1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Madden Curse strikes again! UNWAR!!

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by LonghornFan, Sep 25, 2006.

1. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2602571

Seahawks' Alexander out indefinitely with foot fracture
    By John Clayton
    ESPN.com

The Seahawks lost reigning MVP Shaun Alexander indefinitely after X-rays revealed a small crack in a foot.

Shaun Alexander
    Alexander

Alexander missed two days of practice last week because of a foot injury believed to have been sustained in a tackle in the Arizona Cardinals game in Week 2. Seahawks coach Mike Holmgren, who announced the injury Monday, wasn't sure which part of Sunday's game against the Giants that Alexander suffered further injury to the foot.

Holmgren isn't sure how long Alexander will be out but it's possible he could miss a month. Holmgren said Alexander's injury is a non-displaced fracture of the foot.

Maurice Morris will be the starter in Alexander's absence. The Seahawks have a bye week following Sunday's game against the Bears.

Alexander rushed for 47 yards and a touchdown in Seattle's 42-30 victory over the New York Giants.

John Clayton is a senior NFL writer for ESPN.com.

2. BigSherv

BigSherv Contributing Member

That sucks.

3. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

A foot or ankle fracture, no matter how tiny, will prevent him from being productive the rest of the year. Ask Eddie George.

Pack it in, Shaun.

4. airbulllard

airbulllard Contributing Member

it's really pretty funny how it happens every year.. i didn't want to believe it, but my 2nd overall pick on my fantasy team is out.. it's made a believer out of me.. wish they put all the cowboys on the cover next year

5. Jet Blast

Jet Blast Contributing Member

Does his injury have anything to do with a lemon and a weiner dog? :D

6. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

i love that commercial.

7. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

OK, so how many of you were dumb enough to look past The Curse and pick him #1 overall in your fantasy leagues?

*raises hand*

8. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Not #1, but #2. In TWO money leagues no less.

9. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

All the people who picked #1 or #2 overall in my leagues are currently winless...

10. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

1999 Garrison Hearst Injured; while playing against the Falcons, twisted his ankle on very first play of scrimmage

2000(1) Barry Sanders Abruptly retired during training camp in 1999.
    1999 2000
    (2) Dorsey Levens Cut by the Packers in 2001 and finished his career as a journeyman player.

2001 Eddie George Key fumble vs. Ravens in playoffs; team lost in Divisional Playoff after losing Super Bowl XXXIV

2002 Daunte Culpepper Injured; missed 5 games in 2001; team missed playoffs after losing NFC Championship in 2000

2003 Marshall Faulk Injured; least productive season as a Ram up to that point; team missed playoffs after losing Super Bowl XXXVI

2004 Michael Vick Injured; missed 11 games after breaking leg in 2003 preseason; team missed playoffs after losing Divisional Playoff in 2002

2005 Ray Lewis Broke wrist and missed Pro Bowl; Critically seen as an off year; team missed playoffs after losing Wild Card Playoff in 2003

2006 Donovan McNabb Injured; missed 7 games in 2005; team missed playoffs after losing Super Bowl XXXIX

2007 Shaun Alexander Injured; cracked a bone in his sore left foot and will be lost to the Seattle Seahawks for at least a couple of weeks.

11. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

He's had a great career but I've never liked Shaun Alexander. This injury explains why he looked so tentative in yesterday's game.

How much you wanna bet he's "never the same" after this injury for the rest of his career?

12. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

My Bears chances of winning on Sunday night just got quite a bit better

13. JuLiO-R-

JuLiO-R- Contributing Member

I think there's a way to brake the curse. Madden always has good players on the cover, so what if they use a player who sucks? Right now it's always "Good turns Bad", but could it work as "Bad turns Good"?

I think the guys at EA Sports need to test my theory. I suggest they put David Carr on the cover. It may backfire and go from "Bad to Worse", but with a player like David Carr you got nothing to lose!

14. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Carr's the highest rated quarterback in football right now. Granted, some of those statistics did come during garbage time, but you could come up with a whole lot better examples of "bad" than Carr. It starts with a certain #90 on defense...

15. halfbreed

halfbreed Contributing Member

QB rating doesn't get you W's.

16. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

Damnit. I say we exploit the Madden curse for societal gain. Start putting pics of Al Qaeda/criminals/Dallas Mavericks on Madden covers from now on.

17. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Neither does any quarterback. Overall teams do.

18. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

I wonder if anybody will want to be on it next year or do players even have a say because of the NFLPA?

19. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

F*CK! I hope it is NEVER true for NBA Live :( :
    [​IMG]
    Can anyone with all the covers confirm this?

20. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

The guys on NBA Live aren't usually negatively affected, at least not to the same degree as the guys on the Madden cover. Dwayne Wade was on the cover last year, and he won the championship. Can't remember the ones previous to him off the top of my head, but none of them had bad injuries or anything like that.

If I'm not mistaken though, the last Rocket that was on the cover followed it up with an injury-plagued season and sub-par seasons after that (Steve Francis on NBA Live 2002 IIRC). I'm not sure if that happened right after he was on the cover or more like a year or 2 after.

edit: OK, here's the list from 96 on (95 had the Knicks and Rockets):
    # 1996: Shaquille O'Neal
    # 1997: Mitch Richmond
    # 1998: Tim Hardaway
    # 1999: Antoine Walker
    # 2000: Tim Duncan
    # 2001: Kevin Garnett
    # 2002: Steve Francis
    # 2003: Jason Kidd
    # 2004: Vince Carter
    # 2005: Carmelo Anthony