1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Latest on Dream from the Chronicle

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Jeff, Jan 31, 2001.

1. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Olajuwon backs off Heat talk
    By FRAN BLINEBURY
    Copyright 2001 Houston Chronicle

A contrite Hakeem Olajuwon apologized publicly to Rockets head coach Rudy Tomjanovich Wednesday for remarks that stirred up the latest round of controversy in what has become an often contentious and confusing season for the 17-year veteran.

"Coach, I openly apologize to you," Olajuwon said in a broadcast telephone conversation with the coach during Tomjanovich's weekly radio show on KPRC-AM 950. "Everything about the Rockets' situation has always been (handled) as a family. It was a big shock to me that this has become such a big issue."

At issue were comments published Wednesday in the South Florida Sun-Sentinel and the Miami Herald, where Olajuwon said his goal was to play this season for the Miami Heat and particularly for coach Pat Riley.

"I've considered that very strongly," Olajuwon told the newspapers. "I'd like to at least finish my career where I'd at least be able to play for someone like Coach Riley. He knows how to use big men. He understands the game of big men, at that level. So I'd consider that seriously."

Olajuwon went on to say that the possibility of finishing his career with the Heat was enticing due to the relative weakness of the Eastern Conference and the possibility of reaching the NBA Finals one more time.

"It was just a conversation with two reporters, talking about many different things and I think it was misinterpreted," Olajuwon said later off the air.

"I can't believe this. It's bad. It's terrible. I can't believe what I have done and I can't believe the mistake that I've made.

"What I meant when talking about coach Riley is that he is the man who coached Kareem (Abdul-Jabbar) until the very end of his career at age 42. They won a championship together when Kareem was 40.

"He is obviously a coach who is familiar with the kind of things that an older player can do, especially and older big man. I said before the season began that this may not be my last year in the NBA and if you are thinking about different places, different situations, then playing for coach Riley would have to be something to consider.

"But I never intended in any way to make public statements that were against coach Rudy. I cannot do something like that, not after all that we have been through together.

"Rudy has been my biggest supporter and I love playing for him. We do not always communicate with each other. But I have great respect for him and I think he has always given me respect.

"I don't want anyone to think that there is a lack of respect for my coach or for my team and the way people see me. To be honest, I am not sure I want to go to The Summit (Compaq Center) for the next game (tonight). I'm afraid they will boo me."

Tomjanovich gracefully accepted Olajuwon's apology as another bump in the road of what has been a disappointing 22-23 season for the Rockets.

"I know what kind of person he is," Tomjanovich said. "He is a very considerate person. He cares about other people's feelings, his teammates' feelings. He always tries to do the right thing.

"But I did appreciate his doing it that way. I was not offended. The things he said about Riley, that didn't offend me at all. I didn't take it that way. But I appreciate his efforts to do that publicly.

"Things happen so fast. I just try to win the next game. It sounds like big problems on the floor. The whole thing is blown out of proportion. The reaction is crazy. I'm ready to move on. I've been ready to move on for some time."

This was only the latest chapter in the strange tale of what was supposed to be Olajuwon's triumphant final pass across the NBA stage. But on the eve of the regular season, the 12-time NBA All-Star said he wanted to keep his options open to play another season.

Olajuwon, averaging 10.1 points and 6.2 rebounds a game and shooting 47.7 percent this season, said in a meeting back then Tomjanovich that the Rockets were free to "use" him any way they wanted this season. But after missing 12 games with a cyst on one knee and averaging barely 25 minutes a night, Olajuwon complained about his role on the team, saying he was being ignored. He said he would welcome a trade or his outright release from the team.

There was a meeting with team owner Leslie Alexander on Jan. 24, in which both sides agreed that Olajuwon would commit himself fully to the Rockets for a period of a month or more and see where the team was in the standings at that time before any other moves were considered. The NBA trade deadline is Feb. 22, but with his $16.5 million salary this season, Olajuwon would be virtually impossible to trade. A move would require his being waived in order to sign with another team.

"That is another question entirely," Olajuwon said. "You think about all of the possibilities, about all of the other players who have been traded or signed in other places in their careers and sometimes you wonder what it would be like. Would it be good? Would it be bad? I don't know."

On Jan. 25 Olajuwon had another meeting with Tomjanovich to discuss his role in the offense, his desire to play more, and says he is now content.

"Right now, I want to play for the Rockets. I want to contribute to the Rockets. I believe I still have the ability to contribute and I'm happy with the changes that Rudy has made since our last meeting.

"As for the future, I will leave that open. I don't want to be put in a corner."

A bit of a misleading headline. He only really backed off his comments about Rudy. What's even stranger is that the reporter is Fran Blinebury? The plot thickens...

------------------
    Me fail English? That's unpossible.

2. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

Sounds pretty positive to me. Now lets focus on beating the f*cking sh*t out of the Clippers tomorrow.

------------------
    "Rarely is the question asked: Is our children learning how to put food on their family while being put to death."

3. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

You guys totally took everything he said out of context. Sheez. Dream probably has a ton of conversations w/ reporters everyday that would offend you guys... but sheez, the rage on this board is ridiculous.

------------------
    I keep plugging away, but I just can't get a 3 way to work on realwife.com

4. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

Rudy did great things for Charles Jones when he was 50 and got him a title, Dream needs to Fockass on the Rockets.....

------------------
    CUT Tino
    These Heaves are just getting Ridiculous!

