is the Petronas Towers and if open check out the skybridge.
    [​IMG]

I haven't flown into the KL airport so I don't know if you could go and see it and get back to the airport in an hour.

Even if you don't get to see the sites KL and Singapore are two of the world's greatest food cities and at the minimum try some of the cuisine. My personal favorites are:
    Roti Prata
    [​IMG]
    Nasi Lamak
    [​IMG]
    Chicken Rice
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  15. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

#2: Don't bring any chewing gum.

16. Jontro

Jontro Member

I forgot where exactly, but don't eat anything from an underground food court in Singapore. Got major food poisoning there.

17. mirus

mirus Member

The view on top of building is really nice .The swimming pool area is restricted from outsiders but it does looks like the swimming pool is on the edge of building.

Bosh , I've emailed you some of the details :) .

Btw Raffles Hotel is interesting - British colonial era styled hotel .

18. Zion

Zion Member

Been to KL a couple of times. Really just stopped off for a couple of days on my way to Langkawi.

Not much happening in KL. Its a nice little city, people are nice but there is really not much to see or do there. If you can head for the Islands, Langkawi is beautiful.

If you wanna party the Sky Lounge at the Traders Hotel has nice views by the way.

19. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Best related/recent thread I could find.

Taking an Asian trip in a few months. Going to Tokyo, Kyoto, Beijing, Shang hai, Hong Kong, and have a friend in Bangkok so I'm going to several places in Thailand. Pretty excited.

As for my questions. Is the only country I need a visa for china? And it looks like the region for the south part of u.s. Is in Houston. So I need to drop off documents and then I can come back a week later to pick up (commute from Austin)

And it looks like the least expensive flight is to Beijing so can I get a Roundtrip ticket from there to Tokyo and back to Shang hai. I assume I will need a double entry visa. But would not suggest doing that for any reason?

20. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Where are all the resident travel experts?!?!