1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Let freedom ring.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Northside Storm, Jan 27, 2011.

1. Northside Storm

[​IMG]
    Egyptian demonstrators face up to anti-riot police

<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/eGXj6cWpUhQ" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>

A wave of revolution is sweeping the Middle East.

There's a topic for Tunisia already-but it seems Tunisia may be the spark that has lit a fire under the whole region.

It's utterly ridiculous as you parse through the news reports and realize there have been presidents for 20, 30 years!

And of course, it's a bit awkward for the United States that the first to be targeted are staunch American allies...though this may be no coincidence.

2. Northside Storm

The Guardian offers valuable insight to the Egypt situation-

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/blog/2011/jan/27/egypt-protests?intcmp=239

things, they are a moving.

3. mc mark

mc mark Member

One of my co workers is Egyptian. He's crazy excited (and a bit apprehensive) because he is getting on a plane tomorrow for Cairo for 10 days. He said he's been waiting for this day since he was 7 years old.

4. thadeus

thadeus Member

I wonder how long it will be until the poor and middle-class in the U.S. finally get fed up enough to do something like this.

1 person likes this.
  5. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Member

This is awesome. Interesting to note that much of this can be attributed to Wikileaks (at least, Tunisia anyhow).

No surprise at all, Northside, that the dictators propped up by massive US support (yay democracy, right?) are the first to go.

6. mc mark

mc mark Member

My friend said that FaceBook is the place to be for information. Apparently there are literally hundreds of pages set up following the uprising.

7. Landlord Landry

tea party members showing signs of violence :confused:

8. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Member

I wonder if Kevin Martin was distracted by the situation in his home country, resulting in his poor shooting night.

9. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Never. You don't understand how bad it has to be for people to rebel. If you are born poor in these countries, there are no opportunities. The biggest thing that could happen here is if we get a legit third party.

10. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Member

11. basso

basso Member
    Supporting Member

<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/G3onnJuBS18" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>

12. justtxyank

justtxyank Member

You think this country is the equivalent of Egypt, Tunisia, Yemen, etc?

You need a reality check badly.

13. basso

basso Member
    Supporting Member

glynch hack your account?

yours is one of the most facile, and idiotic comments i've read on here in a very long time.

1 person likes this.
  14. SamFisher

SamFisher Member

whoa, looks like basso put himself on ignore!

2 people like this.
  15. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

16. basso

basso Member
    Supporting Member

17. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Member
    Supporting Member

Really hope things don't end up like what happened to the Green Revolution in Iran a few years ago.

18. SamFisher

SamFisher Member

You should probably be more worried that it doesn't end up like what happened in Iran's 1979 Revolution.

19. s land balla

s land balla Member

I'm going to Lebanon and Syria in March. :eek:

20. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Member

Syria is fine (I really wish I couldve gone to Damascus) and I was in Lebanon in November. Just be smart in Beirut. The whole city is completely divided on sectarian grounds so dont do anything to stand out and you'll be fine. I also stood out like a sore thumb since I didnt look like everyone else so I had no problem going into Hezbollah controlled areas of Beirut.

That said its probably worse now that the government is collapsing but life always goes on in Beirut in spite of problems with the government.

1 person likes this.