1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including KD vs. Ant and the star-studded Clippers-Mavericks matchup

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Less Fantasy and Les Reality

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by oeilpere, Aug 17, 2001.

1. oeilpere

oeilpere Member

Let's try to put things in perspective .....

I bought a race car once. It was ugly as hell, but ran smooth and clean. Looked like it would do everything I needed it to do. The guy who sold it to me said I could have a couple of days to decide and buy or return it. Said to think it over.

I did.

I had a mechanic friend check it out. Turned out that this smooth runner was in pretty good condition, but had a couple of previous accidents, nothing major. There was a patch on the radiator and the brakes were not “new” as they guy told me …. they were resurfaced about 12 or 15,000 miles ago.

I called the seller back and said I may be interested in returning the car, but first thought maybe he would like to know what I found. That I was a bit disappointed. That I didn’t have the same feeling about the deal as I did before. That this would effect whether I purchased from him in the future.

He said he would get back to me. He called an hour later and said he would try to throw in a set of seat covers, and he had a new radiator located at another dealer friend of his.

I said I would think about it, but I still may take him up on his offer, and return the car. No hard feelings.

Radiator guy calls back, says he is the sellers friend .... and the seller has done some favors for him in the past ..... blah blah ..... . Says he can’t give me a new radiator but will throw in a set of tires with a reconditioned radiator.

Car seller calls back and asks if I talked to radiator guy. Also says he really wants me to keep the car, doesn’t really want to return the check, but he can’t cut the price anymore. Said he can’t guarantee the car either, but will put in writing that he will give me my choice of a brand new subcompact first chance he gets one in stock.

Finally that following Friday I decided ….

…… I would keep the car, would take the seat covers, the radiator replaced, and take the set of tires,. I called a brake man and got the brakes fixed. The kids may need a subcomapct someday and I’ll take him up on his offer.

All in all … not bad. The seller knew what he was selling. I now know what I bought. The radiator guy apparently was happy because some deal of his was done too.

I’m thinking dang … we all have been compensated value for value. This could have been a heck of a lot worse.

Funny thing is ….. my wife thinks I got gypped in the deal. My kids think I was a sore loser and should have taken the car as is and “not embarrassed them all over the town”. My neighbor buddy tells unflattering jokes about it at the bowling alley every Tuesday night. And, a couple of guys at work never spoke to me for a week or two.

But yeah know what else is strange …. funny …..whenever any of these same people go buy something …. a car, a TV , or even a lawn mower …. they now ask if I will go along with them.

Mmmmmm. Funny.

2. Moe

Moe Contributing Member

Op, so you're saying that maybe Rice's condition was worse than the Rockets initially thought?

3. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

So who is throwing in the reconditioned radiator and tires? NY or Dallas?

I don't like the sound of reconditioned though. Must be an old player. :)

4. carlit0

carlit0 Member

Wonderful post!!!!oeilpere

Nice to read something well written.

5. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

I think he's saying that Les felt a bit hoodwinked when he heard that Rice's condition wasnt just going to go away, and he wanted to make sure that if Rice ended up hobbled for 3 years, the Rockets would get something in return.

I think he was a bit jacked about Kyle Hill signing with that French team, too.

Les is a good negotiator. More power to him. If we get picks from the Mavs and the Knicks, this is even better than I thought.

6. Rudyball

Rudyball Contributing Member

LOL!!!! Maybe we should have asked used full size instead of a subcompact :D

A shooter with a bad foot is not something you just accept as is, it could become :eek:

7. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I don't care....as long as it is not that Ford Taurus owned by CBFC's brother.

8. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Sounds like you should have called <a href="http://www.lemonbusters.com">Lemon Busters</a>! :D

9. Doctor Robert

Doctor Robert Contributing Member

I bought an old cream puff of an RX-7 about two years ago. Beautiful car with a couple minor problems. The brakes needed replacement and the hoses were all original from 15 years ago. Two months after I bought it, a bearing in the transmission went out and it cost me 60% of what I paid for the car to get it rebuilt.

BUT, I think your scenario is probably more likely. :)

10. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

I bought a subway card that didn't scan right a couple yrs back.

11. oeilpere

oeilpere Member

.... after a couple of poor outings my ugly race car won several competitive races. Never made it to the Indy but that's not what I got it for ....

.... sold the old radiator and the set of tires for a used but serviceable racing center console ....

.... evetually did get that sub compact for the kids too .... it was perfect for them ... eventually they stripped it down and rebuilt it .... and they took it all the way to Indy ...

.... beat the radiator dealer in a preliminary race in the south and shut down the car seller in the final lap at Indy with a convincing three car length lead .....

.... and won the whole enchilda ....

.... it was exciting, fun ... and hell that's what our family is all about ... isn't it?

PS I divorced my nay-saying wife, threatened to move from the neighborhood unless my neighbor shut his mouth, and I now own the business so those "fellow workers" better speak to me or I'll fire their collective butts ....

;)

12. CBrownFanClub

CBrownFanClub Contributing Member

What kind of race car?

CBFC

crispee -- to add insult to unjury, my other brother (fromobile) just ditched my beatuiful 89 Caprice with a huge dent in the back for essentially nothing. So much for sentimental hand-me-downs.

Fromobile -- How much did you end up getting for the Caprice? If it is under $400 do not tell me.

13. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Those subway cards are pretty cool...Buy eight sandwiches, and you get a free six inch sub!

So, oeilpere, I guess the moral of the story is...Don't trust your wife??

14. Caddman

Caddman Contributing Member

Has OP gone cryptic as well?

.... sold the old radiator and the set of tires for a used but serviceable racing center console ....

Does this mean the Rockets are getting a center for whatever else the knicks are giving us?

15. Hottoddie

Hottoddie Contributing Member

I just love stories with a happy ending. :)

16. Tb-Cain

Tb-Cain Member

Alright! The Rockets are getting a decent race car, seat covers, set of tires, a reconditioned radiator and a subcompact to be named later.

Translation:
    Race Car = Rice from NY
    Seat Covers = Benchwarmer from NY
    Set of Tires = Player with speed from DAL
    Reconditioned Radiator = Aging vet or player with injury history from DAL
    Subcompact = A draft choice (most likely foreign) from NY.

:p

Maybe I'm putting too much into the analogy.....

17. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

opie-You're only supposed to be cryptic when you're posting as Doc Rocket. :p

T-Minus 15 minutes

18. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

HAHA, this line is hilarious! I can hear the other NBA teams now "The Rockets are whining about Rice, they're literally stealing a pick from the Knicks! What a bunch of clowns!"

a week later. . .

Hey Les this is [insert name], I'm thinking about making a trade, how did you get New York to throw in that draft pick. . .

19. RocketScientist

RocketScientist Contributing Member

OP, you got lucky at Indy, I led the whole way until that final turn. Man that was a close one...

Rematch?

20. popeye

popeye Member

I almost blew a sneaker at turn Number 41, but passed that turn at exactly 12 Noon today and I have felt lot better since.