1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Let's Say.....

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Lil Pun, Dec 19, 2002.

1. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

That the Rockets make the playoffs this year as a 4 seed or above. Then let's say Yao Ming is averaging: 21.4 points per game 11.0 rebounds per game, 4.1 blocks per game. With stats like these Yao would most definitely be voted Rooie of the Year but don't you think he should also be considered for MVP of the league if he comes in and makes such a huge contribution and turns around a team from lottery bound to championship contender? If not because of this he should be voted simply to make up for the fact that Kidd didn't get it last year.

2. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

Voting for various awards end sometime before the last game of the the season; so what you do in post season does not matter.

Yao is on a steady path to becoming the rookie of the year IMO.

Yao will also get MVP consideration and votes but I believe this is not his year. The interesting thing though is that up untill today no player has distinguished themselves yet as the front runner for the MVP IMO.

At year's end, the following will be nominated for MVP honor;

Shaq
    Kobe
    Dirk
    Nash
    Webber
    Yao
    Kidd
    O'Neal Jermaine
    Duncan

IMO = In my opinion.

3. SLA

SLA Member

That would be hilarious if Yao Ming was the Most Valuable Player this year. He has made a tremendous impact because it is so easy for him, but I don't think he will be that good. He might not even be the Rookie of the Year if Amare Stoudamire and Drew Gooden continue to do good as well. We will definitely make the playoffs this year. We have already beat all the good playoff contenders besides DALLAS and at Compaq Center. Yao Ming must have the most double-doubles in NBA History as a rookie.

4. rocketfan83

rocketfan83 Member

It will be pretty tough for Yao to average these stats overall but realistic for him to achieve that starting tommorw and beyond. He will get consideration if the Rockets are a Top 3 or 4 seed but same with Steve Francis. I don't see him getting it this year. Ill stick with my T-MAC prediction.

5. derrock

derrock Contributing Member

Lil' Pun, if Yao gets those stats, he'd have to average:

25ppg 12.4rpg 5.0bpg

the rest of the way...might be a stretch for the blocks but it's perfectly possible!! And if does, then hell yeah he should be considered an MVP candidate. But before we get ahead of ourselves, let's just say he continues to play the way he has over the last eight games (since the SA game):

19.5ppg 13rpg 3.1bpg.

and his season averages end up that way. Definitely ROY numbers but not quite MVP. There are just too many other candidates: Dirk, Garnett, and Kidd (who's playing better this year than last). Kobe and Tracy also but both have knocks on them. Kobe's Shaq-less audition is a negative and Tracy looks like he's gonna have an injury-plagued season. I think if the Lakers shape-up and get in at a 4 seed or higher, the award automatically goes to Shaq.

Bottom-line: Yao begins many years of finishing in the top 10 for MVP. And if Stevie drops those turnovers and gets his assists up, he'll be there too.

6. SLA

SLA Member

I'd rather see Steve with 12 assists and no rebounds than 6 assists and 6 rebounds. Sometimes he just goes crazy and he doesn't have a very good supporting cast of shooters.

TMac is an awesome player, but he won't get MVP. He's injured right now and the Magic arent' doing that great.

Unless Shaq starts going wild, he cannot win the MVP.

So who will be the MVP?

7. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

What? Are you crazy? You would rather have a John Stockton pass only guy instead of this well rounded basketball player? We have a guy that can win us games in many many ways. Why on earth would you wish against that?

8. zenkle

zenkle Member

Before you made this conclusion, perhaps you should check the record of Chamberlain. All I know is, he averaged 37 points and 27 rebounds in his rookie year.... To him, double-doubles is just a matter of number game.

Do you think Yao can grab more double-doubles than Chamberlain? ;)

9. derrock

derrock Contributing Member

I don't mind the well-roundedness...just give Stevie some of Stockton's instincts and BB IQ! Oh well, can't have it all

10. Willis25

Willis25 Contributing Member

gentlemen - I like Yao as much as the next guy... but NO WAY does he get it over Dirk OR Finley - dude the Mavs have ONLY THREE FREAKING LOSSES - the Rockets are a few years from getting an MVP (at least until Yao becomes the "franchise")

11. matrixReloaded

Steve Francis deserves a lot of MVP attention also. Many analysts and broadcasters are giving Franchise the credits for the turnaround, though Yao Ming is contributing greatly. Remember, this team was suppose to contend for a playoff position BEFORE we drafted Yao.

I would put Steve in 5th place in MVP considerations right now, with the top 4 being Kobe, Dirk, Jason Kidd & CWebb.

But that's just my opinion.

12. SLA

SLA Member

lol zenkle...
    I forgot about him...
    Wilt Chamberlain was just too good. I never watched him play an actual game, but he was scoring A LOT.
    Then Yao will have the most double-doubles as a rookie in Houston Rockets franchise history.

13. lancet

lancet Contributing Member

Who cares about regular season MVP anyway... How about NBA Final MVP? :D

14. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

Steve and Yao kinda cancel each other out, at least for this season. No way either gets many votes when Dallas is playing so well.

15. SLA

SLA Member

Dallas is just too good. They are very confident...they have a bunch of players...And they have the Wizard Walt Williams!!! :(

16. zenkle

zenkle Member

SLA, nevermind. Actually I made kinda similar mistakes when I asked some stupid questions to my friends. They reminded me of the existence of our great Chamberlain... :)

Actually I think it gonna be fun to watch the game between Houston and Dalas again. Every time people talk about Yao's revenge, but I think the next time should be Dalas's turn.

17. SLA

SLA Member

heh...We can't beat Dallas. It's kind of impossible. Shawn Bradley is doing pretty good, although he was scoreless in the game against Yao. The Mavericks are too good, but I don't think they're going to win the championship.

18. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

I've seen some arguments that Steve cancels out Yao and vice versa and then people argue that Dallas' Dirk or Finley should be considred. Do they not cancel each other out? What about Shaq and Kobe do they not cancel each other out?

19. tie22fighter

tie22fighter Contributing Member

Hate to pour cold water... But no way in hell will Houston get a MVP this year.

Yao - hit the rookie wall in the second half of the season.

Francis - Boy, so many deficiencies. So little assists and so many dumb turn-overs. But most importantly, no defense, and it means he will get schooled head to head by the top point guards of the league 8 out of 10 times.

Mobley - Actually has the best chance of getting a MVP this year now that he is trying to play defense.

In a nut shell, no chance in hell.

20. paxil

paxil Contributing Member

Where did you get those Chamberlan's number? Just curious. Sounds like mission impossible.