1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Magic Johnson: African Americans must follow instructions

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Senator, Apr 16, 2020.

1. Senator

Senator Member

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/29039958/magic-johnson-sees-overlap-coronavirus-aids-crises

Why on earth would a disease only stick to one race?

#1 Senator, Apr 16, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2020
  2. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member
    Supporting Member

Wtf dude. Why are you putting a racist spin on this?

FranchiseBlade and daywalker02 like this.
  3. Senator

Senator Member

If Magic is pointing out the same issues and misconceptions have plagued a community from 3 decades ago til now (and clearly before that), is it racist? Or stupid?

4. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member
    Supporting Member

5. Senator

Senator Member

Magic is advising the community not to mistrust the white man's instructions... and thinking it can't happen to black people. This mistrust is hurting marginalized communities. Don't let the truth or quotes from the article scare you, you can't out PC the statistics we are seeing.

6. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member
    Supporting Member

Lol why don’t you get out of your small bubble and interact with people who may not look like you or think like you. I’m embarrassed for you. Variety is the spice of life and you’re gonna grow old with regrets

daywalker02 and JayGoogle like this.
  7. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member
    Supporting Member

He’s telling black people that they need to take precautions set forth by doctors, not “the white man”. Last time I checked the US Surgeon General is black. Black people are dying from this virus at higher rates and if it’s because of misconceptions within the black community, it’s noble of Magic to address that given his star power. It’s a positive story to spread awareness and you’re using it as a platform to put down another race.

I’m sorry that you lead an unhappy life but you can leave that to yourself. Hide behind that internet moniker if you want; you’re a joke.

8. Senator

Senator Member

It's time to do magic , show some humility and admit you were wrong - bow out of this thread and go back to your troll cave.

But you'll keep trying to play the race card while people are dying... because it gives you a perverse sense of satisfaction.

9. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member
    Supporting Member

What am I wrong about? You’re racist

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  10. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

The person he's talking about is Waka Flocka Flame saying on a talk show that 'Minorities' (not just black people) can't get Covid-19.

Waka Flocka is a wack rapper (his own words actually) and has been clowned on since saying a dumb thing. A few random twitter folk also believed this dumb thing.

There has otherwise been 0 proof that a majority of black people or minorities believe this.

mdrowe00 and Jayzers_100 like this.
  11. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member
    Supporting Member

@Senator I’ve reported you. Enjoy the perma-ban

12. Senator

Senator Member

Your low IQ is an enemy to AA's, Magic Johnson and all Americans- I hope you learn and progress as an adult after your meltdown.

13. Senator

Senator Member

Show me one link where he cites this. He was referring to this after there were a group of AA athletes in a park not taking social distancing seriously and he implied "well the word is". And that notion of it's them, not us, that hurts marginalized communities historically would not be the first time we've heard that.

14. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member
    Supporting Member

You’re implying that black people are stupid. We all know that’s what you’re saying despite your attempts at justifying your position. There’s no place for you in 2020. You’re not getting over on anyone and you have a well-documented history of race-baiting threads

mdrowe00 and FranchiseBlade like this.
  15. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Not sure where you got that from, isn't even referenced in the article.

Waka directly said "It can't happen to minorities" and was clowned for it.

Now, where's the data that backs you up? The poll that shows a majority of black people believe they can't get Covid-19?

I'll wait.

FranchiseBlade and Jayzers_100 like this.
  16. pgabriel

pgabriel Contributing Member

The higher rate is the death rate. I don't think blacks are catching it at a higher rate. I think the issue is what we knew, blacks are are behind in health overall and the virus kills people with more underlying health issues.

mdrowe00 and T_Man like this.
  17. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Because he hates us, and would probably exterminate the lot of us if he had the chance. Also, he doesn't have to, no one does outside of large or mid-sized cities or in small rural states.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  18. HROZ

HROZ Member

19. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member

Leaving aside the inflammatory title of this thread and some of the other incendiary rhetoric in this thread I recommend listening to Magic Johnson because he has raised some important parallels between what is happening now and the AIDS Crisis. This is a very compelling interview.

To me the bigger issue isn't that there were some people spreading the false idea that black people couldn't get the disease is the danger of tying a highly contagious disease to a particular group and / or culture. When AIDS first broke out it was often referred to colloquially as the "Gay Disease" and as such there was major stigma attached to it that made it hard to get treatment. When Johnson got HIV there still was a lot of stigma attached to it and he made news not just as a celebrity getting it but as a Heterosexual man getting it.

This is one of the reasons why I argue against and have no patience for those who tie the current disease to "Chinese" and to "Chinese Culture". While I certainly have a personal involvement it is also a distraction and hindrance to combating it if the focus is on stigmatizing one group or culture.