1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kings considering Okafor

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by worzel gummidge, Nov 14, 2009.

1. worzel gummidge

http://www.sacbee.com/static/weblogs/sports/kings/archives/2009/11/kings-consideri.html

2. ToyCen428

ToyCen428 Member

Hornets messed up big time. The CP3/Chandler duo was a nice 1-2 PUNCH that you don't find too often in the NBA. I was about to say though, if the Kings trade Spencer Hawes for Okafor they are out of their minds. I'd love to have Spencer as a Rocket.

3. worzel gummidge

The article says Kenny Thomas not Spencer Hawes.

Such a move also opens up minutes or the starting position for Hilton Armstrong. This could be Shinn saying you drafted now use him or Bowers truly believing in Armstrong.

4. jopatmc

jopatmc Member

I'm calling bull on this. Sac is losing money and wanting to dump salary. Why do they do that deal?

5. Francis 4 ever

bad news for the rockets

6. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

Okafor is good player but is overpaid.

7. worzel gummidge

They sense the playoffs is an attainable goal this season? Along with filling in seats in the regular season. I've read that a single playoff game is worth at least a $1M profit to each franchise.

8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Tmac for him...come on Morey, get r done.

DD

9. Honey Bear

Honey Bear Member

The Kings have quietly done a good job drafting players over the last 3 years:

Spencer Hawes
    Jason Thompson
    Tyreke Evans

Hawes can be viewed as a defensive liability so they might be looking to add an established big man to patrol the paint, which Okafor is capable of doing. This trade could spell the end of the one-dimensional Martin as a King, since Evans looks very comfortable playing the 2 spot... and Garcia is on their injured reserve. Okafor might be overpaid but he's a 'consummate professional' and prioritizes defense... I don't think Sacramento views his salary as a burden since they will be right at the $52 million mark with a relatively full roster next season if they trade for him.

10. ceonwuka

ceonwuka Member

What about Kevin Martin for Okafor? Evans looks great as a SG, making Martin obsolete. CP3 could definitely use the scoring help.

11. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Member

I call BS on this too. If the Hornets do this trade, they might as well start fielding offers for David West and Chris Paul. Trading Okafor away makes them a donut team and that's not going to work in the West.

But if this trade WERE to go down, kudos to the Kings. Bringing in Okafor gives Thompson a defensive safety net and lets him roam all over.

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Seriously if they are looking to get out of financial trouble this is precisely the kinds of deal that Morey should be looking at....

Adding Okafor would make this Rocket team a LOT more complete.

DD

13. larsv8

larsv8 Member

Can we somehow snag Kmart and Okafor outta this :D

14. worzel gummidge

Rockets and Hornets are both around $3.2M over the tax. Rockets would at the very least be doubling up their tax money to get Emeka.

Still Morey could try to slide in into a three way...

A trade scenario I posted in the random trade thread:
    http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showpost.php?p=4880010&postcount=40

15. meh

meh Member

The problem is that Okafor has a long contract. I could see this if he had 1-2 years left. But playoffs isn't worth potential 5 years worth of payout.

16. HTown_TMac

HTown_TMac Member

5 Years is a long time, but imagine Okafor and Yao together

17. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

It might be that Houston could use the opportunity to get under the tax level and provide New Orleans with 'false tax relief'.

McGrady (23m) for Okafur(10) and Peterson (6)

All told the Rockets shed around 6.5m in salary.
    The Hornets might pick up the extra 7m, effectively costing them $14million more, however we can send them $3m in 'cash considerations' and they also shed 16million more in salaries for next season.
    That gets them under the tax for next season, (and also ditches $39million more owed to Okafur) and who knows? McGrady might actually be able to play at some level going forward, giving them some serious marketablility if they resign him for the future.
    I would think that Paul+McGrady = full stadiums.

Not sure what I think about this 'potential deal' from Houston's point of view though...

18. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Member

I could see, say, the Rockets getting in on the Okafor action. Some "trade a trois", if you will. The Rockets are financially sound. Sacramento wants to dump money, don't they? Unless they suddenly think, Hey, look at our success, maybe we should upgrade now.

Okafor does have one hefty price tag, though.

19. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Member
    Supporting Member

You are right...

Kevin Martin+Kenny Thomas for Tracy McGrady

=

Kevin Martin and Emeka Okafor...

This makes a LOT of sense fellas...

20. saleem

saleem Member

If Sac can get Emeka for KT,they could use Kevin Martin in another trade instead of helping CP3 out. I doubt if this is going to happen.