1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kevin Willis on the Trading Block?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JuanValdez, Feb 19, 2002.

1. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Member

Marc Stein says: "Houston is willing to move Kevin Willis to a playoff contender – and the Mavericks had interest earlier in the season – but only in exchange for a player in the last year of his contract."

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/columnists/mstein/stories/19nbashoot.c1b8c.html

If he is being shopped, it'd seem to me it's for his own sake. Willis is in the last year of his contract, so we won't really get anything by trading for a different player in the last year of his contract -- unless a pick comes along with him.

2. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Member

How much does Willis make? Maybe Walt and Willis for Oakley? Not that this makes too much sense for us. I would be surprised to see the Rox make any deal.

3. krosfyah

krosfyah Member

If New York can't pull off another deal, they might be interested in swinging something with us because they desperately need size to make their playoff run.

But I'm not sure if we could make a mutual agreement that satisfies both sides.

4. outlaw

outlaw Member

Kevin Willis + our #1 pick to the Clippers for Lamar Odom?

If there were any stud SFs in the draft I'd be hesitant to give our pick away but I don't see any.

Kevin could really help LA in the playoffs as a backup to Brand and Kandi. Especially if they face Shaq in the first round.

Lamar can sit out the rest of this season trying to heal up his wrist and ankle.

This would also give Collier a chance to show something.

5. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Member

On Chicago: I will point out that Stein specifically wrote 'playoff contender'. I think the idea is to make a trade so that Willis would have an opportunity to contribute to a playoff run. I don't think the Rocks are just trying to unload him. Of course, if he helps you get Odom, you got to do it.

6. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Member

Yeah in our wildest dreams. Our pick probably wont be better then #9 or something. So we are basically trading a over the hill player and not such a high pick for a superstar? Then again Sterling is a cheapskate so he might do it.

7. outlaw

outlaw Member

well the Clippers are desperate to make the playoffs and they are tied for the 9th seed right now with the Suns and only 2 games behind Seattle for #8. Odom is out for 6 weeks with the ankle so he can't help them. Kevin would be very useful for them with his veteran experience and big body.

8. Hottoddie

Hottoddie Member

I was under the impression that the Rockets would resign Willis to keep tutoring Cato. However, I would like to see them trade Walt & not just let his salary drop off the books. His expiring contract won't help us, but trading him for a role player & a #1 draft pick would. Or, if trading Willis is seriously being looked at, how about this trade?

Houston sends Willis/KT/Toronto #1 pick to Atlanta.

Atlanta sends Email/Glover/Dermarr Johnson to Houston.

or better yet (the homer in me is starting to come out:D).......

Houston sends Willis/Walt/Moochie/KT/Toronto #1 pick to Atlanta.

Atlanta sends Email/Dermarr/T-Ratliff/Glover to Houston.

Atlanta drops $8 million off the books at the end of the year, gets a starting (for them) PG in Moochie, a solid starting/backup PF in KT & a #1 pick. Okay, I'm dreaming. If it was determined that Ratliff is over his recent run of injuries, I might consider giving our unconditional lottery pick this year, instead of the Toronto pick.

Too bad we won't know if we're going to get the Toronto pick before the trade deadline.

9. Hottoddie

Hottoddie Member

Here's a trade that might be doable.

Houston sends Willis to Boston.

Boston sends McCarty/unconditional #1 pick this year to Houston.

Both contracts expire at the end of the year, but Willis would give Boston some size, strength, & veteran leadership up front, which they are sorely lacking. Boston is currently the #4 seed in the East, but only 3 1/2 games ahead of the #8 seed.

Acquiring their #1 pick this year would allow us to trade our pick for this year, without having to wait on Toronto to clinch a playoff spot.

10. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

Glover and DerMarr are WAY too much baggage to handle.

11. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

I don't think Willis is much of an upgrade to McCarty.

I do think the Celts are willing to part with a #1, since they have 3 rookies on the team right now.

12. Hottoddie

Hottoddie Member

What do you mean Dermarr is baggage? He's a promising young SF that has shown considerable improvement this year. On top of that, Rudy was real high on him during the draft.

Actually, I felt that the proposed trade was skewed in our favor.

13. Hottoddie

Hottoddie Member

Do you even know what you're talking about? McCarty is getting 10.1 mpg & is averaging 1.4 rpg & 2.7 ppg. He's 6'10" 230 lbs.

