1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Losing a family member

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by mugrakers, Apr 28, 2012.

1. mugrakers

mugrakers Member

How do you really cope with losing someone so close to you? I just lost my father recently. For me, it comes in waves. I'm hit by a lot of emotions in a short amount of time and then it goes away for a while and then it comes back and hits hard for a short amount of time again. What helped you get past it all?

2. coolweather

coolweather Contributing Member

it's tough losing a parent when you're young and single. having a big family helps and if your married, it's easy to overcome it.

3. Jontro

Jontro Member

I'm sorry for your loss mugrakers. Do you have a sibling to mourn with?

4. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

My father passed away close to two years ago. Although time has 'helped', there are still days when I realize how much I miss him. There are times I'm out for a run and it still hits me. Everyone mourns in their own way, so what you feel and how it affects you is unique to you. Remember the fun times and remember he lives on in you and your family.

5. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Sorry for your loss

6. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

First of all, I'm sorry for your loss.

I lost my uncle, who raised, roughly a year and a half ago, and for me it hasn't been easy. It still hits me quite a bit from time to time. I guess with my grandma having dementia, it made it real tough on me that I don't have him here since now it is just her and I.

They say time heals and it definitely is true, however, I still have those times where I just break down. It's just part of the mourning process I suppose, but I'll always have him in my heart. My guess is that it will always be hard not to remember him and get a bit teary eyed about it because I loved him so much. No matter what, I'll have to keep moving forward and keep the great memories in my heart.

7. blink

blink Contributing Member

sorry for your loss. i would try and stay around family and friends. they at least know what youre going through and may be able to help you one way or another. it's a process, it will take time.

8. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

Could have had an a-hole for a father. Wouldn't miss him then.

Consider yourself lucky you had it better than a lot of people during the time he was here.

Sorry for your loss.

9. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Ack. My condolences.

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I am sorry for your loss.

Unfortunately, it just takes time. I lost my mom more than 8 years ago and there are still times that it hurts.

Friends, family, and loved ones spend as much time as you can with them and eventually the intensity of your pain will wane.

DD

11. Lynus302

Lynus302 Contributing Member

I was 17 when my dad died. I'm now 36. I think about him each and every day.

Simple truth: you never "get past it." Death sucks, but it's part of life for all of us. Given time, it will lessen, and you will find yourself moving on and focusing on fond memories vs. the anguish you're feeling now. It'll happen. Just give it some time.

Prayers to you, man.

12. henGoOink

henGoOink Member

I'm 16 and I lost my father as well. Sometimes I just think about him and get emotional. Pretty much how you described it, as waves.

13. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

so sorry for your loss. i can't imagine losing my parents.

14. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Sorry for your loss. It's rough, it will always come and go to some extent. I've lost both of my parents. If you have a big family to talk about the good things about that parent during your grieving it helps.

Time is really the main thing.

15. cheke64

cheke64 Member

that's the worst feeling in the world, losing someone you love.

16. TheresTheDagger

This.

17. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

My mother passed away 2 weeks after my 18th birthday. That was 10 years ago this month. It was a strange time in my life to lose my mother. I was still a rebellious teenager and much of the regret and guilt I felt (and still feel) is the way I underappreciated my mother while she was here. I never showed or told her I loved her, as much I really did deep inside. Because I was a stupid prideful teenager.

I still think about her everyday. It never goes away and I will say it felt weird when I knew the 10 year mark of her passing was approaching. It made me reflect on how much everything has changed since that day, and what person I have become today.

Part of it makes me feel sad because I wish she was here so I could repay my mother for raising me through blood, sweat and tears. Part of me thinks she would be proud of the man I've become today.

I feel your pain bro. I know it sounds cliche, but live your life in a way you know you'd make your father proud.

1 person likes this.
  18. droxford

droxford Member

You will continue to feel his absence. When you do, focus on the happy feelings you had when he enriched your life, and know that you must enrich others' lives just as much, if not more. Consider his absence the last lesson that he'll teach you: that life is short, we must enjoy it to our best ability. And although we are so greatly warmed by the people who enrich our lives, the greatest happiness we will find is when we enrich the lives of others.

19. tharges

tharges Member

Be strong brother it will always come and go. The waves you describe are accurate, especially the anniversary of their death and birthdays. I lost both my grandparents and they practically raised me, and i still go through the waves. Its part of life, just remember he loved you and hes watching over you. You will make it brother give it time. Remember your family here.

20. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Very sorry to hear about that. I am fortunate that both my parents are alive though back in 1994 had a real scare with my dad. Time is the only healer and it will get better.

The best thing you can do is always keep your dad in your memory and live your life like he would've wanted you to.