1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Knowing what we know now, would you still make the Russ trade?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Dash, Aug 6, 2020.

?

Knowing what we know now, would you still make the Russ trade?

1. Yes

62.2%
  2. No

37.8%
  1. Dash

Dash Member

As awesome Russ has been, I can't be the only one who misses the hell out of Chris Paul and people are not going to see the significance of losing him until the playoffs. CP was always clutch in the playoffs and carried this team in our series vs. the Jazz and most of the Warriors series. I don't trust Westbrook's decision making and it will be harder for him to score in the playoffs. This is no knock on Westbrook as a Rocket since he has exceeded expectations but more of an appreciation of CP's dominance in the playoffs and this is the healthiest he's been in his career.

ronclone and Little Bit like this.
  2. CK Johnson

CK Johnson Member

Hell naw.

pr0wler and ThatBoyNick like this.
  3. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

U answer your own question lol....i voted yes btw.

Now to you. How can you make this poll without the playoffs being played yet lol. I disagree with your Notion its a forgone conclusion cp3 will be better in these playoffs then russ lol.

You don't know that. In fact I xan say the exact same. After these playoffs u will see russ is better lol. Its no way to know that until we know that...which can only happen after the playoffs. Okc could get swept for all we know

4. Nelly

Nelly Contributing Member

CP3 gets hurt every playoffs

5. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

Every player in this world has strengths and weaknesses. I dont trust cp3s ability to finish a whole season n playoffs.

Russ can't shot 3s like cp3.
    Cp3 can attack the rim like russ.
    Russ can Dominate a game by his aggression(rebounding,pace)
    Cp3 can dominate a game by his control n savvy

You see where I'm going.

40 points is 40 points to me. One guy can shoot 3s like curry to do it....one guy can attack like giannis to get it.

GradyMcTracy, Corrosion and D-rock like this.
  6. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Dude this was broken relationship
    Considering we got an all star back is amazing

7. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

CP3 is the purest form of point guard and one of my favorite players ever (had mad respect for him in his LAC days and liked his game here). I always hated Russ but I’ve grown to like him because he’s fun to watch on the fast break when he’s playing for your team. I’d still rather have CP3 because his basketball IQ is among the highest in NBA history even if Russ has a more durable body

joshuaao and daywalker02 like this.
  8. D-rock

D-rock Member

When the Jimmy Butler trade went south (would have meant losing Clint too), the Russ trade made too much sense.

This story has yet to be completed.

Corrosion, amaru, Sanctity and 4 others like this.
  9. icewill36

icewill36 Member

he carried us in the warriors series ? oh you mean first year chris paul, because last year he only showed up in game 6. he literally didnt do **** the rest of the series. if he had he would not have been traded because we would not have lost the series....in fact we would not have even been in that series because we would have been the two seed. denver would not have been able to screw us. he didnt look anything like the player you are seeing this year.

cp3 also got a better version of EGo. people really are not realizing how much him sucking affects us. if we had a good version Ego on this team, with this pace, its a completely different team. I love cp3 but he dislike the slow tempo. it always felt like we were playing in mud especially year 2. russ allows us to switch gears and I think that helps our role players.

if I knew cp3 would play this well this year then of course you keep him, but we had no reason to think that is what was going to happen. maybe he is only playing like this BECAUSE he got traded. he changed up his workout and diet and it obviously lit a fire under him. he didnt do the same for us after year 1.

10. JW86

JW86 Member

I don’t get the hindsight love for CP3 and revisionist history. Aside from the injury history, he was far from perfect and it was a total team effort why we were so successful in 2018. In 2019 he was part of the issues internally and didn’t deliver in the playoffs. Plus I never liked his Napoleon syndrome ass, yapping at the refs and whining with flopping to boot. I’ll take Westbrook any day and would do that trade 100% of the time!

I was excited though sceptical at first, but like I pointed out in a thread I started months ago, Westbrook wins you games that CP3 doesn’t. CP3 is too similar to Harden, methodical and while he’s a great player, I rarely saw the leadership I expected though that’s definitely attributable to Harden as well since he didn’t like CP3’s approach and therefore no unity.

Theking, Corrosion, D-rock and 2 others like this.
  11. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

Chris Paul is awesome and I loved having him here, but I'd make that trade any day.

There are actually several reasons I'd do it, but I'll just mention the one that matters most to me by paraphrasing an old NBA maxim: You can't teach intensity.

12. gogispade

gogispade Member

i think team of Harden, CP, Capela would be more dangerous as this one.

Hell, 2018 roster was one of my favorite Rockets lineup.

13. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

#TeamCP3

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We would be NBA Champions right now if it wasn't for a hamstring injury.

