1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Luke Walton should be our next head coach

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Merla08, Nov 25, 2015.

1. Merla08

Merla08 Member

He's lead the Warriors to a 16-0 start and once Kerr returns, he'll be an assistant again. Great offensive and defensive strategy. Just watch the Warriors play, and you'll see what basketball is supposed to look like. Sign him asap!

2. Merla08

Merla08 Member

He's led"

3. sabesque

sabesque Member

We should have also considered their lead assistant from last year, Alvin Gentry. He helped them get the 6th best regular season record of all time and the championship.

Too bad the Pellies got him. They're really thriving right now.

4. Merla08

Merla08 Member

Alvin Gentry is an idiot. That guy has never been a good head coach. Luke Walton played for Phil Jackson, is the son of an NBA legend, has been around basketball his entire life and is now learning on the job and excelling at it as the head coach. Try not to be an ******* or smart ass when you respond

5. sabesque

sabesque Member

Apologies for the snark, but there's a ton of jumping to conclusions going on right now.

The warriors were historically great last year, they won the championship, they're historically great this year. Luke Walton is running the same system as Kerr ran last year, with the same personnel, and talks to Kerr every day. Luke has sat on bench as a coach for 2 years total. He hasn't faced adversity as a coach, at all.

6. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Steve Kerr should be the Rockets next head coach. GS doesn't need him anymore because Luke Walton is ready.

7. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

just wait till jan/feb when the legs start to weight a 1000 pounds. what will the warriors do then? pass it to their big guy draymond green? lol. what about old man injury prone andrew bogut? oh thats right they dont have banger down low. yikes. better hope everyone in the west is injury prone again

8. Merla08

Merla08 Member

Well whatever he's doing, it's working. Mark Jackson couldn't win with this same team. I honestly thought the Warriors would stumble without Kerr just a little bit, but they're actually more focused and determined than last year. All I know is that JB needs to go along with our entire staff. I'm so sick of watching a half ass effort on defense and absolutely no ball movement, set plays, awful shots taken as the 24 second clock goes off, etc. We need a complete change. Getting rid of McHale and keeping his staff is a complete joke and a slap in the face to the fans.

9. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

Are we really still doing this?

10. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Idk. He's suspect. Ever since I say that pic of him with Jefferson.

11. sabesque

sabesque Member

Marc Jackson got success from the team's talents. The difference is Kerr put in a system that is bespoke to the once-in-a-lifetime talent of Steph Curry. What you're seeing this year is that system is tightened through continuity and confidence. They knew what they're doing works.

I also thought there was a potential for them to stumble here and there (relative to how dominant they have been), so I guess credit to Luke for not negatively affecting the team.

I just know that, even though he's leading the huddles, he still has the training wheels on. But at this point in time (and as long as Luke had been a coach) the Warriors are the polar opposite of the rockets, confidence-wise. Don't know if he has the tool kit to implement a system with our egos, our confidence problems and our expectations.

Our players are the ones that have to pull themselves out of this slump. I don't know if Luke has the skillset to make that happen for them.

12. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

what is that we're doing? i wasn't aware i was doing a thing. warriors suck, curry sucks, klay sucks, they all suck :grin:

13. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

They figured out how to play last year...that was the hard part...I'm sure they could be coach less and still go 13-3, at least. You're giving Walton all the credit. The players have a good combination of having a strong mental state and strong work ethic.

14. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Same thing they did last Jan/Feb? Just a hunch.

15. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Maybe coaching just doesn't matter in the NBA.

16. malakas

malakas Member

It's extremely hard to judge Luke Walton as a coach. The real coach Kerr had already established a defensive and offensive system, practice routines ,rotations and on top of that he comes every gameday during halftime to the lockeroom and talks to the players and talks to Walton before every game.
    So what can you judge Walton on? Only in game adjustments in extreme occasions that are out of the ordinary. And to do that you must watch every single game of the Warriors this year and have watched also every single game last year to know if he makes anything even different than Kerr has ordered him.

So I dont' have any opinion on Walton as a coach except that he's good at following kerr's orders which is expected otherwise he wouldn't have been trusted in the first place to stand in for him.

17. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

Can curry come with him?

18. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

What's wrong with Walton using Kerr's system? Plenty of teams have poached Pop's assistants over the years for that very purpose. Budenholzer being the most recent case.

19. CaptainRox

CaptainRox Member

Definitely not learning on the job. He's been on a coaching staff for several years (I believe he was at Memphis university or something) and like you just said the mans been around basketball his whole life

20. photojoe

photojoe Member

I'm pretty sure that if the Warriors hired me right now as their head coach, that team would make me look like a pretty amazing coach.

And I say that as someone who knows absolutely nothing at all about coaching.