1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Legendary Bassist Donald "Duck" Dunn Dead

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ima_drummer2k, May 14, 2012.

1. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Damn, not the way I wanted to start my week. He and Cropper broke so many racial music barriers. Cropper must be devastated. They've been playing together since high school.

RIP

2. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

Rest In Peace -
    Booker T & The MG's were just plain legendary. Great, great stuff.

3. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/U-7QSMyz5rg?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

4. RocketRaccoon

RocketRaccoon Contributing Member

5. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

Will have to give "The Blues Brothers" a ceremonial watch in his honor. RIP, Mr. Dunn.

6. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

R.I.P. :eek:
    :confused: Does a musician's death affect you that much? I mean, not family, not "friend"? I mean, I know this guy is famous... but... I didn't think it would mess up your week. You will make it, man.

7. plcmts17

plcmts17 Member

I remember being very sad when Barry White passed away. I loved his music, he's a freaking R&B legend and I was just depressed that I would never be able to see him in concert. I couldn't go to the Icon is Love show so I gave my tickets to my mom and thought there's always next time. He died the next year.:(:(:(

8. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

RIP. A music legend. Here he is in action on the Blues Brothers laying down a great bassline while smoking a pipe at the same time.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/EHV0zs0kVGg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

9. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I wouldn't expect you to understand, swoly. And I don't have the energy to try and explain it...

10. SwoLy-D

Thanks for that, plcmts17. That was a good explanation, man. :eek: Good thing your mom got to see him.

11. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

I remember when Joey Ramone died, I was thinking..wow, I'll never get to see them perform again. It was really sad..I didn't cry or anything, but I was really, really bummed. Reasoning: Ramones shows were some of the most fun concert experiences of my life. I enjoyed their shows more than any others I have seen..and I saw quite a bit when I was younger. To me, their music was just fun and exciting.

Also, to many people, music is really a sountrack to their lives. Drive to work - listening to Music. At work - musics on. Yardwork - headphones on. Hobbies - make music. To some, music is a huge part of who they are - a major influence on their lives. Its a way to experience new people, new cultures, new thoughts. I remember when I discovered The Smiths..my life changed dramatically from that point on..and many many people have similar experiences with different artists.

Heck, even my dad relaxes on his back porch...with his stereo on.

12. SwoLy-D

^ OK. Selena was like that for many of us who grew up listening to Tejano and all of the other peeps who grew up around her. I got to meet her in person and we even talked for a while. I know she didn't personally remember ME, but all of us at that meeting were big fans. :eek: Now, when she passed, and that tragically, THAT messed up my week.

A personal and deep bond is easy to have mess up your week, but when you just listen to that music, I was wondering how much it affects someone in comparison.

13. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

You even talked? Oh, well, yeah, that's totally different and more meaningful than whatever heretofore unmentioned connections ima has with Dunn. :rolleyes::confused:

He's a musician, he's bummed about it, paying respects, for his reasons. Let it be.

14. kpsta

kpsta Contributing Member