1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lunch/Dinner spots in Seattle?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Refman, Jun 1, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

At long last, I am making another trip to Seattle. I have not been since 2004.

Anybody here know if any good places for a meal. I am staying downtown and will make a trip to Boeing.

I already know I will eat at Ivar's and at Claimjumper while I am there. Any other ideas? It is a 5 day trip.

2. s land balla

s land balla Contributing Member

The best whole in the wall Thai place, ever.

3. oldman

oldman Contributing Member

Agree...Thai Tom is amazing. Try the swimming rama.

4. RoxSqaud

RoxSqaud Member

So your going to Oklahoma City?

5. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

I had a friend who recommended 13 Coins Restaurant. I didn't get to try it out as I was sick the whole time I was in Seattle.

Steer clear from the Japanese Hibachi in downtown. I was not impressed in the least bit.

6. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

ScriboErgoSum or something like that is a Seattle resident and his wife is a chef there. Search for posts by him; i know he has mentioned some restaurants in town he likes.

7. ScriboErgoSum

ScriboErgoSum Contributing Member

What restaurant I'd recommend on what you like to eat. My wife is sous chef at Cafe Juanita in Kirkland, which is across Lake Washington. That's one of if not the best fine dining experience in Seattle. I'd recommend that if you're a foodie and\or are into wine.

Claim Jumper is a souped up TGIFriday's. If you're into that kind of food, I highly recommend Palace Kitchen. It's a more innovative look at the bar and tavern, and is one of Tom Douglas's restaurants. Douglas is considered the godfather of Seattle cuisine. Their burger is the bomb, and the wings are phenomenal (Martha Stewart came in for some a week before she went to prison). It's located downtown too, so you can't beat that.

For sushi, I say Kisaku. I think their food is awesome, and it seems to be where Seattle chefs go to get their sushi. The fish is so fresh and delicious, and they have some pretty innovative rolls without breaking the bank. If you like sushi, you need to get it while you're on the West Coast. And you must get the toro. They usually have the fattiest premium cuts, but they always have the next step below.

Ivar's is a Seattle chain, but I'd say go to Elliot's Oyster Bar. Obviously they have great oysters. Their calamari is pretty awesome as well. If you get a good table (and there are a lot of good tables), you have a great view off the pier. If you want a more upscale seafood dinner, go with Ray's Boathouse. The food is pretty good, and the views are incredible. Make a reservation for a window seat in advance for a great sunset while you eat.

Let me know if you're looking for something in a specific area or a specific type of cuisine, and I can give you something a little more targeted. This was kind of a scattershot approach.

#7 ScriboErgoSum, Jun 1, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2010
  8. Refman

Wow...thank you so much for your reply. Awesome.

We will be staying downtown and making trips to the Museum of Flight, Redondo Beach and Seattle Center.

We will only be there for five days, so most of our time will be spent doing the touristy stuff. Also, fine dining is out because cost is an issue and we are trying to limit our luggage so we will not have our dressy threads with us.

Also, in those areas, what are the good independent coffee houses? Refgal LOVES her coffee.

I really appreciate your help.

9. YaosDirtyStache

10. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

I still have fond memories of the baguette box, tamarind tree, and monsoon. For some reason, I found the locks to be really interesting in terms of touristy things to see. Good coffee abounds.......not hard to find.

There's also some cheese maker shop across the street from Pike's Place. My wife still talks about their mac and cheese.

11. s land balla

s land balla Contributing Member

If you're a fan of Indian food, I highly recommend driving 140 miles north of Seattle to try Vij's in Vancouver. The NY Times ranked it as the best Indian restaurant in North America, and after trying it, I have to agree.

12. ScriboErgoSum

ScriboErgoSum Contributing Member

I'm with Pole. Tamarind Tree and Monsoon are great Vietnamese restaurants that aren't super pricey.

Baguette Box makes a good sandwich. Salumi downtown does as well, and it's a bit more of a Seattle institution. The owner is Mario Batali's dad, who went into the charcuterie business after retiring from Boeing.

I make most of my coffee at home, but I like Diva Espresso (has about 5 locations) when I do go out. Herkimer Coffee (2 locations) is another good one. My wife's restaurant just started using their coffee beans, and I'm in love with what I've had so far. I might just have to start buying my coffee locally instead of from House of Coffee Beans in Houston.

There's a cool French Bistro called 35th Street Bistro in Fremont. They are running a 3 course dinner for $30 and a 3 course lunch for $15 all summer long (see the website for details). It's good food (their burger and frites is amazing), and Fremont is a great neighborhood to see. The Fremont Troll is just a block away.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. I'll ask my wife for some more suggestions. When are you coming to town?

13. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

And Zagat gives Salumi a 28 for food. Mario's restaurant Babbo only gets a 27. Usually the old man is working the register. The lines can be long, but the food is darn good, and not expensive at all. It's really a hole in the wall.

New Orleans was always my favorite city in the nation. Yes, it can be dirty, stinky, and downright scary sometimes, but there is something about it.........a soul that I just adore, and a feeling that somehow.......even though I'm just a visitor..........that when I'm there.........I'm home.

It was always my favorite city.......that is until I visited Seattle. In Seattle, I KNEW I was home. I just don't live there yet.

And if you go to Monsoon, by all means get the banana cake with savory coconut sauce. I was too full for dessert, but my wife wanted it. I took a taste, ended up eating half of it, and still dream about it to this day. One of the two most memorable desserts I've ever had and a MUST if we go back.

14. slcrocket

slcrocket Contributing Member

I can't add much to Scribe's post, but I will say that you can do better than Ivar's. It's good and all, but you can do better (even reasonably cheap). If you're looking at the waterfront, Steamer's is my pick for best fish & chips. You can't miss it and the fish is awesome.

I'm glad this thread happened - I had almost forgotten about Scribe's wife and her restaurant...I'll need to do that soon. :)

15. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

16. Refman

July 21st.

It has been 6 years since I have been there. I have no family or anything. I visited there on a lark and just fell in love with it.

17. Refman

I went to Steamer's last time I was there. It was great and the service was fast. I will have to do that one again after we go to the aquarium.

18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Scribo,

What is that steakhouse that is down about a block from the water, with nice redwood walls etc?

We went there one time for a meal that was over $5k......on Microsoft's dime....

Wondabah !

DD