1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lakers looking at Drew?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BobFinn*, Sep 13, 2000.

1. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Member

The Lakers are now in the market for a point guard. Bryce Drew would fit nicely on that team. Who could we get from LA for him?

Lakers' Fisher may be sidelined for three months
    Los Angeles, CA (Sports Network) - Los Angeles Lakers reserve guard Derek Fisher has an injured right ankle that could sideline him for three months or longer.

An MRI on Tuesday diagnosed the injury as a stress fracture. It is not known how the injury occurred.

Fisher planned to get a second opinion from doctors in Little Rock in his home state of Arkansas.

The fourth-year pro averaged 6.3 points and 2.8 assists per game last season. He averaged 23.1 minutes in 78 games.

The world champion Lakers open the season October 31 at Portland.

09/13 21:56:54 ET

------------------
    In order to be a success in life, you need 2 things:
    1. Don't tell everything you know.

[This message has been edited by BobFinn* (edited September 13, 2000).]

2. The Cat

The Cat Member

I wouldn't mind having Devean George from the Lakers. He has the potential to be a nice backup SF in the NBA I think- he showed some promise last year. Other than him I can't think of anyone. The Lakers don't exactly have much of anyone worth trading for outside of a select few.

------------------
    Looking for next year's Dan Langhi? Draftsource.net
    ClutchTown.com

4th Friday of August= Rocket Day
    1999-Steve Francis
    2000-Maurice Taylor

3. Mango

Mango Member

Not likely.

Mango

------------------
    1. Put new topics in the proper forum.
    Things happening in the rest of the NBA
    2. Use clear wording for new threads.
    3. No duplicate threads
    4. Conduct yourself as an adult.
    The Serious Police are watching.
    Donate Blood or be assimilated!

4. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Member

Only if Horry wasnt getting 5-6 million...

------------------
    Fun Police Says:

1. Stupid threads are not FUN!
    2. Spelling, grammar, punctuation and sentence structure are not FUN!
    3. Stupid BBS names are not FUN!
    4. Conduct yourself in a FUN way!

The Fun Police are Watching.
    Vote for the Rockets & Have FUN or be Assimilated.

5. Francis3

Francis3 Member

Laker Cheerleader for Drew? Do the salarys matchup?

------------------
    "I talked about what degenerates they [Mets fans] were, and they proved me right. Just by saying something, I could make them mad enough to go home and slap their moms."

John Rocker

[This message has been edited by Francis3 (edited September 13, 2000).]

6. vj23k

vj23k Member

Drew+someone(salary cap reasons) for horry. who knows bringing him back to his championship city might get him back like he used to play [​IMG]

7. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

What about a Laker Cheerleader and Horry?

8. Francis3

Francis3 Member

No I checked on realgm.com and it didnt work. [​IMG]

------------------
    "I talked about what degenerates they [Mets fans] were, and they proved me right. Just by saying something, I could make them mad enough to go home and slap their moms."

John Rocker

9. NewGuy

NewGuy Guest

Los and Drew for Horry works capwise, and it does fit the Lakers two needs.

But Horry is their starting 4 until/unless they land someone else for Rice.
    ------------------

[This message has been edited by NewGuy (edited September 13, 2000).]

10. KALIKULI

KALIKULI Member

Travis Knight might be a good fit, the man can't perform well in fakers uniform anyway. Besides he can play in center position and can be a good backup. Who knows could be the injury prone next season. Hmmm? let me guess? The Dream or Cato!

------------------
    Rudy T. will find and fulfill Rockets destiny.

11. Swopa

Swopa Member

Mango has this one nailed.

Why does anyone think for a second the Lakers would want Drew for free, much less give up anything for him?

1. Phil Jackson is famous for not liking small guards. He's probably celebrating right now because he can ignore Fisher by putting him on IR.

2. The Lakers already have John Celestand (who played well in the L.A. summer league) and Tyronn Lue as young PGs who don't get any minutes. So Drew would be 4th string at best.

Just judging from my limited personal experience (seeing the Rockets play the Warriors), Drew has a long, long way to go to be a useful PG for anyone in this league. In one of the games, rookie Vonteego Cummings was taking advantage of him repeatedly, leading an injured Chris Mills (who was doing radio commentary) to say, "V's eyes look like cantaloupes out there."

