1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kings trying to close 3yr deal with Joerger (UPDATE: Joerger to Kings)

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by ISOBall, May 8, 2016.

1. ISOBall

ISOBall Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Dave Joerger's meeting w/Kings Sun (<a href="https://twitter.com/ESPNSteinLine">@ESPNSteinLine</a> 1st) seems mere formality. Sac wants to finish w/others but hearing 3/$12M on horizon.</p>&mdash; David Aldridge (@daldridgetnt) <a href="https://twitter.com/daldridgetnt/status/729153455957282816">May 8, 2016</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

1 down 1 to go. Knicks need to push hard for Vogel

2. malakas

malakas Member

Damn. We are too slow with our 15 interview process. And good coaches are already being taken while we waste time with del negro and dantoni.

3. i3artow i3aller

4. HayesIsBack

HayesIsBack Member

While big name coaches get $8-10m/yr

Somebody that actually got incredible results out of an injury depleted roster is virtually begging for $4m/yr

5. OTMax

OTMax Member

Crazy he's so undervalued

6. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

He's been trying to get out of Memphis for years. Terrible place for a coach to be. So his solution is to go to SACRAMENTO? Lulz. Get a clue, man.

7. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I'm not one of these fools who came out of the woodwork to kick Morey while he's down (which, of course, to those same fools means that I worship the guy, right?), but other teams are jumping to get their choices for coach.

Just what is going on here? Was JVG the choice all along and all these interviews are just a cover to make it look otherwise?

8. Vivi

Vivi Member

This situation is starting to be strange though (in my view at least)...the Rockets seems really too slow in the process, probably something big is really happening.

9. Vivi

Vivi Member

That's also very strange.

10. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

If Joerger takes the Kings job, that means the Rockets passed on him and I will be disappointed in that. Joerger feels like a Morey type of coach, if Rockets passed that means Les doesnt want him.

11. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

You guys say that Morey has been slow to react, but all sources indicate that he jumped at Vogel as soon as the opportunity presented itself.

The same situation happened between the Kings and Joerger. The difference is that Joerger, apparently, already wanted to go to the Kings, so it's more like the Lakers-Walton situation.

No harm done.

As long as we snatch Vogel, JVG or even Messina, there's no reason to get upset

-------

As for the Kings: they should thank the basketball Gods that such a solid coach fell into their laps after they **** the bed with Mike Malone

12. hvic

hvic Member

as long as we get a better coach than JBB and Mchale then I will be happy

13. waytookrzy079

waytookrzy079 Member

Joerger will be fired at the end of the year after finishing 9th with the Kings first winning record after a decade because they didnt win a championship.

14. thedude077

thedude077 Member

Good, Maury should give him a better deal like a 5 year deal.

15. htown1984

htown1984 Member

Morey cant even get a sit down interview with the guy- or anyone else of importance:

But he sure as hell can get n interview with the likes of Sam Cassell, Finch, silas, and Hornacek

16. rockets13champs

If give joerger 20/4 or 25/5 He deserves atleast same at walton

17. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Only 4 mil a year? Morey and Les should've offered 5. They gave McHale 4 1/2 a year in his extension.

I swear if we miss out on Vogel, Joerger, AND JVG, they may as well go into tank mode for 2-3 years.

18. J.R.

J.R. Member

Ronald Tillery(Grizzlies beat writer):

Does [Dave] have the job in Sacramento?

When you talk to people close to Vlade, he doesn't have an itchy trigger finger and his top choice is actually Messina. He's inclined to wait to see what happens with Terry Stotts & Dwane Casey. That's not a slam dunk at all.

Memphis is in a position where dominoes have to fall. They just can't go name their guy. I'm not convinced they have someone waiting to be signed today.

Best fit for what the Grizzlies have personnel wise?

I know everyone likes Vogel but not a strong personality. Dave on steroids. Not a leader of men. You gotta be able to confront. Lionel battled with Zach. Coaching Marc wasn't a walk in the park. Tony was Tony. ... They need a stronger personality. Marc is the future. Anyone can coach Mike Conley. He's the guy you want to meet your daughter. They'll have more younger guys on the roster. It's about holding everyone accountable & confronting & discipline. ... Grizzlies are about to go a different direction. Joerger inherited a team of all-stars. I'll say what the fans want to hear: Get over yourselves and put the band back together. (Lionel Hollins) Brooklyn already paid his moving expenses.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">While it appears Kings are set to hire Dave Joerger as new head coach, GM Vlade Divac just said Joerger one of 3 finalists. Resolution soon.</p>&mdash; Ailene Voisin (@ailene_voisin) <a href="https://twitter.com/ailene_voisin/status/729549171439460352">May 9, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Marc and Mike in particular never got on board with Joerger's preferred style. After 3 years. That is a problem.</p>&mdash; Peter Edmiston (@peteredmiston) <a href="https://twitter.com/peteredmiston/status/728962657374478336">May 7, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

19. Oracle

Oracle Member

That's funny. I wonder who the two others are, because no other candidate got such a festival on entry and I don't even know who got interviewed.

20. Vivi

Vivi Member

I think it's credible that Vlade likes Messina since they're both from fiba, but i don't think Messina will touch the Kings, too risky for his first coaching job in the nba...maybe.

I'm curious to know those two names, probably someone like Vinny and Hornacek...i'm still shocked that a coach with a good name like Joerger is interested in coaching that mess.