1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Latinos overwhelming dislike the label Latinx: update: Latino Democrats want to ban fake word

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by tinman, Nov 23, 2020.

?

Latinx

1. dumb

39 vote(s)
    92.9%
  2. bueno

3 vote(s)
    7.1%
  1. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

As with the majority of the name changes you mention, they all started as small movements and gained traction. If young female and gay Latinos / Latinas want to all themselves LatinX (which are the ones doing it), that's ok. I don't know who came up with LatinX but I doubt it was a white person. And I am not sure what difference it makes who actually came up with versus who is adopting it. Can you honestly go to a Latina woman who refers to herself as LatinX and tell her, "ya know, you shouldn't call yourself that as it's inappropriate / not fitting since it was developed by people who speak English?" To me it's far more inappropriate to tell people what they can or can not label themselves.

Interestingly enough, In India there was a movement to rename the region and their identity from Indians (which was given by the British) to Bharatiyans. Didn't get traction really as of yet. Should also be noted that people still call Mumbai, Bombay

Point is people can use whatever words they want, and it doesn't have to be one way or the other - there's no officially correct way when something is in transition potentially.

jiggyfly likes this.
  2. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Of course it was white people who created latinX
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latinx

The term was first seen online around 2004. It has later been used in social media by activists, students, and academics who seek to advocate for individuals living on the borderlines of gender identity. Surveys of Hispanic and Latino Americanshave found that most prefer other terms such as Hispanic and Latina/Latino to describe themselves, and that only 2 to 3 percent use Latinx.[1][2] A 2020 Pew Research Center survey found that 23% of U.S. adults who self-identified as Hispanic or Latino were aware of the term Latinx, and that of those, 65% said it should not be used to describe their ethnic group.[2]

3. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

It doesn't say whether it was white people or Latino people who came up with it

4. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Where in that do you see it was created by white people.

5. MexAmercnMoose

*walks in thread, sees white people arguing about some random $hit about another race, instead of worrying about themselves...smh, walks out

jiggyfly, tinman and Buck Turgidson like this.
  6. Buck Turgidson

Istanbul was Constantinople, but that's nobody's business but the Turks.

rocketsjudoka likes this.
  7. tinman

Supporting Member

latin people making up the word latinx is like General Tso created some fried chicken dish

8. malakas

malakas Member

You know this is actually a very interesting thread.
    Language is the basis upon which our world view and thoughts are built and formed. Subconsciously.

My mind like completely blanked out when reading this thread at first. Like I couldn't even comprehend what was the issue. LatinX?
    wtf was that a Latin Xmen?

And then I understood and it hit me..oh right genders.
    Something I take for granted like the sky is blue, but for english speakers is something ..strange?

So I can guarantee that this term was created by people who didn't have Spanish as their native language.
    Because simply to change a term by putting an X in the end wouldn't even cross my mind ..because it violates the basic rules of the language itself.

Richie_Rich likes this.
  9. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

General Tso's Chicken might have been made for white people, but it wasn't made by them.

10. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If they want to be called "Latinx" and I have no problem if someone wants to be called that. It appears that most don't prefer to use that term. The problem though is using that as a default appellation to people of that background if most prefer "Latino" or "Latina". Further if it is something that derived from non-Spanish speakers would seem even less appropriate for non-Spanish speakers to apply that to a a group that is bound together by the Spanish language.

Richie_Rich likes this.
  11. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

General Tso's Chicken was created by Chinese immigrants adapting some traditional Hunan dishes to American palettes. The name "Tso" is also the old transliteration as the name of the general is "Zou" using Pinyin.

There are many dishes that are considered "Chinese" in the US that aren't Chinese at all but creations of Chinese immigrants such as Egg Foo Young, Cream Cheese Wontons, and Chop Suey.

12. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

So what if those non spanish speakers are actually Latin?

I think people are leaning to hard into thinking this term was made by white people.

Sweet Lou 4 2 likes this.
  13. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

How do you know it came from non-Spanish speakers?

Anyway, like I said, it's not really a big deal in my eyes.

jiggyfly likes this.
  14. nacho bidness

nacho bidness Member

It was not invented by white people as far as I can tell but a small group of queer activists has made many white people feel it's usage is preferred by us lol. The whole white people angle I think has to do with the term being pushed in academia. Hating the liberal institutions has practically become a past time.

jiggyfly likes this.
  15. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

To answer both yourself and jiggyfly it’s unlikely that someone who speaks Spanish, or Portuguese, as a primary language came up with that since that would be hard to pronounce using “x” that way. As the Wikipedia article that many are citing notes that and notes that it most likely comes from the use of the term “x” in the American culture as denoting a non specific value.

My understanding of “Latino” as referring to someone from Latin America or descent from is that this is based upon language and not upon race, or ethnicity. As there are white, black, Asian, and indigenous Latinos. If language is a defining characteristic then a term to describe them should fit with the language. Rather than something derived from another language. In this case American English.

Richie_Rich and malakas like this.
  16. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Most Latinos are white people. Who cares?

17. tinman

Supporting Member

18. CometsWin

I haven’t read this thread which is dumb but if I were to guess it was created by someone who at the very least understands Spanish and objects to the way in which Spanish uses an o or an a to refer to people in a group or more specifically using the o or a to identify gender. Latina identifying female and latino identifying male with Latino being the descriptor of a male and female grouping. Having just one male in a group of females causes the entire group to be referred to with an o. So whoever created the term isn’t necessarily white or necessarily not a Spanish speaker just someone who finds the manner in which gender is noted within Spanish to be chauvinist or no longer applicable in a society where gender seems to be an evolving concept. Chauvinism is strong in Latino culture generally so I would think any Latinx movement has a long road ahead. Historically terms change so I don’t find it a big deal though I have never met anyone who uses the term.

#78 CometsWin, Nov 28, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2020
    jiggyfly likes this.
  19. tinman

Supporting Member

So according to my poll it’s 100% that it’s a dumb term

yet we have people who keep yapping it’s a good term

data doesn’t match

just people pretending they know or care for the sake of boredom cause the election is over

kleenX

#79 tinman, Nov 28, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2020
    JumpMan likes this.
  20. CometsWin

Your poll is dumb. Words change. So what?