1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

luther head/hayes

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by trifle3A, Jul 13, 2006.

1. trifle3A

trifle3A Member

He has potential how much do you guys think he will improve this season?

Suppose he does would we really have a glaring weakness. his numbers as a starter last season 12pts 39% 3pts shooting if he upped those numbers will
    alot of fans will be surprised how good our team is.

chuck hayes played well when he got good minutes both offensively and on the boards remember our 3 game trip to mil/det/chic he was getting double doubles with ease maglore/wallace's/chandler had ther hands full those games were without yao were better off with hayes than swift.

why do people think were so far behind this reminds me of the year were we got rid of griffin and posey everybody said we wont make playoffs and we did alot better than we thought we would.

2. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Can we bring in Isaac Hays, I mean, he left South Park, why can't he come and help us out.

3. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

Because a big strong SG/SF type fell right into our hands before the season started by the name of Jim Jackson. Let's hope we can get a tall SG for depth and I will be ok with the offseason, ASSUMING everyone is healthy. I think our main concern is that we are only 1 and a half players deep at two very important positions maybe even 3. Luckily Battier and Tmac's versatility provide some flexibility in who else we can get in the offseason, but it is still going to be difficult to find depth. Good post by the way. I think Luther and Hayes will improve very much and do well if given the minutes. A part of me hopes that we don't add too much depth so these guys can get at least 15-20 minutes a game.

4. TMACFORMVP

TMACFORMVP Member

I think Luther can only improve in his ball-handling and consistency skills because I think what we are seeing is what we are getting but that's a solid role player or bench player. I really like Hayes, he played real well with yao and when he averaged more than 23 minutes in 10 games he scored 8 points per game and 8 rebounds per game. Unnfortunatley with his size I think his upside is Reggie Evans but he can be a big part of this team.

5. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Hopefully Luther improved his handle, shooting and defense. There was a lot for him to work on. Maybe he can surprise us. I have no idea on Hayes. Going from scrub to consistent rotation player will be a big step for him. Supposedly he worked hard over the summer on his conditioning, etc and will be much improved.

6. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

i think we can expect luther to have worked on his mid-range game. i'm not sure how many of you noticed that he was far better at spotting up for 3 then shooting mid-range off a pump fake and dribble. adding just that will make him much better.

as far as hayes. this guy can become our udonis haslem. i think he will be getting about 20MPG behind Jho this season and i look for him to average about 7-7.

these two guys plus novak are the future of our bench. they are young guys who will get better and really give our bench a spark. I hope to add a young PG and center through the MLE this summer in order to complete the bench.

7. RiceDaddy7

RiceDaddy7 Member

The best thing about Chuck Hayes is that now we completely, utterly do not need Ryan Bowen 100%. Chuck Hayes is a better, smoother, tougher version of what we wanted in Bowen and he fell right in our lap. It's amazing how he didn't get drafted.

As for Luther Head, I like him, but his best asset is his trade value. With the big two out of the picture, Head is instantly our best trading commodity ( next to Battier which will not happen in the immediate future ). Head reminds me of a smaller Cuttino Mobley...one of those low drafted guards that has heart and hard work...not as good a shooter and not as good defender, but the same passion. Still, he's not a JVG type guard and would serve better for a main component of a trade package than simply a normal guard with average skills coming off the bench.

8. Storm Surge

Storm Surge Rookie

not really, I mean, it's more amazing that Bowen is in the league. Seriously though, Hayes has never shown any offensive game at all, teams don't usually draft 1-sided players, and nobody knew that he was going to be "tough". He was just outclassed by other players.

9. mbiker

mbiker Member

The second year is usually when a player makes his biggest jump or talent stride. There are so many adjustments for rookies in the NBA, especially for someone playing for a coach like JVG. JVG is a little more demanding than other coaches. During a players second year, they not only have increased their skill, but they have increased their stamina also. By stamina I don’t necessarily mean their energy level per game, but the season also. The NBA season is very long compared to the collage game. Head had a pretty good shooting percentage the first third of the season, and then he hit the rookie wall. I’m looking for Head to be a couple of notches better this year and make a significant impact off of the bench.

10. dragon167

dragon167 Contributing Member

Sorry for my ignorance but why didnt Luther play the summer league games?

11. RiceDaddy7

RiceDaddy7 Member

He showed a strong rebounding game in college, and the chumps taken in the second round were all basically either one-sided or were weak in all areas with a little strength in those areas. At that point, would you rather take someone that's REB +1 PPG +2 STL +1 BLK 0 or someone that's REB +8 PPG 0 STL +1 BLK +1?

12. FireFox7

FireFox7 Member

Just wondering, would anyone happen to know the wingspan of Head and Hayes. Would be kinda nice to know that they had great wingspans that would make them play bigger than their actual height. Think Ben Wallace... 6'8...6'9... but more like 7'0... just some thoughts :D

13. JamesC

JamesC Member

I think they both will be much improved. Both are undersized, but have more than enough heart to make up for it. I look for Head to be much more consistant with his jump shot as well.