1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Langhi should have gotten more PT

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Glyde22, Apr 10, 2001.

1. Glyde22

Glyde22 Contributing Member

I know we were in the middle of a hunt for a playoff spot, but in hind sight Langhi should have gotten more PT during the season. He clearly has a talent for rebounding(even though he's a little out of control) We could have used this guys hustle a number of times. I say let him start the rest of the season.

------------------

2. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

Its a shame he had to miss that free throw...

------------------
    Hakeem "The Dream" Olajuwon is the greatest player in the history of basketball. If you disagree, you are not a Rocket fan.

3. RockenRam5

RockenRam5 Member

He gives us what SA doesn't, shooting from the outside. Most of his points came on jumpshots when the ball was swung and it ended up in his hands. He showed me something tonight. Maybe if SA doesn't resign, Langhi can move into the starting lineup at the 3

------------------
    "GiddyUP!!!"
    Krammer from Seinfeld

4. Jim1965

Jim1965 Member

I did not see the game. Could somebody please rate Langhi's performance for me?

------------------
    Bob Rainey is my hero!

5. Glyde22

He should add 20 lbs over the summer and then maybe (depending on who we draft) he could challenge for the starting SF spot. Another summer league tour couldn't hurt either (see; Kenny Thomas).

------------------

6. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

does this mean you'd trade Shandon?!

Comments?

7. Glyde22

I like Shandon, but we have to be realistic about his offensive capabilities. Langhi with his shooting ability just would seem to be a better fit. Having said that I think Langhi is still a work in progress, he is nowhere near the defender that Shandon is but I think he has the potential (there is that dreaded word again) to be good with his length and quickness. The SF position on this team is, and will continue to be the most difficult position to fill. Your asking for a guy with excellent medium-long range shooting ability and the size and athleticism to defend the Kevin Garnett's of the league. That is a package that not many players possess. If the do have those skills they could be a marquise player but we would ask them to be the third and possibly forth option on the team.
    Should we get rid of Shandon ? No! but I don't think he should be the starter in our system.

------------------

8. Relativist

Relativist Contributing Member

HP, you've said that we can get by at SF with who we have and I agree. Moochie is almost irreplaceable in my mind. He deserves the significant minutes he's gotten over the course of the year. Between Moochie, Steve, Cuttino, Shandon, and Langhi, I think we can get by for a couple of years. I think Langhi can start eventually, but he's obviously not ready yet. The need for a big man is much more obvious than the need for a SF. All things being equal, I'd rather grab a good center, and let Langhi grow into the SF position or fill it later on. With this in mind, I'd keep Shandon. I think eventually he'll have to go back to the bench, but I don't have problems giving him significant minutes and a significant contract if he and Rudy can work out his role with the team. Shandon wants to run more and maybe post-up 2-guards occasionally. Fine. But Shandon should still work on his shot and be comfortable taking the spot-up 3. I think both Rudy and Shandon want the same thing, but it's going to take some time before the team matures to the point Shandon can be really used effectively.

------------------

9. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Relativist,

I guess what I meant was would you shop Shandon in a trade for a big man.

10. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

If it helps the team even out the team's deficiencies, then yes, Shandon should be traded. By "deficiencies," of course, I mean the 3, 4, or 5. If losing Shandon meant losing Cato, and also helped us improve, then hell, yes.

Not that I was being asked. Nothing against Shandon. But if he or his #$@% agent wants top $$$, then we should say good-bye. He's more suited to 2 anyway, and no longer has that starting job.

------------------

11. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Walt + Cato + Shandon
    for
    Big Country + Shareef

would you do it?

I would in a heartbeat

Rocket River

------------------

12. Band Geek Mobster

damn double post

[This message has been edited by Band Geek Mobster (edited April 11, 2001).]

13. Band Geek Mobster

moving this post to the SA/cato/walt for SAR/Country thread.

[This message has been edited by Band Geek Mobster (edited April 11, 2001).]