1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

League Starting to Take actions against Flopping

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Zboy, Oct 20, 2005.

1. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

While the new rule is very limited in terms of looking at flopping only from a defensive point of view, atleast the league realizes it is a problem and is trying to do something about it. Hopefully refs will implement it and the league will expand the restriction to flopping on all ends in future.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/...12oct12,0,5117887.story?coll=sfla-sports-heat

NBA crackdown: Let's don't do the flop

By Ira Winderman
    Staff Writer
    Posted October 12 200 Among the topics was closer scrutiny on players who embellish the appearance of contact when attempting to draw charging fouls.

Previously, three things could happen on such a play: the offensive player could be called for a charging foul, the defensive player could be called for a blocking foul, or the referee could allow play to continue.

This season, the latter option more often will be called as a defensive foul if the referee believes the defender "flopped," that is, fell without legitimate contact.

Considering the Heat works relentlessly on drawing charging fouls, with an aggressive rotating defense, the rule could be especially punitive to power forward Udonis Haslem.

However, coach Stan Van Gundy said he embraces the anti-flopping sentiment, considering the number of questionable charging calls that go against center Shaquille O'Neal.

"I'd love it, because I think we've got the guy in the league that more people flop on than anybody," Van Gundy said. "I think that there's probably an average of a foul a game on that on him. If they would knock it off altogether, I'd be very happy.

"I was writing the league. I wish they'd get tougher on it. From what they're saying, they're working on not getting fooled on the flop."

Haslem said the flopping against O'Neal has become so overt that something should be done, even if it brings further scrutiny on himself.

"I'm usually taking my charges on somebody driving to the basket out of control and their momentum is coming toward me," Haslem said. "Whereas the Big Guy is just taking one step back and guys are falling. He doesn't really even have enough momentum to charge those guys."

Still, Van Gundy figures as long as O'Neal's defenders are inches shorter and almost 100 pounds lighter, there is only so much empathy that can be engendered.

"It's very hard to call a flop," Van Gundy acknowledged. "We talked about it with Bennett. You can't say a guy's flopping, so go penalize it. It's very difficult to make that determination."

Other points of emphasis being stressed in seminars with referees are:

Yet another supposed crackdown on palming, with crossover dribbles that seemingly take seconds to complete.

Defensive 3-second calls for not actively guarding an opponent in the lane.

Violations for screens that are set without allowing for a single step by defenders.5

MIAMI ยท While Monday's exhibition opener basically was a meaningless exercise, what preceded that game against the Spurs was not.

Hours before the Heat's 103-101 victory, the team met with veteran NBA referee Bennett Salvatore to discuss this season's officiating points of emphasis.

2. macfan

macfan Contributing Member

In related news, Dirk Nowitzki is demoted to waterboy of the Dallas Mavericks

3. vwiggin

vwiggin Contributing Member

So THAT'S why Vlade retired. :p

4. droxford

droxford Member

This is a difficult issue.

There are those who abuse the flop and manipulate it to bend the rules.

But then again, refs frequently won't call a charge unless the defender flops.

5. apostolic3

apostolic3 Member

This must also apply to players with the ball like Jirk & Manu who act as if they get shot in the back every time they drive to the basket. I will never forget the call against Bowen on Jirk where the camera angle was perfect, the ref was standing right there and he still blew the whistle even though Jirk fell backward without being touched. He also does the screaming (even when he isn't touched) that seems to scare the refs into calling a foul. He should get a technical for that. Flopping to draw charging fouls is more pervasive but it's not the whole problem.

I love this idea but they better execute it right.

6. PhiSlammaJamma

I think it should be a stat and a technical foul. That way we know who these mutha's are.

7. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

I guess Manu doesn't need that mane of hair anymore for dramatic effect.

8. KeepKenny

KeepKenny Contributing Member

Is this an actual rule change, or did they just pull this out of their asses? If a guy tries to draw a charge and flops, how can it be a defensive foul if there is no contact? I mean, call a T for unsportsman conduct or something like that, but you can't just start calling defensive fouls when they aren't there.

Here's an idea: if a guy tried to draw a charge without much contact... :eek: don't call a charge :eek:

9. today

today Contributing Member

This sounds pretty stupid to me, you can't set a tight screen? I'd like to see some video showing what they are trying to prevent. Nothing pumps me up more than when we lay a guy out with a good screen or pick (ie Gary Payton year before last).

10. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

The point of calling the foul is to penalize the guy for flopping.

11. GoatBoy

GoatBoy Member

If a guy flops and there's no call, he's out of position. I think that's oenalty enough, as difficult as it would be to determine if it's really a flop or not.

12. KeepKenny

KeepKenny Contributing Member

I know that's the point, but they shouldn't be allowed to call it unless it's in the rule book. If it's such a problem, make it a rule. Don't start calling fouls that aren't justified by the rules.

13. apostolic3

apostolic3 Member

You and GoatBoy make good points. Concerning the rules, as long as everyone knows from the beginning what will and will not be called, I'm OK with it whether it's written specifically or not. I would think they had to add something to the rule book for this.

GoatBoy, I think there should be more "punishment" for flopping than just a non-call. But actually calling a foul raises the stakes very high and the refs had better get it right or we could have major problems. Maybe the falling down will stop and defenders will be forced to try and keep their balance when the offensive players runs into them.

For all we know, the NBA has examined mounds of tape and has determined that flopping is easier to figure out than we think. Maybe hands flying up in the air, heads snapping back for no reason, falling down and/or some other observable actions are dead give aways for flopping. Maybe it won't be so hard after all.

14. room4rentsf

room4rentsf Contributing Member

I agree with the earlier post that it should be some type of technical foul (like a 3 sec.)

Team technical then people will be scared to try it.

J

15. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Unless I'm reading this wrong, I think they're saying that it will more often be a non-call, not a defensive foul. It's a bit confused due to his bad grammar. He gives a list of three things and then uses a word, "latter," that is meant to differentiate between only 2 options. He should have said "the last" instead of "the latter."

16. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

Fisher faints.

17. macfan

macfan Contributing Member

I don't think they'll ever call a technical on a flop, because flops are very subjective. Most of the time it's hard to distinguish between a flop and a nonflop. If it was so wasy to recognize a flop, the referees could call it all the time.

I am fine with technicals on flops, but only when it's really obvious. Otherwise it's a judgment call and generally speaking you want the referees to have less impact on the outcome of a game.

18. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

When someone flops, it can be difficult to tell if there really was a foul. But it's not difficult to see the flop. It's simply an emellishment of the harm that was caused. A flop is still a flop even if the flopper is fouled.

So....you call the foul (if you think its warranted) and you also call a technical for the flop. It's a judgement call....but then they all are. After a few calls for the more dramatic flops....players should recognize that if they try to 'help' the ref identify fouls, they'll negate the benefit of the call.

And then the refs will have less of an impact on the game, as they'll be judging the fouls on the basis of the foul, rather than on the overreaction of the guy fouled.

19. micah1j

micah1j Member

Reggie Evans faints too.

20. YallMean

YallMean Member

Mr Stern should put these people in bold on the NBA ref website for the refs to check closely for flopping if he did it to Yao with the moving screen

Dirk
    Fisher
    Manu