1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tags:
  1. mkahanek

mkahanek Member

Did Mad Max get a ring from the Rockets 94/95 run. A friend of mine are having a debate over this. I say he got some playoff money but no ring. Does anyone know for sure?

------------------

2. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Member

3. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

Yes, he got a ring.

------------------
    "You never know what might trigger someone to say jump off that bandwagon, which we like that they're on it."
    -Karl Malone, 1992 Barcelona Olypics, referring to the elbow Barkley threw at an Angolan player. WHAT did he say?

4. mkahanek

mkahanek Member

Yes, he was on the playoff roster, but walked out on the team. Does he deserve a ring at that point?

------------------

5. SpaceCity

SpaceCity Member

Just to make it a little more clear, Maxwell didn't exactly walk out on the team. Maybe figuratively. He challenged Rudy during round one against Utah (I beleive) and that resulted in him being asked to just leave and go home.

Max couldn't handle having his starting role being taken over by Drexler.

------------------

6. TexasG

TexasG Member

If the 94/95 Championship is the second of the two in a row the Rockets won then no he didn't get a ring. Since he plays for the MAVS now, him playing for Champion durring his career was made a big deal considering the MAVS have so little playoff experience. Since he was let go by the team (because of his actions) he didn't get a ring. He does have a ring from the first of the back to back titles though.

------------------
    http://www.rapmusic.com/texasg/NewMavsLogo1.jpg

7. aelliott

aelliott Member

Here's a quote from a Blinebury article in the Chronicle 3/6/96

Two days earlier, Tracy Murray and Zan Tabak, a pair of seldom-used decorative pieces on the end of last year's bench, now toiling for the expansion Toronto Raptors, were presented with championship rings, apparently for having good posture in all of the team photos.

Nobody tried to slip a ring onto Maxwell 's finger.

""That's all right," he said. ""I don't need one. I don't really want one. Those other guys were part of it all. I wasn't. I was there during the regular season.
    But I wasn't there during the playoffs, and that's when they won that championship .

""No problem. I don't mind. I've got my ring from the first year and, to tell you the truth, it's more rings than a lot of people around this league ever
    thought that I'd get."

------------------

8. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Member

I didn't think anyone got to choose whether a person got a ring or not. So, being on the playoff roster of a championship team would get you a ring, automatically. However, leave it to Aelliott to not make assumptions, but instead get actual data! Go figure.

------------------
    RealGM
    Gafford Art
    Artisan Cakes

9. fromobile

fromobile Member

We need to sign Vernon.

------------------

10. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Member

No.

------------------
    Founder and President of the Houston Homers Club(HHC) - Are you a homer? Join now!

The Rockets will be NBA champions. Believe.

11. Digaida

Digaida Member

lol

------------------

12. MadMax

MadMax Member

I'll apologize in advance to those who have heard this story. I had a close friend in law school who had a close friend who was a ballboy for the Rockets. That ballboy developed a pretty close friendship with Scott Brooks. Brooks used to say of Max: "if he would get just 6 hours of sleep a night, he'd be the best player in the game." He said that Max would let other guys use his room on the road because he knew he'd be out partying all night. He would report to shoot-around telling the guys how tired he was since he only slept 30 minutes. It's really kinda sad when you think of all the talent he threw away. I mean, I don't feel sorry for the guy, because those were his choices, but I would hate to think I was blessed with that much talent and just let it slip away and not fully capitalize on it because I wasn't willing to pay the price. He's lost his home in SugarLand...he's been in constant trouble with the law.

------------------

13. SamCassell

SamCassell Member

Why would Max have lost his home in Sugarland? He is still playing in the NBA, so he is still making close to a mil a year.

fro, you have to be kidding. No way in h*ll Vernon ever wears a Rockets uni again. Rudy T would sign Kermit Washington to a long term deal before he brought back Max.

------------------
    I'm about to boldly go where many men have gone before.

14. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Member
    Supporting Member

Maybe he had some form of insomnia? Similar to Moochie's problems that he eventually got past, but plagued him when he played for Seattle. I can't imagine what it must be like to have insomnia, it must really suck.

But even if he did have insomnia, there are steps he could have taken to fix it...Max always was a little thick-skulled.

------------------
    Give me ambiguity or give me something else.

http://bbs.clutchcity.net/ubb/Forum12/HTML/000328.html

15. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

LOL! True, but Tyrone Hill apparently had to borrow money from Charles Oakley, yet can't pay him back and as a result gets his ass whupped everytime they see each other. Of course I don't know if the "borrowing" story is made up, but I have no idea why Oakley would want to make that story up.

I'm sure with their lifestyles a million a year can be burned up rather quickly.

------------------
    My company declared Chapter 11 bankruptcy, then agreed to merge with another company, which also declared for Chapter 11 bankruptcy... should I be worried?

16. cson

cson Member

is there somewhere you can get really good pictures of both rings?

------------------
    C-son
    ---------------------
    Dream on

17. Live

Live Member

I wonder if Vernon still has that UG-LEE purple Porsche he drove around in.

------------------

18. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Member

shoot, i got a ring from that season!

[​IMG]

rH

------------------
    visit: The Psychedelic Groove House of Rockets Basketball Love!

President, CEO & Charter Member of Rocketholics Anonymous

Jiizz Coach Sloan, "OK guys, after we practice layups, I want everyone to pair up with a buddy and practice your flops"

19. edc

edc Member

To quote the immortal Patrick Ewing during the lockout:

------------------

20. fromobile

fromobile Member

the guy can still play. Best defensive 2 guard the rockets ever had. Offensively the most exitable, and exciting guy I've ever seen play. I love V-Max. Rudy probably wouldn't mind that much. He still plays great D.

------------------