1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kevin Pelton: Stardom no longer seems to be in the cards for Thomas Robinson

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Jun 24, 2013.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Kevin Pelton worked on the Basketball Prospectus and does quite a bit of analytics projection on NBA players, here's his response when asked about Robinson recently:

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat/_/id/48304/nba-insider-kevin-pelton

2. treyk3

treyk3 Member

I'm sorry he stole your snack pack.

2 people like this.
  3. T FOR 3!!!

T FOR 3!!! Member

I agree. This guy should worship Kenneth Faried's style of play. Best chance he has at ever being a serious piece. Like the guy too. If we were the bobcats I'd take a flyer on him.

4. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I think you've developed an unhealthy fixation, Carl. Go drink some orange juice, or have an enema.

Do something.

2 people like this.
  5. SSP365

SSP365 Member

lmfaaaooooo

6. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

My only obsession is with objectivity.

7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

so you think stardom was in the cards of Patterson? Think again
    Robinson will be good at the things Patterson wasn't. Rebounding....
    Patterson had a midrange game and was decent in defensive rotations over Trob

8. clos4life

clos4life Member

Oh Carl, you are becoming like Tinman and T-Mac. Never seen anyone love PPat, a middling role player at best, like you.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  9. showa13

showa13 Member

well if he nets us a mid-late first for Thursday I think we can put this nonsense to rest

10. 2016Champions

2016Champions Member

I still think he can be a 15 and 11 guy in this league, with very good defense and hustle, but I don't think he will ever be an efficient scoring threat.

11. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

Morey can find PPats easily in free agency, Robinson was a calculated low risk high reward type move, now we just move on

12. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Guess how many guys average 15-11 this year? I will give you a hint its less than 5.

1 person likes this.
  13. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

Not every lottery pick has a Karate kid ending.

14. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

Man, is this dude still cryin about PPat?

15. OTMax

OTMax Member

T-Rob was never a star in the making, so much hype over nothing. I never saw in him what others were seeing other then his athleticism.

16. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

Still plenty of time for him to develop into a solid Antonio Davis-type player.

Probably won't be for us.

17. cardpire

cardpire Member

hmmmm......6?

need another hint.

18. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Some people just need to let certain players go.

19. Mathloom

Mathloom Contributing Member

He's a mid range J away from being a starter already. Considering his basketball experience, he was a surprisingly good defender. If we keep him, it will be nice to see how he plays after going through our excellent big man coaching, a training camp and a system suited to his skills. He's an excellent rebounder, agile, fast, quick, and a hard worker.

Right now, he's clearly a better scorer in one half of the court. He shoots 46% from the center, 35% from the right, and most importantly an abysmal 21% from the left. He gets his shot blocked a lot and because of that he tends to fade to the side/back when trying to score. These are all things which can be corrected by focusing on technique and smarter shot selection. It is not impossible to think a first year guy who started his career with a horrendous coaching staff will improve his technique and fundamental understanding of his strengths. If he releases the ball at the right point and jumps straight up, few people will be able to challenge his shot without giving up drives to the basket - something which he clearly has the potential to do.

Will he be a star scorer? Probably never. But I can see him maxing out at 15pts, 12 reb and a block with very good defense. That would be a huge success for him/us.

It's sensible to compare him to other examples in the past, but his situation is relatively unique. Had he been drafted by the Rockets, we may be talking about a much better player right now. Instead he was drafted by the Kings and now may be traded by the Rockets (out of necessity) at a critical juncture of his career.

Rasheed Wallace shot a worse FG% than Thomas Robinson's rookie season in the last 8 seasons of his career. Chris Webber shot a comparable FG% for the last 6 seasons of his career. Zach Randolph shot a comparable 45% in his rookie season. Jermaine O'neal shot a comparable 45% in his rookie season.

To write Thomas Robinson off for shooting 42% in 51 games with the Kings and 45% in just 19 GAMES without training camp with the Rockets is silly at this point. He has been a better defender than most of his draft class, and one of the best per minute rebounders in his draft class with Drummond and Anthony Davis. Plus this is essentially his contract year, so you can bet on him putting in all the work this summer.

Worst case scenario? We don't pick up his option and we lost PPat. Boohoo. PPat was never going to be the difference between us being a contender or not. $3.5m/season as never going to limit our ability to sign FA's. But Thomas Robinson has a small chance of being an impact player, and the chances of that have not changed since the day he got traded.

1 person likes this.
  20. Morlock O

Morlock O Member

I have always seen him as Al-Farouq Aminu type of player... great re bounder for an SF... good defense... but that's it...