1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Like or hate Tom Cruise and his movies?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Faos, Jul 2, 2005.

?

Like or Hate Tom Cruise

1. I like Tom Cruise and his movies

66 vote(s)
    74.2%
  2. I hate Tom Cruise and would never pay to see him

23 vote(s)
    25.8%
  1. Faos

Faos Member

Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one who still likes Tom Cruise and his movies anymore. I like his movies. I think he does a good job of picking directors and movies that overall are pretty well written. Granted, he may not be a terrific actor, but I think he's more than adept at handling the roles he's given. Here's a list of his movies from IMDB and whether I liked the movie or not. Obviously his role had something to do with my decision. There are a few that I haven't seen.

# War of the Worlds (2005) .... Ray Ferrier ---- Yes
    # Collateral (2004) .... Vincent ---- Yes
    # The Last Samurai (2003) .... Nathan Algren ---- Yes
    # Minority Report (2002) .... Chief John Anderton --- Yes
    # Vanilla Sky (2001) .... David Aames ---- Yes
    # Mission: Impossible II (2000) .... Ethan Hunt ---- Yes
    # Magnolia (1999) .... Frank T.J. Mackey --- Yes
    # Eyes Wide Shut (1999) .... Dr. William 'Bill' Harford --- No
    # Jerry Maguire (1996) .... Jerry Maguire ----- Yes
    # Mission: Impossible (1996) .... Ethan Hunt ---- Yes
    # Interview with the Vampire (1994) .... Lestat de Lioncourt ---- Never saw it
    # The Firm (1993) .... Mitch McDeere ---- Yes
    # A Few Good Men (1992) .... Lt. Daniel Kaffee --- Yes
    # Far and Away (1992) .... Joseph Donnelly ---- Ok
    # Days of Thunder (1990) .... Cole Trickle ---- Ok
    # Born on the Fourth of July (1989) .... Ron Kovic ----- Never saw it
    # Rain Man (1988) .... Charlie Babbitt --- Yes
    # Young Guns (1988) (uncredited) .... Cowboy --- Never saw it
    # Cocktail (1988) .... Brian Flanagan --- Yes
    # The Color of Money (1986) .... Vincent ---- Yes
    # Top Gun (1986) .... Lt. Pete 'Maverick' Mitchell --- Yes
    # Legend (1985) .... Jack --- Yes
    # All the Right Moves (1983) .... Stef --- Yes
    # Risky Business (1983) .... Joel Goodsen --- Yes
    # Losin' It (1983) .... Woody --- Yes
    # The Outsiders (1983) .... Steve Randle --- Yes
    # Taps (1981) .... David Shawn --- Yes
    # Endless Love (1981) .... Billy --- Never saw it

2. KaiSeR SoZe

KaiSeR SoZe Member

I like Tom Cruise and his movies

3. deepellumrocket

As a person, he really annoys the heck out of me so I always go into his movies expecting not to like them but invariably I do like them.

So, Don't like Cruise, but do like his movies should be a poll option. :confused:

4. ClutchCityReturns

Good question.

Not because I think it's something worth pondering (I definitely DO like his movies) but because my friends and I have had the same exact discussion. We came to the conclusion that he doesn't do just flat out bad movies, with the only exception being Eyes Wide Shut, which is exactly what you show in your findings. I thought that was interesting.

5. thegary

thegary Member

hate is a pretty strong word, but it ain't strong enough. i would like to bludgeon the jackass to death. there, that's better. can you put that option in the poll, pretty please?

6. fadeaway

fadeaway Member

'The Last Samurai' angered me more than any movie I have ever seen. The American maverick becomes a better samurai warrior in a few months than most of the other samurai warriors who have devoted their whole lives to their swordsmanship. Yeah, that's plausible. :rolleyes: Then, for the icing on the cake, pretty boy Tom leads the charge as the samurai go into battle and ends up being the only one to survive.

