1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lions step in to help abducted Ethiopian girl

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by arkoe, Jun 23, 2005.

1. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

Wednesday, June 22, 2005 - Page updated at 12:00 AM

Lions step in to help abducted Ethiopian girl

By ANTHONY MITCHELL
    The Associated Press

ADDIS ABABA, Ethiopia — A 12-year-old girl who was abducted and beaten by men trying to force her into a marriage was found being guarded by three lions that apparently had chased off her captors, a policeman said yesterday.

The girl, missing for a week, had been taken by seven men who wanted to force her to marry one of them, said Sgt. Wondimu Wedajo, speaking by telephone from the provincial capital of Bita Genet, about 350 miles southwest of Addis Ababa.

She was beaten repeatedly before she was found June 9 by police and relatives on the outskirts of Bita Genet, Wondimu said. She had been guarded by the lions for about half a day, he said.

"They stood guard until we found her and then they just left her like a gift and went back into the forest," Wondimu said.

"If the lions had not come to her rescue, then it could have been much worse. Often these young girls are raped and severely beaten to force them to accept the marriage," he said.

Tilahun Kassa, a local government official who corroborated Wondimu's version of the events, said one of the men had wanted to marry the girl against her wishes.

"Everyone thinks this is some kind of miracle, because normally the lions would attack people," Wondimu said.

Stuart Williams, a wildlife expert with the rural-development ministry, said the girl may have survived because she was crying from the trauma of her attack.

"A young girl whimpering could be mistaken for the mewing sound from a lion cub, which in turn could explain why they didn't eat her," Williams said.

Ethiopia's lions, famous for their large black manes, are the country's national symbol and adorn statues and the local currency. Despite a recent crackdown, hunters also kill the animals for their skins, which can fetch $1,000. Williams estimates that only 1,000 Ethiopian lions remain in the wild.

Click Here
    The girl, the youngest of four siblings, was "shocked and terrified" after her abduction and had to be treated for the cuts from her beatings, Wondimu said.

He said police had caught four of the abductors and three were still at large.

The United Nations estimates that more than 70 percent of marriages in Ethiopia are by abduction.

Copyright © 2005 The Seattle Times Company
    --------------------------------------------

That's pretty crazy.

2. Mr. Brightside

nothing surprising here. africa is living in the 18th century still.

3. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Member

Except that a bunch of Lions saved - then guarded a young girl from kidnapping rapists.

4. TapeFreak

TapeFreak Member

Yeah I'm not even sure if you read the article...

I think it's pretty amazing...must be one special girl. Woulda' been nice if the lions chased down the men and ate them or something...sicko's.

5. wizkid83

wizkid83 Member

But crap 70% of the that country do it wtf?

6. Saint Louis

Saint Louis Member

Stop putting the 18th century down like that. This kind of action is at least 6th or 7th century.

7. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

I remember reading about a man who had fallen overboard in the middle of the ocean and a sea turtle swam underneath him, allowed the man to grab on and then swam him hundreds of miles to land. Animals can be amazing.

8. PhiSlammaJamma

Don't forget those dolphins fending off the sharks last year and saving a small pod of humans for a few hours.

9. Uprising

Uprising Member

A lot of interesting news coming out of Africa in the last 24hrs...first the toung grabbing grandpa, and now this! :eek:

10. Sishir Chang

Sishir Chang Member

Sorry to be captain bringdown here but perhaps the lions were just saving her for a snack later on.

11. Oski2005

Oski2005 Member

Then they would probably have killed her and guarded the carcass.. err body.

12. 3814

3814 Member

supposedly last week, one guy found a neighbors dog to be pretty amazing.

13. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Member

It's sick that marriage abductions are the norm and not the anamoly.

It'll be a long time before the US considers the thought of liberal intervention again.

14. Sishir Chang

Sishir Chang Member

Possibly but predators will sometimes keep a small or wounded animal alive for awhile so their cubs can kill them to learn how to hunt.

15. Sishir Chang

Sishir Chang Member

Yet we keep on killing them and destroying their environment. Its a good thing sea turtles, dolphins and lions don't read National Geographic or have a sense of irony otherwise if they saw a human in trouble they would probably sit back and taunt them with, "Hey I would save you but I'm too busy untangling myself from this gill net and hacking up that plastic bag that I accidently ate thinking it was a jellyfish."

16. Relativist

Relativist Member

Wow. Reminds me of the Narnia series. Aslan (in trinity form) steps in and saves the day. Speaking of which, I'm excited about the new Lion, Witch, and Wardrobe movie. I'll have to go back and re-read the book before I see it.

I'm glad the girl's okay. Given how screwed up this world can be, I sometimes wonder whether it's worth sticking around.