5. bcdjad

bcdjad Member

At this point, I really feel for Rudy T. A couple of years ago, when the Raptors asked about swapping Kevin Willis for Hakeem, the Rockets said "no". If my memory serves me correctly, Rudy was one of the people that didn't want this trade to happen. And now Hakeem has THE NERVE to say that Pat Riley knows how to handle centers!! Rudy is putting up a brave front by saying that statement didn't affect him, but you know it had to! That was a damned cold thing for Hakeem to say.

------------------
    HOUSTON Rockets forever!!

6. Dogbelly

Dogbelly Member

You can call it spin control if you want, but the article, and the quotes therein, sounded pretty positive to me. This really doesn't affect anything. The Rockets were NOT going to trade Dream, so no trades were affected. Really, all he did was, pehaps accidentally, let the cat out of the bag about his being released if the Rockets are out of the playoff picture. Big deal.

Did anyone else like how he called it "The Summit?"

------------------
    Kenny Thomas had a foul called on him in the Western Conference Finals.

7. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I have to agree with Achebe. Hakeem's statements, especially after he tried to clarify everything, don't sound so outrageous to me. I think the board is overreacting a bit.

8. Old School

Old School Member

Overreacting??? You guys are too easy. Hakeem is hearing the backlash from the fans and it trying to turn it around. He doesn't want to look like he is the bad guy in this situation so he's blaming it on "misinterpetation" from the media...typical Hakeem. Why wouldn't he explain that to the Houston media after practice yesterday??

Hakeem was quoted by two Florida newspapers and now he wishes he could take it back. He wants to play for the Heat, bottom line.

Old School

------------------
    I voted YES!

9. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The fact remains that Hakeem didn't retract his statements about how his "goal" was to play with the Heat. That, as well as the Rudy insult, was the biggest blow to me.

Good to see that Hakeem is fockassing on winning with the Rockets.

------------------
    "Of course, everything looks bad if you remember it!"
    Homer Simpson

10. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Anybody that would boo Hakeem needs to be shot.

11. AB

AB Contributing Member

I read the above at least 20 times since last night and its only very few times in my life I had been so SAD!!!!
    Summit Booing HAkeem OLajuwon, The Dream!!!!.... I pray GOD it never happens..

------------------

[This message has been edited by AB (edited February 01, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by AB (edited February 01, 2001).]

12. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Dream has said similiar things before,just not this strong and at a time,when we are on the edge of our seats waiting ,waiting,waiting...in Casablanca..Oops,sorry.The Miami media is probably partially to blame,along with Dream.While what he said bothers me,it should be a blip on the radar screen later.When he came out and told how he was missunderstood or misstated,and cranked out the heartfelt apology(I don't believe it's just spin),I have to say,I for one believe him.Dream knows whatever he says(if it's on the record) is going to eventually be heard by all.I said before"if it's not taken out of context",I'd be shocked and now with everything that's come out I don't feel so bad.He's TRYING to tell those people what they want to hear.Dream was asked direct questions and in his own way tried to sell himself to Miami.I,now think there is no way he meant to intentially slam Rudy.We are a team in a great situation and Olajuwon just doesn't fit in with the Rockets' plans.Yes,Dream's frustrated by his role and is a bit delusional on top of that.The part about him being afraid of being booed in the Summit hurt me bigtime.I'll bet he gets a standing O tonight.He's been a little out of line ,but his legacy definitely stays intact.

------------------

[This message has been edited by hardwood (edited February 01, 2001).]

13. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

As long as he stops whining he won't have to worry about that. Dreams constants whining about complaining about being traded is a distraction.

------------------
    Dream a deadly Dream. . .

14. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Anyone who would write something like that should be shot.

For that matter, anyone who writes ANYTHING should be shot!

And another thing...

BANG!

OWWWWWWWWW...........

------------------
    Me fail English? That's unpossible.

15. Hottoddie

Hottoddie Contributing Member

What Dream needs to do is develop a mean streak on the floor. He's not as quick as he used to be & isn't able to jump like he used to either. He needs to start slamming the ball home & generally be more aggresive on the court. If he'd throw an elbow into Malone's face once in a while, then there is no way the fans would ever boo him. He just needs to take his frustration out on the opposition & get NASTY. If he'd do that, either the Rockets would resign him or other teams would start lining up with acceptable offers for the big guy.

Okay, that probably won't happen, but if he would quit worrying about the offense going through him & focus on just getting rebounds & blocking shots, this team would have a serious chance at making a run at the playoffs. Dream, you can be a big part of the team. You just have to realize that your contribution has to come from the defensive end. Everyone (except you) realizes that all this team needs is a serious rebounder & shot blocker to be a contender.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Hottoddie (edited February 01, 2001).]

16. Dogbelly

Dogbelly Member

Why does everyone make a big deal about Dream not apologizing for saying he would want to play with the Heat this year? Why should he apologize? He apologized because people thought he was dissing Rudy and he cleared the air on that. He should not apologize for something he believes. If this team is not going to make the playoffs, I want Dream to play for the Heat. If Dream is on that team they can make it to the Finals and actually make some noise, and he deserves that. Of course Florida newspapers are goig to hype it up when Dream says he would like to play for their team. He has the right to say that. He shouldn't have to apologize for it.

------------------
    Kenny Thomas had a foul called on him in the Western Conference Finals.

17. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

I agree.

18. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

BOOOoooooo

------------------
    stop posting my damn signature