God, I hate that movie so much. Never has a film left such a bitter taste in my mouth.

7. tierre_brown

tierre_brown Member

Agreed. I thought there would actually be a bigger uproar about that from the Japanese/Asian community...

I can't stand him as a person, but his movies are usually entertaining. I usually just try to forget the jackass behind the character he's playing...

8. MadMax

MadMax Member

Tom Cruise is weird..but I don't hate him.

Depends on the movie. A Few Good Men was excellent. So was Rainman. And I loved Jerry Maguire.

9. swilkins

swilkins Member

I like Tom Cruise as an Actor, but can do without his interviews. Plus the movies hide his short stature.

10. Rocketeer

Rocketeer Member

LOL. I don't hate Tom Cruise but I don't think he's a great actor either. He's a good actor and happen to like the movies that he is in. My favorite movies are Vanilla Sky and Risky Business.

11. Coach AI

Coach AI Member

Funny. I thought that was handled tastefully. I was prepared to think the movie idiotic, but then I saw it; it was much more believable than I thought they'd be able to pull off.

I don't remember anything showing he was a better samurai warrior? And he was supposed to be a good fighter/soldier before that, something I thought they established well.

My only problem with it was that it dragged on and got bogged down by cheese at the end. But other than that, I was surprised.

12. No Worries

No Worries Member

I like Tom Hanks and his movies.

I like Tom Cruise's movies.

13. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Member

It's not hate - but I don't know if I can watch another Tom Cruise movie without constantly thinking to myself - "That man is off his meds, that man is off his meds, that man is crazy."

14. drapg

drapg Member

What has Tom Cruise done to anyone of you personally to cause feelings of hatred or worse?

He does great movies. That's all I care about when it comes to my actors/actresses. (Oh, and if they're hot or not helps for the actresses.)

His personal beliefs? Who cares? They don't affect my life one way or another. Honestly, I don't even know what the great hub-bub about him lately has been. All I know is he is dating Katie Holmes and apparently he's made some guest appearances on TV shows (like Oprah) where he was a tad bit animated.

Who cares? He's happy. So what? No skin off my back.

15. francis 4 prez

you know, that's the way it felt the first five minutes of War of the Worlds, just constantly thinking about all the crazy stuff he's been doing, and it really felt as if the whole audience was feeling it, but as soon as the action started (and a few jokes that got laughs happened) that all went away and you didn't even think of it the rest of the movie. he was just the same tom cruise from all his other movies.

as for Last Samurai. he was there for like 6 months and the best he ever did was get a draw with that one guy. considering he was a damn good soldier beforehand, that doesn't seem that ridiculous. it's not like he was kicking ken watanade's ass up and down the village by the end. and his status as one of the enemy is also a good reason he would have major input on the battle and be one of the leaders of the charges etcetera. katsumoto trusted him a lot by then and it makes sense.

and until all his craziness, i had never looked back over all the movies he had done and realized just how many good movies he had been in. like someone said, he just doesn't make bad movies except in very rare instances.

and he's got a ton of big box office, highly acclaimed movies over his career and he's been good in almost all of them.

anyone know how much he gets per movie? i think he got 10% of W.o.t.W. but i assume others just pay him. he's got to be in that $20M range that pitt and carrey and others get considering the success of his movies.

16. aeroman10

aeroman10 Member

I dont care if Tom Cruise is really crazy or not, I like his movies and will continue to watch movies in which he plays a role.

17. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Member

There should be more options. I dislike him as a person but I like his movies and I think he's a pretty good actor.

18. Faos

Faos Member

Sorry I didn't put much thought into the actual poll question.

19. Austin70

Austin70 Member

His movies are entertaining, in most of his movies he has that same gung ho attitude from All the Right Moves to Days of Thunder to Jerry Maguire.

20. No Worries

No Worries Member

You made it this far into the movie? I only made it half way before I punted it. Cruise's only fault was signing up for this turd.