Willis is 7'0" 245 lbs & is averaging 17.8 mpg, 6.1 rpg, & 6.2 ppg. In games that he gets 20+ minutes, he consistently gets double-doubles.

Willis plays the PF/C positions & McCarty's size indicates to me (I don't follow the Celtics) that he is more suited to play the SF spot & maybe some PF. Willis would definitely provide Boston with a shot in the arm up front.

14. Sane

Sane Member

Can someone tell me how Walter Mcarty went from averaging 16 ppg to this?

I don't mind him starting the rest of the year.

Then again, here's a deal I like more:

Kevin Willis

for

Jamaal Magloire

Really would be a nice fit, and Charlotte need the experience that Willis brings. Magloire does nothing better (yet). But Willis has experience, championship rings, and better offense on him.

I do think we should try this also:

Willis
    Walt
    Mooch
    Taylor

for

Juwan Howard.
    ZhiZhi Wang

Why would we do this?

1) Fixes our glut of forwards.
    2) Gives us a young backup C, with a 3-pt shot (Rudy's favourite)
    3) Juwan Howard's contract expires the same year Duncan is an FA. That's 20M (really) off the books. I'm sure we can make a run at Duncan then. Mooch and MO have long contracts that we get rid of. Howard can play both F spots, and is rejuvenated since joining the Mavs.
    4) It's really cool to have someone called Wang on your team, and everyone thinks the Rockets on the jerseys look like Wangs.

What do you think?

15. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

When I've watched him, Dermarr has stunk, and looks to be the same as last year. I guess we are watching different games.

Dermarr is basically a Lamar Odom, as far as attitude and skills go (I will admit Dermarr will be good later).

16. Hottoddie

Hottoddie Member

Sane,

You must be thinking of someone else. McCarty has never averaged 16 ppg. Here's the link to his career stats & if you click on the game by game stats on the right side, under the Celtic's logo, you can see that he's only scored 12 points twice this year. However, he does have a rather high FG% & 3 point % for this year.

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/walter_mccarty/career_statistics.html

It might be interesting to see if he could maintain those percentages with the Rocket's system, but the main reason that I proposed the idea was, because I believe it was Oeilpere (not sure, though) that indicated the Rockets might do a minor trade to acquire a lower #1 pick to go with what they currently have.

I'm all for trading for Magloire, but I would be completely surprised if they would be willing to give him up for just Willis. Campbell is almost 34 years old & has been in the league for 11 years. He'll be hanging it up before too much longer & with the promise that Magloire has shown, they'd be really dumb to give him up. Centers & PG's are arguably the most difficult positions to fill with quality players, with (imho) centers being #1.

17. Sane

Sane Member

I was thinking about Eric Williams, my bad. It was 19.8ppg that he averaged.

Not bad.

I don't know if that kind of talent just goes away?

18. right1

right1 Member

We could really do ourselves and Willis a favor if we could trade him to a major contender for their #1 next year. Kings, Wolves, Mavs, etc. all could use a strong, experienced 7- footer like Willis to help in 7 games vs. Shaq.

19. WoodlandsBoy

WoodlandsBoy Member

How about

Houston trades: C Kevin Willis (6.2 ppg, 6.1 rpg, 0.3 apg in 17.8 minutes)
    Houston receives: SG Joe Johnson (6.3 ppg, 2.9 rpg, 1.5 apg in 20.9 minutes)
    SG Roshown McLeod (6.3 ppg, 2.9 rpg, 1.5 apg in 20.9 minutes)
    Change in team outlook: +0.1 ppg, -3.2 rpg, and +1.2 apg.

Boston trades: SG Joe Johnson (6.3 ppg, 2.9 rpg, 1.5 apg in 20.9 minutes)
    SG Roshown McLeod (6.3 ppg, 2.9 rpg, 1.5 apg in 20.9 minutes)
    Boston receives: C Kevin Willis (6.2 ppg, 6.1 rpg, 0.3 apg in 42 games)
    Change in team outlook: -0.1 ppg, +3.2 rpg, and -1.2 apg.

TRADE ACCEPTED

We get Joe Johnson as our SF of the future.

20. LAfadeaway33

LAfadeaway33 Member

I dont think the Celtics would ever trade Joe Johnson to us for an over the hill center that will retire in a season or two. Johnson has too much potential.