14. oogie boogie

oogie boogie Member

Well, Westbrook is better than Chris Paul today simply because Westbrook can give you anywhere from 25-45 points which is truly invaluable. James Harden NEEDS that type of player in an era where he gets double teamed. Chris Paul's value is really his basketball IQ and his playmaking abilities. The Rockets are still a top 3 offensive team without Chris Paul. Taking the guy who can give you 25+ points over the guy who likely will only get you 20 is a no brainer. Yes, CP3 is a better shooter, and his mid range jumper is cash. Still think I'll live and die with Russ over CP3.

Now. The real question is: Would the Rockets go all in with CP3/Harden like they did with Russ/James? What I mean by this is all those draft picks that were traded. Could two of those draft picks used on the CP3/Russ trade be used on Robert Covington without Clint Capela needing to be traded? I think we all know a big reason why Clint was traded was to open up the floor for Russ, but if Clint still gets traded anyways for small ball then I am going to say NO to keeping CP3. If Clint stays and Robert Covington comes along then you'll definitely make me think about how a CP3/Harden/Cov/Tuck/Capela/Rivers/Gordon/House team. That's an 8-man rotation already. Just need two more legit role players.

Too much hypotheticals in a keeping CP3 world. I need a guarantee that Houston gets Rob mid-season, and that Capela stays healthy. That McLemore chooses Houston despite no Westbrook. That Jeff Green comes to the Rockets late in the season and still plays well. Those would be my conditions. Otherwise I'm perfectly content in the Westbrook trade. I don't see a better or equal alternative, and honestly I'd still say no. I think Westbrook's scoring is needed more than anything after knowing that Harden traumatized NBA defenses around the league. Harden needs Westbrook.

Houston isn't a perfect team, but really which team in the NBA currently is? I think the Bucks are close to perfection if their coach (and Khris) realize that Middleton could average 25 a night and be Giannis' superstar wing instead of his all-star robin. (Seriously, there's no reason why Middleton shouldnt be taking 20 shots a game.) But Clippers/Lakers/Rockets are all pretty flawed but in different ways. I think Clippers are lacking a true play maker which isn't too bad, Lakers lack legitimate depth which is bad, and Houston just can't rebound which can go either way depending on the shooting that night. If Houston kept CP3 then the flaw would be Harden not having a guy to score 25+ which is absolutely needed because Harden gets doubled every single play.

D-rock, BeBreezy, Jayzers_100 and 2 others like this.
  15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

CP3 back to LAC for buncha contracts and Shai Gilgeous.

Toss in Eric Gordon for Gallinari.

Eric Gordon for Michael Porter jr. and a poison contract.

16. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

“Knowing what we know now”.... we don’t know anything yet. This trade was for the playoffs, not the regular season.

mike2k132, BeBreezy and D-rock like this.
  17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Given the Rockets medical bad luck, he might not with OKC.....

18. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

So far, no, but I still want to see what happens in the playoffs. It's clear that CP3 has been better than WB this season in terms of overall impact. All of CP3's advanced stats (VORP, BPM, WS/48) are superior to WBs. WB does win in the counting stats which is something I guess.

i would have used a couple of those picks to get Covington and keep the current team.

It's really annoying how CP3 was a complete bum last season and turned it around this season. Last season WB was better... oh well.

joshuaao and Easy like this.
  19. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

We know that Chris Paul and James Harden didn't like each other.

forchette49 likes this.
  20. J.R.

J.R. Member

No, I don't miss Chris Paul.
    Rockets gave up a lot to get Chris Paul.
    Rockets gave up a lot to get rid of Chris Paul.
    Rockets couldn't give away Chris Paul if they wanted to.
    50 missed games, including two important playoff games. (24 reg. season games x2 + 2 PO)
    If he took his body/diet/exercise as serious as he's allegedly doing in OKC, maybe he'd still be here.

At the same time, no I don't give away 4 firsts for Russell Westbrook. (even if two are swaps)
    As much as I love his intensity and his all out and ferociousness, he couldn't win with Kevin Durant, couldn't win with Victor Oladipo, couldn't win with Paul George, and now he's suddenly gonna win with James Harden?? OK, we'll see... Durant & George got the hell up outta there. No I don't want to & can't play/win with this guy.

And when his athleticism declines/is gone?

He's the antithesis of everything the Rockets want to do or like to do or preach.

Like the "rebuilding" Thunder have the same record as the Rockets.
    That's kinda sad TBH.
    Again, 4 picks worthy?

^^^That's crazy. That's terrible. That's awful. All for a 1st/2nd round exit?

But anything to appease your star player and star owner, right?

That said, I'm (been) over CP3. I don't miss CP3. I don't root for CP3 or the Thunder. But we still have a lot of CP3 fanboys that can't let go.

#20 J.R., Aug 6, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2020
    Corrosion, D-rock, jim1961 and 2 others like this.