1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lin: "Honestly, I preferred New York."

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ScolaIsBallin, Jul 18, 2012.

1. DAROckets

DAROckets Member

I'ts not helping,been 42 years

#81 DAROckets, Jul 18, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2012
  2. BrotherFish

BrotherFish Member

I understand why he said that, but it would have been much cooler if Lin said, "I'm taking my talents to Clutch City!" :cool:

3. Joe Fan

Joe Fan Member

Haven't you ever noticed that the only people who say this are from New York? Seems pretty parochial.

4. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Member

Actually, basketball kind of sucks in Mecca. The Mecca Prophets are a perennial lotto team in the Saudi Basketball League.

5. BamBam

BamBam Member

Nice article....but it's all PR....Lin is a Harvard grad, he knew he was
    putting the Knicks in a pickle by signing that revised contract...

I believe that the knicks players particularly Melo were jealous of Lin's
    complete adoration by the NY media/fans that he iso'd him from the
    front office....how else do you explain the Knicks wanting to bring in
    so many pg's....they only spoke to him once?......

6. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

But we have not been clutch for over a decade now so it wouldn't make sense.

7. Rileydog

Rileydog Member

The article is written to emphasize a couple of points:

- Lin loved the fans and wanted to stay.

- Knicks mgmt did not reach out to him. Lin's not happy about it, but doesn't expressly criticize them for failing to do it. It is clearly shown in his statement that he is glad to land somewhere he is really wanted (""But my main goal in free agency was to go to a team that had plans for me and wanted me.").

- This is also shown in how the article describes that he read on the internet about the trade for Felton. Nobody from the Knicks called him from the start of FA until Dolan called to say goodbye. ("While surfing the Internet last Sunday, Lin read that Felton was reportedly en route to the Knicks from Portland via a sign-and-trade. Earlier this month, New York had already signed Kidd; now, Lin saw the writing on the wall, along with everybody else. "Felton's signing was the first time when I thought, 'Oh, wow, I might not be a Knick,'" Lin said. The next time he heard from an executive in the organization, it was to tell him the Knicks were letting him go.")

- The Rockets treated him with class and it made a difference.

- Lin is all about the right things.

8. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

Lins not stupid. How many minutes was he going to play had they goten nash? They were so desperae for a pg upgradr they were willling to trade away one of the best young defenders in the nba for the privilege to sign nash.

I think he really did want to stay in ny but he saw the knicks didnt think he was good enough for them. His comments reveal that pretty much. Who cares though, a girls freakiness never comes out with the guy who took her virginity, its always the next guy who gets the handcuff and feathers.

9. Joe Fan

Joe Fan Member

I used to live amd work in DC, and dated a woman who lived in the City. I would take the Metroliner to Penn Station, then cab to her apartment. We had a lot of fun. The theatre cannot be beat and there are some great restaurants. But it was very expensive and I was dropping a giant wad every trip. Her apartment (she was an ad exec) which she was so proud of, was in reality a small, cramped studio -- and you could hear all the neighbors. It was hot and very smelly in the summer, and cold and dirty in the winter. She did not have a car, of course, so we were constantly schlepping around on various modes of public transportation. The streets and subways are crowded with too much pushing, shoving and yelling. There were lots of crazy people (not wild, but insane) walking the streets. One day there was this huge, fat woman sitting in front of a door we needed in. She had taken off all her clothes and refused to move. It's always something like that.

I got along well with most people there well and enjoyed their company usually. They ones I came to know were pretty bright. There are alot of well-educated folks in NYC. And, with the fashion industry, there are also of lot of nice looking tall, skinny women.

So, while i am not from there, I know it pretty well. And I still prefer it here.

10. Akim523

Akim523 Member

16% stock value increase is ( roughly 500 million dollars)

11. Joe Fan

Joe Fan Member

But we had the great NYC playground legend, Kenny the Jet!
    Never would have won anything without the Jet.
    He's a legend!
    Right?

12. ballclub

ballclub Member

Lin loved NY fans. Can HOU fans replicate that atmosphere?

I was struck by Lin's comments on SI.com today:

"I love the New York fans to death. That's the biggest reason why I wanted to return to New York...I wanted to play in front of those fans for the rest of my career."​

I know it's 3 years away, but after Lin's contract is done, he may consider going back to NY if they make a run at him after letting him go. I believe it would be easier for the Rockets to keep and recruit great players if they knew our crowd was in the top echelon of the NBA.

As a Rockets fan, it's embarrassing to see the lower bowl empty at tip-off, needing big screen gimmicks to get fans to clap, fans leaving the game early, even when we were winning with Yao. The "Library at LaBranch" is a joke. The Red Rowdies were a step in the right direction, but it's not enough.

Does anyone have great ideas to get Toyota Center close to the MSG or OKC crowd experience? Hell, even getting Dallas', Golden State's, or Sacramento's atmosphere would be a step in the right direction. Or is Houston doomed for crowd mediocrity?

I'm tired of the only differentiator for free agents to choose Houston is the "no state income tax" argument. It's not enough. As fans, we can do better than that. But what can be done? Maybe good ideas in this thread can be sent to the Rockets for consideration.

13. tinywang

tinywang Member

Looks like he will fit right in with Dwight.

Also, please stop feeding the troll.

14. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Member

Why do Knick fans think they have any shot at CP3? The Clippers are dumb but I doubt they want Amare 'My Knee Hurts' Stoudemire

15. RV6

RV6 Member

New York mad.

J ‏@FlyFOEaLightGuy
    LET ME GET A CHICKEN AND BROCCOLI AND WONTON SOUP YOU BACKSTABBING SON OF A b**** @JLin7

16. fogo18182028

fogo18182028 Member

What you mean? We got a steal, Lin is a max type player.

17. jacoby

jacoby Member

lol. Knick fans are terrible. NYK's management DIDN'T EVEN GIVE HIM AN OFFER. He signed a lucrative offer with a team that has shown great interest in him. WHAT A b*stard!

I hate living in NY sometimes.

18. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Member

The guy isnt a FAN, at ALL. Thats giving him too much credit. He has no rooting interest in anything. He's just here for his own kicks.

He's a contrarian and irritant, pure and simple.

19. LoyalRocket

LoyalRocket Member

Tmacs 13 points in 35 seconds was pretty clutch especially if you were watching the whole game live on TV or in person, hearing Marv Albert and Steve Kerr call the last few seconds of that game was classic I couldn't believe what I was seeing, Rockets look dead and depleted. But T Mac never gave up...the look on Devon Browns face was also classic as was Pop chewing out Manu for messing around at the end!

Ahh Clutch City, my city
    :cool:

20. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Me too! I never even wanted to Ignore anyone before, no matter how hard they trolled. But this was a new kind of troll. And I don't even think that highly on Lin!

As for Lin preferring New York, I'm not surprised. His stardom existed simply because he did what he did while in New York. Had he put up the same numbers in, say, Milwaukee, far fewer would have noticed.

Still, it is nice to have a 23-year-old starting caliber PG on our team.