------------------

12. DaryleWard

DaryleWard Member

I hope that was just a question BobFinn*.
    The Lakers would not be looking at Drew to "fulfill" there needs. There are a lot of other mediocre white back up point guards in this league that are better than Drew. Though it would be nice to get Horry back over here. I see a lot of posts on here giving inate trade rumors that benefit only one side, the Rockets. Think before you post your biased propaganda.

------------------
    There is two two types of people in the world: those who finish their sentences,

[This message has been edited by DaryleWard (edited September 13, 2000).]

13. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Member

Ward, stick to baseball, as you obviously can't read worth a f**k.

Where in my post did I say Drew for anybody? I merely asked the question. If you would get your head out of your ass and learn to play defense, you might be of value to someone.

Man that felt good [​IMG]

------------------

14. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Member

Steve Kerr ring any bells?

------------------

[This message has been edited by BobFinn* (edited September 13, 2000).]

15. GATER

GATER Member

Swopa,

Drew only played 9 minutes in the game you are referring to. The Rocks starting lineup was Walt Williams, Pig Miller, Bullard, Steve, and Shandon. Dream played 16 minutes with 1 block and Cato did not dress.

This was the only game of the 4 GS won and was hardly indicative of any Rockets abilities. If you take the other 3 games, Drew was as productive as Vonteego on a per minute basis (11.6 ppg to 10.9 ppg based on 30 min).

Please find another comparison for your Drew bashing.

------------------
    GATER

16. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Member

Damn it I want Horry.

Hakeem
    Maurice
    Horry
    Shandon
    Francis

Moochie
    Mobley
    Langhi
    Kenny
    Cato

Pretty bad ASS huh?

Im just pretending we dont have Walt [​IMG] Nah...I actually like Walt. Only if we could trade Collier, and Drew for Horry.

------------------
    Fun Police Says:

1. Stupid threads are not FUN!
    2. Spelling, grammar, punctuation and sentence structure are not FUN!
    3. Stupid BBS names are not FUN!
    4. Conduct yourself in a FUN way!

The Fun Police are Watching.
    Vote for the Rockets & Have FUN or be Assimilated.

17. Gascon

Gascon Member

I gotta go with Mango. Not likely.

It'd be nice. I think the Lakers are a dead-end, though.

------------------
    Sometimes I think I'd be better off dead.

No, wait, not me...you.

18. Swopa

Swopa Member

I applaud you for supporting your team's player ... but let's be serious, shall we? To come up with your "similar" comparison, you had to drop Vonteego's best game (in which he scored 23 points in 26 minutes) -- do you know what happens to Drew's numbers if you do the same to him? Here's what you get: A total of 24 minutes and 2 points on 1-for-9 shooting over three games. Ugly.

You also had to scale up Drew's minutes dramatically, because he only averaged 10.5 minutes in all four games. And because his shooting percentage was so poor (even leaving out his worst game!), he'd need 15 or 16 shots per game to get the 10.9 ppg you project.

Minus all the statistical manipulations, here are what the two players really averaged in the GS-HOU matchups:

Bryce Drew -- 10.5 minutes per game, 3.0 ppg on 26.3% shooting
    Vonteego Cummings -- 23.5 minutes per game, 12.3 ppg on 48.7% shooting

Interestingly, in Drew's best game of the four, he shot 4-for-10 from the field . . . which is exactly what Vonteego shot in his worst shooting game of the four. 'Nuff said.

It breaks my heart, of course, to read how short-handed the Rockets were in the game the Warriors won. Are you aware that GS only had 8 players available for that game (with Dampier, Starks, Mills, and Terry Cummings all injured)? That they started Sam Jacobson (who's now out of the league) at SG? The Warriors were missing four players from their 10-man rotation in every game against the Rockets this past year except the first one, in which all three injured players were starters (Dampier, Caffey, Blaylock).

Sorry for the overkill, but you asked for it. [​IMG]

------------------

19. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

Daryl Ward hit two home runs against the Expos a couple of weeks ago.

20. Rocketsauce

Rocketsauce Member

There is NO WAY in hell that Horry is coming back here. He's lazy. Rudy hates him. Calvin Murphy would attack with the T-shirt cannon. The Rockets cutting Steve Francis would happen before they would think of letting Horry back in the hometeam locker room.

Now my second point. Why would anyone want Horry? He doesn't play SF or PF very well. His offense is total garbage, and his defense his about as strong as Walt's. Just because the Rocks won a championship w/ him doesn't mean that bringing him back is a good idea (see Vernon Maxwell).

------------------
    "Stranger things have happened, but none stranger than this" - Commentator after a parachutist landed in the ring of a Holyfield fight