1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lord of the Rings

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Nomar, Dec 19, 2001.

1. Nomar

Nomar Member

Wow.

More to follow later when I come back down to Earth.

2. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

I was pretty impressed. Solid action. It moved pretty well for a movie as long as it is. Even a decent recap in the beginning of where the ring came from (The Hobbit and before). Great effects and fight scenes. Some scary parts, some funny parts, and a whole lotta whup-ass...

3. treeman

treeman Member

Awesome. Absolutely awesome movie.

4. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Member
    Supporting Member

Astounding movie. Absolutely one of the most entertaining theater experiences I have ever had. I cannot remember a movie in my whole life that I have looked forward to as much as this, and still have all my expectations met and more.

This is an epic in the making, folks. It will be a work of art when it is done.

5. treeman

treeman Member

The only thing that pisses me off is that the other two "sequels" (sequel and prequel, actually) are already finished, and we've got to wait for one-year intervals to see them.

They actually filmed all three movies at once (first time ever done), and are going to release them in three consecutive Decembers. Gotta wait another year at least to see 'em destroy the ring... Unless the Hobbit is next. :(

6. DEANBCURTIS

DEANBCURTIS Member

I wonder how many times I can type epic before it equals the sheer magnitude of Fellowship?

7. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Man, shut up...y'all really have me pumped!!!

8. treeman

treeman Member

Awesome movie, Rm95. Awesome. You will not be disappointed. I drove away from the theater trying to think of a better movie I've seen, and came up blank the whole ride home. Very possibly the best movie I have ever seen. Anyone who doesn't see it is seriously missing out. I can't wait to see it again. Awesome, awesome movie...

;)

9. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I haven't even read the books, or really have much interest in them, but still...

:)

10. treeman

treeman Member

Doesn't matter one bit whether you've read the books. They made up for it by explaining it all very clearly. a 10-year old kid who'd never read the books could love it just as much as a 60-year old who'd never read them. In fact, it might be even better, since you won't know what to expect.

11. FranchiseCat

FranchiseCat Member

This movie rocked! The archer was bad @$$. The way he was firing arrows, I thought he was using a machine gun or something. I guess, I liked him the most because I always played an archer in D&D.

This movie was so freakin good, I didn't noticed that it was 3 hours long. Hell, they could have played all three parts (9 hrs.) and I would have sat through every minute of it.

Awsome movie.

12. deepellumrocket

DORK ALERT!!!!

Just kidding with you there! :p

Yeah, the movie is freakin' incredible! George Lucas should let Peter Jackson direct Episode 3. At least he knows how to pace the story. Awesome, awesome, awesome!!!

13. Gutter Snipe

Gutter Snipe Member

I couldn't imagine a better interpretation of the book. The Mines of Moria were great, although Lothlorien got a little short-shrifted.

I'd really like to know what people who haven't read the book thought though. I think the experience was kind of ruined for me by knowing the book so well.

Some parts of the book really came to life though. The scenes where Bilbo interacts with the ring were brilliant, especially the one in Rivendell.

Basically, I think I'm going to have to go back and watch it again to appreciate it more, but these are the grades I'd give it.

Characters (casting+acting):

Gandalf: A++
    Saruman: A
    Bilbo: A++
    Samwise: A (he really grows on you)
    Frodo: A++
    Merry and Pippin: A
    Elrond: B
    Boromir: B
    Aragorn: A-
    Legolas: A-
    Gimli: B
    Arwen: A-
    Galadriel: B

Scenes:
    Opening exposition: A+ (this did a great job explaining the history of the rings)
    The Shire: A+
    Shire to Bree: B
    Gandalf vs Saruman: A+
    Bree to Rivendell: A+
    Rivendell: A
    Moria: A+
    Lothlorien: C+
    Lothlorien boats to end of part 1: A

The one thing the movie really fails in is expressing time passing during the scenes. For example, they say it's 6 days to Rivendell from the castle on the hill, but you have no sense of that time passing. It's also supposed to be 4 days through Moria, but it seems like a day and a half at the most. Moria in particular would have been better with a little more time to build up the dramatic tension.

That being said, PJ was really restricted by time limits. I think he did a masterful job of portraying the book within these bounds.

I liked the movie, but I think I'll like it more after I watch it again.

14. DEANBCURTIS

DEANBCURTIS Member

Before I saw Fellowship, if it was one character I thought was going to have some trouble it was Hugo. Not because of his acting talent, which is impressive, but many people can't help but view him as agent Smith. He pulled out a solid performance though, and really embodied Elrond.

15. TheFreak

TheFreak Member

I've read through Book 1 of Fellowship pretty quickly, but I just cannot get through Chapter 2 of Book 2, "Council of Elrond". I mean it's just brutal. All they do is just keep throwing out like the names of a hundred different people and places. I mean that's literally all they do. They don't even explain the names either, they just keep giving you more and more. How am I supposed to remember all of those names? I don't want to have to keep turning back every few pages like it's causing me to do because I forgot something. I really think I might have to just put the book down and forget about it. I'm trying to read the chapter for a second time (I never made it all the way through once though), and it's just brutal. I can't believe I'm the only one that just can't stand this freaking chapter. I mean I'm about to just drop the entire series after breezing through the Hobbit and most of Fellowship because of this one stupid chapter. Reading should be fun...screw it. Oh well.

16. rimbaud

rimbaud Member
    Supporting Member

How is it a sequel and prequel?

17. DEANBCURTIS

DEANBCURTIS Member

This link should help you. :)

18. across110thstreet

WOW.

btw, the Hobbitt is the prequel.

the two towers is next, then the return of the king, if I am not mistaken, these are in sequential order.

19. rimbaud

rimbaud Member
    Supporting Member

across,

You are correct in the order and they are sequential...which is why I was asking how ROTK could be considered a prequel.

20. deepellumrocket

Not trying to put words in treeman's mouth, but I think he was under the impression that one of the films would be "The Hobbit", which would have been a prequel to "Fellowship..."