1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Key developments this year and next

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rileydog, Nov 8, 2004.

1. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

I admit that much of this is colored by how impressed I am with Tmac. He is just a sensational player. But that just underscores the skill set and chemistry that he and Yao have and should continue to develop, and the vast potential of this team.

1. By the end of next year, the contracts of Boki, Lue, Bowen, Padgett, Mutumbo, JJax and 'Spoon will be up. Our front office needs a Gerry Hunsicker type performance. Will CD and Van Gundy find our Mike Lamb or Brandon Backe? The opportunity will be there.

2. Tmac and Yao are hitting their primes. These are years 3 and 4 for Yao. Time enough to adjust to NBA style of play. Time to average 20/10.

3. In the next 2 years, we'll gaining ground on the rest of the Western Conference. SA will remain top flight. Minny will be on the decline with Cassell and Sprewell getting older. SAC is on a steady decline and is not a legitimate championship threat. Utah is on the rise and is scary. Memphis, Dallas, Phoenix, LA have players, but not enough star power to truly contend. They are all treading water as the Rockets swim ahead.

4. These are years 2 and 3 for Van Gundy. This year, we need to make it to Round 2. Next year, we need to make it to the WCF. If not, it could be time for him to go. In his own words, Van Gundy must prove himself. Les cannot afford to waste prime years of Tmac and Yao's careers. So far, I think he is doing a good job of using Tmac properly.

Finally, a question. if it were possible, would you replace Van Gundy with Rudy T, Phillip or Jerry Sloan?

I'd pick sloan but I can't help wondering if Rudy would be a good coach for a Tmac/Yao combo (as opposed to the Francis/Mobley regime).

2. YallMean

YallMean Member

We need a good PG, and PF then we will be all set for the next Champion.

3. rich_argh

rich_argh Member

losing mutombo and jjax will hurt us

i would definitely replace jvg with jerry or phillip or rudy

yao will never average more than 20/10

we need one more third person quality guy to replace jjax, one that can shoot three pointers, and will have a good relationship with tmac and yao offcourt

i personally want to keep mo taylor, he looks like he gets along with everyone on the team

i want to get rid of weatherspoon, bowen, lue, and pad(just cause hes not contributing)

everything else is perfect

4. YallMean

YallMean Member

Who's Phillip?

5. Mr Boo

Mr Boo Contributing Member

Phil Jackson

6. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

As I notice in the last game
    When Tmac is running the show. . . Yao Fades
    When Yao is running the show . . .Tmac Fades

I think this is OK.
    I prefer Yao get us started and Tmac take us home
    [I worry about Yao's energy down the stretch]

As long as we have shooters
    [the thing I been screaming for . .FOR OVER 4 SEASONS]
    we will be ok

Rocket River

7. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

I noticed that too. I hope it's just a matter of them still learning how to play off of each other. When Yao has the ball in the post, I'd really like to see some more movement out of T-Mac. He can catch and shoot, and his finishing skills are incredible. With Yao's passing ability, this could be a huge weapon for us and discourage teams from double-teaming Yao.

8. edc

edc Contributing Member

The first two, absolutely, "in a New York minute."

Sloan? Probably, but it would require a little thought.

9. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

I would take Jerry Sloan over anybody.

10. clove

clove Contributing Member

I would also love to have Sloan.

I'll even take Ak47 and Arroyo too just to sweeten the deal for utah.:D

11. Relativist

Relativist Contributing Member

Phil Jax is the only one I'd be adamantly opposed to.

I think we'll pick up our primary point guard next year. Daniels or McInnis will likely be free agents.

The big question marks will be the two forward spots. I can see JVG trading for Kurt Thomas as early as this season, but past that, I have no idea.

12. ty185

ty185 Member

I second that :D

13. daoshi

daoshi Contributing Member

I believe we'll see the slow but steady improvement from the Rockets this year, and the next. 50 wins should be a reasonable expectation for this season, 55 wins & deep into playoff next year is what most people expected. If the Rockets fail to reach those goals, I don't think JVG will be allowed to stick around.

To replace him, you have to go with PJ just because he has done so many times with his two top dogs. Give him two years, the Rockets will be in the final.

14. prlen

prlen Member

Wow!Barkley is rich.

15. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

I second that whole-heartedly ... I don't want any of that Zen crap in Houston ... I love the Rockets, but he is one of the few people along with Karl Malone that I would consistently boo no matter how well they did in the Rockets organization.

16. waelhakmeh

waelhakmeh Member

i don't know, envisaging sloan teaching yao and tmac how to play dirty and get away with it sends chills down my spine :mad:

17. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

yeah since when have we advocated Sloan and his teaching bear-hugging-at-end-of-game tactics? And everything else that goes with that? Apparently, *everyone* really is jumping on the Jazz bandwagon now...geez

18. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Forreal
    Actually none of Sloans teams have the 5th gear
    that little bit of EXTRA that shows up in playoffs

the Jazz are Ultra efficient
    The Jazz team u see in January
    is the Jazz team u see in May

when every other Team Kicks it up a notch
    the jazz DO NOT because they are already
    at there peek .. . .
    Sloan will make u a 60 win team
    but not a championship team

Gimmie Phil, Rudy, anyone
    Sloan does not seem to RALLY the troops
    come playoff time

Rocket River

19. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

I've always hated the jazzholes, but have always respected sloan for his ability to get the most out of his players. Utah's playoff failures were because they lost to better teams.

20. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

I agree... it's sickening.