1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Luther A Star in the Make !

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by waihh, Dec 31, 2006.

Tags:
  1. waihh

waihh Member

The management was trying to shop Luther during the offseason, that was quite obvious, and possibly combined with Howard. They must feel lucky now that they did not pull the trigger.
    If the Rox is going to trade Luther now, what do you think can get in return? I am not suggesting a trade, I am just curious right now how high a level you would put Luther? Anyone here think Luther could develop into a star player? The only obstacle would be his size (Head's size ;)
    The guy has a big-size heart, though. At crucial moment, I AM THE HEAD! His mentality is just tough. Mentality, in my 2cents, is the best quality of star players.
    Now, who do you think is a fare trade for Luther? For instance, will you trade Head straight for Gay? Will Luther ever become a star?

#1 waihh, Dec 31, 2006
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2006
  2. Beenz

Beenz Member

sometimes the best deals are the ones you dont make

3. cato13

cato13 Member

I think Head is going to be our version of Derek Fisher when we start winning championships. When he takes a wide open shot you know its going in.

4. LCII

LCII Member

I agree, this guy is just clutch..if it weren't for his two daggers from downtown late in the game we might've lost this one. Personally, I wouldn't mind a lineup like this, especially with Yao out:

PG: T-mac
    SG: Head
    SF: Battier
    PF: Howard
    C: Hayes/Deke

Since T-mac is like Magic Johnson right now, and Luther deserves a starting spot, this would be a nice lineup against teams who clog the paint

5. ak47

ak47 Member

Luther's more effective off the bench IMO.

6. wireonfire

wireonfire Member

Only if he improves his play-making skill, we can start him and get rid of Rafer.

7. cdxiong

cdxiong Member

I wish he could take more shots.

8. shsu33

shsu33 Member

The way Head has been shooting 3's, playing great D, and hitting clutch shots. He may very well be the next Maxwell. He's fast and can play point if you need him to. Vernon wasn't afraid of anything or anyone on the court, just ask Jordan. If Head can bring that mentality and not go loco, we may have a star in the making.

9. m_cable

m_cable Member

I don't know if Luther can be a star, he's got a few too many holes in his game right now (i.e. ballhandling, creating his own shot etc.). But he can be extremely effective playing on the weakside opposite Yao and Mcgrady.

10. windfern

windfern Member

He would always take it whenever he's open and when Jeff calls for his play. It's difficult to block his shot because of the arc, plus, he pushes his feet forward so defense has to make sure not to touch them to avoid committing a foul.

11. Rockets kupo

Rockets kupo Member

hopefully he can be the next robert horry

12. ccjj

ccjj Member

If you have a choice now, who do you pick, Head or Mobley? :D

13. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

as much as I love luther and as much as I've loved his pick since it happened -- for this team, you probably have to pick mobley...you can't teach size. luther is a better shooter, however.

14. cdxiong

cdxiong Member

If he can improve his play making skills, he will be our starting PG for years to come.

15. durvasa

durvasa Member

Ball-handling, decision making, and defense are all sub-par for a starting PG. He's a very good perimeter shooter, a pretty good rebounder, and that's it right now.

16. Hmm

Hmm Member

If Reggie Miller and Rip Hamilton can be considered stars, Luther with a solid consistent defensive game can be one aswell.

17. Hmm

Hmm Member

A dependable 42% mid-J would pretty much solidify it too.

18. Nelly

Nelly Member

Luther Head reminds of our old Micheal Dickerson from back in '99.

19. DribbleHooper

DribbleHooper Member

<a href="http://www.nba.com/playerfile/luther_head/career_stats.html">At the time I write this</a>, Luther is #12 in three pointers attempted, #7 in three point percentage, and #3 in three pointers made. Also #2 in three-pointers in 48 minutes.

Luther better be in the three-point contest at the All Star Game this year. I'm pretty sure he's supposed to be in the Rookie Challenge (on the sophomore squad, of course).

20. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Although I dont think Luther will ever be a "Star". I think he will be a Richard Jefferson type player. Not really a star but still recognized as pretty good.