1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lenny Cook

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by binvegas, Jun 24, 2003.

1. binvegas

binvegas Member

Did you guys see his special on sportscenter. He was one of top rated high school basketball players last year a 6'6 shooting guard who was suppose to be a Stackhouse with defense, too young and dumb to make it straight out. He is playing for John Starks in some league getting 27 a game, but the league sucks, couldn't make Seattle, or the NBDL. Do you think since Gundy was suppose to go watch Starks coach, Starks might give this guy a good word and he gets a invite to the summer league team, and becomes this years Juaquin Hawkins. Who got referred by Scotty Brooks and made the team. Also what happened with Deangelo Collins, he and Amare had a war in the Mcdonalds game but Deangelo didn't get drafted.

2. NJRockFan

NJRockFan Member

I read an article saying that he's matured in terms of his behavior. I say give him a shot in the summer leagues to see what he's got in the tank.

Another PG to look at would be Omar Cook. Maybe a year has calmed him down.

They could be had cheaply.

3. ptw1

ptw1 Member

I agree with both post. Bring them end. Their upsides are high. Being around players who work hard like Cat and Steve

4. GrEgOnOmIcS

GrEgOnOmIcS Member

Cook doesn't play for Starks. He was playing against Stark's team.

5. finalsbound

finalsbound Member

He couldn't make the NBDL?

Is that even possible?

6. smackpeddler

smackpeddler Member

#1 Carmelo Anthony was the best high school prospect last year, Cooke was #2 or #3 (Bosh).

#2 Cooke was raised by a very wealthy family, and was privledged and still couldn't pass his high school exams

#3 he was not even good enough to make the developmental league

7. NJRockFan

NJRockFan Member

Actually, he wasn't. That family took him in when he was in his early teens. He had a rough upbringing and jumped from school to school. Academically he was always behind. I believe he may have had a learning disorder.

8. tozai

tozai Member

He dropped 47 in the USBL, haha. Anyways, why wouldn't we give him a chance for the summer league. We gave freaking Saul Smith a spot on the roster.

9. Gummi Clutch

Gummi Clutch Member

GET HIM NOW!!!

10. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

For 90% of his life, he lived in severe poverty. His AAU coach (a wealthy white lady who was the mom of Cooke's best friend) brought him in to her home.

Cooke also supposedly has a learning disability.

11. micah1j

micah1j Member

ESPN also said Seattle & Boston have standing offers for him to join their summer league teams.

12. finalsbound

finalsbound Member

The USBL is for those who were third-string bench warmers in high school.

Nah, I don't know, I still don't see how such a highly-touted young high school senior couldn't make the freaking d-league.

13. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Member

if i heard right on the sportscenter vignette he only started playing the game pretty recently (w/in past 5 years) and has only had the 4 years of hs as his organized ball experience. most people just said he was too raw and was getting by on his athleticism but he has the potential. Just watching some of the highlights you can somewhat tell that his jumper isnt bad but will need work and he needs to learn a post up game that most 6'6-6'7 sg's in the league have now. he is worth a tryout i would think he looks like he can play and if he can be had cheap and does pan out to be a good player role or bigger contributor it would be worth a shot