1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Large used book store

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by G Zus Kryst, Jul 18, 2011.

Tags:
  1. G Zus Kryst

G Zus Kryst Rookie

Where is a larger used book store in Houston? I need to get some info in my art (DJing) without dropping too much ka$h.

2. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Half Price Books. Google map it.

3. G Zus Kryst

G Zus Kryst Rookie

Is that the only option? I heard there was a very large independent one.

4. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Half Price Books is a good store. The one in Rice Village has won local awards for best bookstore in Houston, but I'm not sure if it's the largest one because it's a little cramped in there.

5. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Amazon.com and you can access it from your own house.

6. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

There are at least nine in the Houston area, all have different books. They are 'independent' in that they're a home-grown Texas company. Very down-to earth, hands on.

7. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. what

what Member

Repp'd :grin:

9. theimpossibles1

Hey there little buddy, how are we doing today? Are we being a good boy today? Gooooooood boy. I agree with the guy who said Amazon. I'm sure they have something you will like at a fair price.

Oh and by the way, it's "cash."

10. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

This.

Used book prices @ amazon can be extremely low.

11. ScriboErgoSum

ScriboErgoSum Contributing Member

You can buy used books through Amazon. Often they are a penny with 3.99 shipping charges.

As others have said, Half Price Books can be a good option. Not sure how it works in Houston, but in Seattle, you can call any of the dozen or so stores to see if they have a book and they'll transport it to the store closest to you.

I'd use Amazon to search out some books on the subject by rating and reviews. See what books people really found useful, and then use a combination of Amazon and Half Price Books to track them down cheap.

If you just want to read and not keep the book, the library is also a hell of a resource.

12. TreeRollins

TreeRollins Contributing Member

Kaboom Books is really nice. They just consolidated their 2 locations to one location.

13. G Zus Kryst

G Zus Kryst Rookie

Thanks, but public libraries employ too many r****ds for my liking.

14. theimpossibles1

says the guy who spells jesus christ "g zus kryst" and cash "ka$h"......

[​IMG]

15. G Zus Kryst

G Zus Kryst Rookie

I'm just being honest.

16. theimpossibles1

Alright. Alright, alright, alright, alright...

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/FCjJwZY5fP8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

1 person likes this.
  17. ScriboErgoSum

If you're looking for them to do all of your research for you, then sure they might be underwhelming, but most public big city libraries have capable staffs that will help you locate books on subjects you're looking for and where to find them in that library or city's library system. Especially in the era of budget cuts, the libraries in Seattle have been working even harder to help people and prove their worthiness of receiving tax dollars. I'm not as familiar with the current state of Houston libraries, but you should be able to get minimal help from them.

If you want a cheap option, the library is free.

18. G Zus Kryst

G Zus Kryst Rookie

I am talking about mental r****dation. I wasn't trying to make a joke or anything.

19. ScriboErgoSum

Are you deliberately obtuse?

You do realize that most libraries have a requirement of a degree if not a full masters in Library Science?

Maybe you're right. In an attempt to cut back on money spent on libraries, cities across America are now shoring up their bottom line by hiring mentally handicapped employees.

Doo E Dessimull from Harris County had the following to say about this new approach. "Yeah, it kind of sucks to lose all those folks with Masters in Library Science, but we just couldn't afford them. They're great at finding stuff and all, but if all you have are 4 books, even a moron could locate those. That's when we had our great idea. Let's just hire a bunch of morons. We can pay them less than a dollar an hour, and they won't even know that it's illegal. We're even further helped because there's only a small number of them that can take the short bus to work each day before the bus reaches maximum capacity. It's kind of like letting the inmates run the assylum, but we get to keep a lot of books now and they say some really funny ****"

20. G Zus Kryst

G Zus Kryst Rookie

I really don't know to be honest. I now realize you are the coffee guy who blew up on me before about that rice village roaster. I think you should switch to decaf.