1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lin worth a first round pick? A lottery pick?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by haydenfisher342, Apr 16, 2014.

1. rocketsmetalspd

Broussard is throwing things around hoping one sticks and he looks good. The team besides Philly that will look to take Lin would be the Toronto Raptors, with Lowery on his way out they will need a PG.

2. King1

King1 Member

You're a groupie dude. Your basketball IQ is non existent. All you do is try and and convince people Lin is a potential All-Star because of a weird obsession. It's pathetic

3. Visagial

Visagial Member

It's interesting that Amick reported that Lin will only be traded when necessary. I take this to mean three things.

1. He's important to the team from a marketing perspective - "Asia's team"
    2. Trading him will cost the team an asset, so why give up an asset unless you have a deal in place that requires the cap room.
    3. He still has value on the court. There's a reason he still played a lot of minutes in the playoffs over guys like Hamilton etc. He's obviously not worth his contract for this year but he's not a total scrub and his deal is expiring anyway.

4. meh

meh Member

Unless a Broussard tweet starts with "LeBron's agent says..." He's worthless. Broussard has one source and that's the only source worth listening to him for.

5. ThisVoice

ThisVoice Member

nah jlin is not a scrub, he played major minutes during playoff and was the key player who killed mavs and spurs back to back when Harden was out.

We need to give him the credits.

He is just inconsistent, an inconsistent player will be relegated to more like jr smith type of role on any team. He is 6th men at best unless he could be more consistent. I do feel he has untapped potential that was not explored during his 2 years on this team. I think he push the tempo and set the tone on offense pretty well, his defense improved as well. Hopefully other GMs or scouts and see that

6. theglyde1121

theglyde1121 Member

No, they already have one. Lin will be harder to trade than Asik.

7. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Member

In isolation, I'd say Lin was worth a mid-1st-rounder -- maybe around #20. But, given that the Asik leak sets his price in the mid-teens, and Lin has that big balloon payment too, we're asking to take no salary back, everyone knows that Morey is a motivated seller, and they know that agreeing to a deal enables Morey to go for a big fish, I agree we have no hand. No leverage at all. The good points for Lin is that he's a decent point guard, and quite famous, and that the winning team will get his Bird Rights but will be able to sign him to a very reasonable contract next offseason. I think the question is whether it'll cost us the #25 from this year or the ~#15 in next year's draft.

8. King1

King1 Member

It's 2 for me

9. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Lin is definitely not a scrub, just a mediocre PG who makes really dumb decisions a lot of the time. He has potential though and is a hardworking kid. He also has that whole Asian marketing gimmick going for him that greatly helps out whatever team signs him. That says, the odds of us trading him without paying a price is very slim.

10. Baqui99

Baqui99 Member

We are going to have to give Philly our 1st rounder in order for them to take on Lin.

11. playdo

playdo Member

My guess is that they will use the 1st round pick from NO to trade Lin for the salary clearance reason and go for melo or lebron.

12. langal

langal Member

whoever takes Lin is doing us a favor.

There has to be a real weird situation where a team would want him for one year. Outside of maybe marketing, I can't really think of many basketball reasons to warrant his contract.

13. AvgJoe

AvgJoe Member

That is why we need to attach a pick with him as incentive.

14. saleem

saleem Member

Most probably a high one at that, unless the Raptors settle for #25 and the soon to be acquired Pelicans one from the potential Asik trade. If Lowry re-signs with Toronto, then Philly might be our only choice.

Bottom line is that we can't offer a big contract to any of the stars, unless Lin leaves for cap room.

15. i meow a lot

i meow a lot Member

Which teams are in this situation? Miami, Knicks...that's all I can think of atm

16. torocan

torocan Member

List of team salary totals...

http://hoopshype.com/salaries.htm

The 2014/15 totals will change dramatically as teams re-sign their FA's of course.

17. i meow a lot

i meow a lot Member

Thanks. ROFL is Arenas still collecting a paycheque??

18. Panda23

Panda23 Member

[​IMG]

19. Raven

Raven Member

Correct, correct, correct, but number two is probably the deciding factor.

20. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Honestly, there is no reason to trade Lin yet. Asik wanted out so we traded him to show the league we could. Lin involves paying a price and if we trade him without a FA committing, it's just silly. Unlike us, FO does not have to worry about insane LoF's as they love their money. Rockets FANS could care less what sort of sponsorship Lin brings to the table. If we CAN'T get LBJ/Melo/Bosh though, I do expect a trade for Lowry with Raptors though.