1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Legimitate championships

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Rockets Jones, Dec 21, 2011.

1. Rockets Jones

Rockets Jones Member

I'm really wondering how people in here deep down feel about all the championships since the beginning of the NBA, so how many of them were truly legimiate ?

I am wondering about this because recently someone brought up how the Celtics and Lakers have so many championships and other cities do not. Do the people in here who watched NBA as early as the 50s / 60s think they were legit ?

By legit I mean there we no signs of any playoff series being influenced by refs, this includes series of other teams so the Celtics /
    Lakers or whoever might get an easier opponent. Or heavy favouratism throughout the the whole season for the star players ? I have a feeling it was more team basketball back then and individuals didn't matter that much, but maybe that's just ignorance.

I have only watched basketball regularly since 2008, though I started watching it in 1997 but only 97-98 I really followed, the rest not so much. From what I can gather after reading some stuff mainly surrounding the MJ Bulls and watching games of late 80s I can say the following (starting with Bad boy pistons back-to-back):

- Pistons 2 championships were legit, there was no reason for the league or anyone to gain from a team with the image it had. They won because they fought hard, worked hard and had some great talent

- Bulls first 3-peat: as good as MJ was, there have been situations where MJ confronted refs for calling too many fouls and he seemed to get a lot of calls in his favour. However, the playoff games I saw and from what I read didn't show any signs of blatant favouratism or refs calling games terribly. So the first 2 are legit imo, but not the third. I might be biased but that game 7 in Seattle was full of terrible calls, as well as the last reg season game or even last 2 games so Rockets would lose HC. Whoever was behind this knew the Rockets would have the Bulls and any other team's number. They were amazing that year and could've beaten the Suns with Maxwell back.

- Rockets championships: legit. Olajuwon might have had some favourable calls during the season and playoffs, but no other player got the benefit of the doubt. Matter of fact, refs were many times calling in favour of the other team. 22-1 game @ SAS comes to mind and also the 94 Finals: Knicks got away with a lot! Double-clutch was magical as the teams weren't the best, but they worked hard, had some clutch players and Hakeem was just out of his mind.

- Bulls second 3-peat: Outside of MJ calls, nothing fishy imo about these 3. Rodman is a big reason why they had a notch on any team. Yes, the hug of Malone was nasty but that Rockets team could not have beaten Jazz @ Utah nor Bulls in 7 game series.

- Spurs 1999: some questionable calls in some series but they deserved it and made some great plays. Robinson wasn't exactly favoured by refs as even a Shaq or Olajuwon.

- Lakers 3-peat: 2002 hell no, the rest they deserved; 2001 the 76ers were just not good enough and 2000 I do not remember anything fishy.

- 2004 - 2007: no opinion

- Celtics 2008: no, the big 3 was just too good of a story not to end with a band. Some questionable calls in the playoffs, especially in the finals

- Lakers 2009: no, Rockets were robbed clearly: elbow to Battier, elbow to Artest, commentators reaction to Fisher's blatant blow to Scola which could've caused him serious head trauma!, Artest's ejection and above all: being able to predict the referee crew!

- Lakers 2010: no opinion

- Mavs 2011: yes, 100% legit. As much as I dislike some players on that team, Cuban put together a great team and Nowitzki played out of his mind.

Please share your thoughts

2. jello77

jello77 Member

This thread is dumb.

3. dharocks

dharocks Member

I think anytime a team wins a title by going to the Finals and winning it's lemitigate.

4. Rockets Jones

Rockets Jones Member

Alright, fair enough.

To jelloshot over there,
    just don't post, it's a waste of time..

5. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

What about lgemitiaet spelling?

6. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Member

Just shows the NBA is the most negatively critiqued nagged-about league of them all.

Baseball purists yell loudest when baseball traditions are messed with. But everyone in basketball from experts to novices has an opinion on basketball. There even such thing as a basketball "purist?"