1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

LaTroy Hawkins has the best game I’ve seen so far...

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Htown Stros, Jan 19, 2020.

1. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

“I played in the steroid era, I wasn’t complaining what some of those guys were doing,’’ said LaTroy Hawkins, a 21-year veteran who is a special assistant with the Minnesota Twins. “Why are so many people upset? I look at it this way, everybody is trying to do something to gain an advantage. They had the opportunity to use technology. They did. And got caught.”

“Did they take it too far? Sure. People lost their jobs. Some people might have lost their careers. Major League Baseball did a good job sending a message to the rest of the league that it would not be tolerated. They dropped the hammer.’’

“I wish Fiers would have done it when he was on the Astros and not when he left,’’ Hawkins told USA TODAY Sports. “That would have more integrity. You win a World Series with them, go away and now you talk about it? If you had integrity, why didn’t you talk about it while it happened?

“Man, if you want to discuss that with your teammates saying they may be doing something, here’s how we negate that, that’s fine. But to talk to the media about it. It just didn’t feel right to me. I’m different. I grew up in the inner city. You don’t go around snitching on people.”

“You got your ring and playoff check, and now you’re going to drop the dime on guys that were supposed to be your friends.

“I don’t work like that.’’

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/4501282002

2. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

3. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Exactly. Because LH is being real about what goes on in baseball. He knows. You police it yourselves and try to be better.

raining threes, King1 and RustyHarden like this.
  4. SuraGotMadHops

5. Buck Turgidson

I remember ol' @Major and I getting in a huge disagreement about Stros signing LaTroy, back in the day.

He was horrible, had been horrible, all kinds of horrible. Then he goes to the Stros and pitches great, like really great, for the rest of the year, and then for another 5 years or so. I can't explain it either.

6. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

We’ve probably got a super lab where we have a magic potion that stops players from aging and other potions for each attribute...

Kind of like when you create a player on Madden and you can just make players faster and better by increasing their speed rating, strength, etc.

7. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

Also, for anyone who needs a quick response to dumbass haters who know nothing about how baseball works and have never played the game at a high level (i.e. stepped in the box against a guy throwing 88+). Hit them with this video...

“BuT iTs EasZ to hiT whEn u No what’s comIng!!!”

8. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Consummate professional. Should retire as an Astro

Hang that mans jersey in the rafters.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  9. Buck Turgidson

Oh I've brought this up to my NYC buddies....

so they knew he was going to throw a curveball and they still couldn't hit it, huh?

10. Buck Turgidson

msn and Htown Stros like this.
  11. PuzzledFan

PuzzledFan Member

I'm going to like this, then make a new account and like it again.

everyday eddie and Htown Stros like this.
  12. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

What’s their argument? That there was still a 1% chance he’s throwing a FB but the banging trash can scheme had a 100% success rate?

13. Buck Turgidson

TWENTY FOUR STRAIGHT ****ING CURVEBALLS

14. Buck Turgidson

This kills me about the Altuve v Chapman HR too...

everyone in the stadium and watching on TV knew Chapman was going to throw a slider because he had missed with his fastball out of the zone about 10 pitches in a row.

msn likes this.
  15. donkeypunch

Yup. It was nothing but slop from him. He was tired with no control and everything was hitting outside.

16. SemisolidSnake

Not worth arguing with NYC buddies. They can't be wrong or even give an inch. I have one who was thinks he's the number one source on this whole mess in our group. Proclaimed without a shadow of a doubt that Altuve had a buzzer. I started looking at the claims out there and what I could find in here, and it was clear that was a highly-tainted, unevidenced claim at best. They live in a whole other world.

everyday eddie likes this.
  17. Major

Major Member

I don't understand the logic here. Are you saying there's no benefit at all to knowing what pitch is coming? That batters are just idiots for trying to steal signs? That pitchers are dumb for trying to hide signs and trying to deceive batters? That runners on 2nd are dumb for trying to relay signs?

18. msn

msn Member

For me, that's not about disproving anything concerning sign stealing so much as running their failure in their faces.

19. SS0101

SS0101 Member

I think a big part of it is psychological. Not unlike a speedster on 1st who is a threat on every pitch to go. Just another game within the game. Sometimes you want them to know that you know what is coming. Just to mess with them.

20. donkeypunch

Theyre just like cowboys fans. No need to waste your breath.

King1 likes this.