1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Looking Back on the 2021 Draft

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by deb4rockets, Nov 27, 2023.

1. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

I wouldn’t, either. But what about at 8 where Franz was drafted (Franz obviously goes higher in a redraft)? Aside from Sengun, the draft fell off pretty hard at that point. I’d much rather have Suggs than guys like Mitchell, Primo, Bouknight, etc. Assuming he stays healthy, Suggs is the kind of player who will be the league for a long time and sign bigger contracts than you might expect. Every team could use a guy like Suggs.

KingSamJack, vince and AroundTheWorld like this.
  2. Prince_Hakeem

Prince_Hakeem Member

Agreed. Cade is still has a lot of upside. Pistons are a terrible organization. He needs a change of scenery.

Question:

Amen Thompson straight up for Cade?
    Id do it.

3. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Member
    Supporting Member

Amen and Ausar reunited! :D

Prince_Hakeem likes this.
  4. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

1a. Sengun
    1b. Barnes

3. Franz
    4. Mobley
    5. Jalen

5. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

deb4rockets likes this.
  6. cbass

cbass Member

7. Ankara1923

Ankara1923 Member

8. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Trade Green and Sengun for Reaves and Murphy is hilarious.

9. topfive

topfive CF OG

Maybe he can find one at a local high school.

apollo33 and harold bingo like this.
  10. Yetti

Yetti Member

So much rubbish was presented by so called fans in this theme! Y

11. mightybosstone

I really like Jalen Green and still think there's a chance he ends up as an All-Star down the line, but it's crazy to me how much some Rockets fans overrate him. Ranking him over Mobley and Barnes is insane. Based on what, exactly? Both of those guys have been so much more efficient, productive and versatile than Jalen. He has no business being ranked ahead of Wagner, Barnes, Sengun or Mobley, and you could make a really good case for 3-4 other guys easily.

12. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

I see Mobley and certainly Barnes ahead of him in the majority of posts in this thread - but don't let the facts get in way of your narrative.

13. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Member

Isnt Wagner less efficient than Green?

Also wasn't Barnes through a full season a lot less efficient than Green last year?

Let's give it a season huh.

14. invocux

invocux Member

He's 6'10, fast for his size, has good handles, can dribble, defend, pass and score. His ceiling is around Markkanen.

15. invocux

invocux Member

Because his true shooting last year was 58.9% meaning he has what it takes to get there again. Jalen's ts% was never above 55%

16. juicystream

juicystream Member

1) Sengun
    2) Barnes
    3) Trey Murphy (he was 17th)
    4) Mobley
    5) Wagner
    6) Green

Honestly, the top 5 players in the draft are pretty clear, though the order is arguable. It is a substantial drop off from there. Basically see those 5 as starters, and everybody else as a bench player or worse right now. Green's defensive strides, and talent level will hopefully move him up.

Old School74 likes this.
  17. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

One of these guys is the best player on the 3rd best team in the NBA. Yes Paolo is a better scorer but Franz is in a massive unsustainable shooting slump and they have almost the same ppg. If you watch that team play, you can see that Franz is the leader on the court. This guy is 6'10, athletic, great handles, good defense, playmaking, super high IQ, and before this year a good shooter.

1. Franz
    2. Alpi
    I was more worried about his ceiling when he was 6'9 but now that he's 6'11, the sky is the limit.
    3. Mobley
    His defense is legit. The offense isn't as bad as people think it is. Garland and Mitchell have had a lot of injuries this year. Craig Porter Jr has been the primary playmaker for a lot of it.
    4. Barnes
    Regressed last year but looking like the ROY guy again this year.
    5. Cade
    Hard to be a drive and kick guard with no shooting whatsoever. Ends up driving into 4 defenders in the paint.
    6. Jalen Green
    Really good at getting open but doesn't really make the open shot consistently. Doesn't really do anything except score so when he's not feeling it you forget he's even on the floor.
    7. Trey Murphy
    8. Suggs

18. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Member

Aight so then Green is better than Barnes then because Green had a higher efficiency over a full season compared to Barnes.

19. OremLK

OremLK Member

ITT: A lot of people forgetting Cam Thomas was in this draft

Of course the Rockets fan in me wants to say "Alpi #1" and I think he has made a strong case so far this season he should have been at least in the top 3 and perhaps even first overall.

That said, call me crazy, but trying to be as objective as possible, I might still take Cade #1. The shooting is coming around, over 50% from three the past few games and up to 33.3% on the season. Bear in mind Cade has only played 92 games in the NBA, he's barely more than a rookie in terms of game experience. I still believe in his game overall and think he will be All-NBA caliber down the road if he can stay healthy.

I think I slightly lean toward Sengun even with my homer glasses removed, but trying to project future value, it's pretty close. A 6'6" point guard who can playmake, create his own shot, and shoot from the perimeter is an incredibly valuable asset, and if you still believe Cade can become that guy (efficiently), that's an amazing player. See: SGA.

I'll go with this for now:

1. Alperen Sengun
    2. Cade Cunningham
    3. Scottie Barnes
    4. Franz Wagner
    5. Evan Mobley
    6. Jalen Green
    7. Josh Giddey
    8. Cam Thomas (will rise if he continues current pace)
    9. Trey Murphy III
    10. Herb Jones
    11. Austin Reaves
    12. Santi Aldama
    13. Jalen Johnson
    Everyone else I can think of is looking pretty scrubby

Old School74 likes this.
  20. Mad Cornbread

Mad Cornbread Member

Which one still affects the game the most when their shots are not falling?.......That would be my pick........That impact is so valuable.....