1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Keon Clark a suitable replacement?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by countingcrow, Sep 5, 2001.

1. countingcrow

countingcrow Member

Toronto has a surplus of PFs on their current squad. Toronto also seems to be in danger of having to pay the luxury tax next season due to all their signings this offseason. Would they be interested in trading Clark and Tracy Murray for Walt and Langhi? Walt's contract expires after this season which would give Toronto a little cap relief.

Thoughts?

2. JAG

JAG Member

A) They are not in danger of the salary cap, the trade of Charles Oakley lowered their current payroll, and VC's extension doesn't kick in until next year, at which time they'll lose Childs and Curry's contracts, totalling about 9 mil...

B) They are a bit stuffed at the PF though, but there is no way they'd trade Clark for Langhi and Williams...They are very high on Clark, and many in and around Toronto feel that the Clark/Willis trade was Grunwald's best move, and the start of the Raptors' roll in the latter part of last year...

C) I thought of Clark too, when the word of Mo's season ending surgery hit, but it would take another team...I don't think the Rockets have anything that the Raptors would want that they'd be willing to trade...There's talk of Clark and Curry or Murray to Portland for Bonzi Wells, so that's about where the bar is set...

D) Somebody who might fit, though, if the salary relief comes through, is Dale Davis...what would it take to get him?

3. Swopa

Swopa Member

Last I heard, Lenny Wilkens was saying he wanted another point guard, so they might be interested in Moochie. Not sure if you could put together a cap-friendly deal, though.

4. RichRocket

RichRocket Member

Didn't Keon ride the pine for the entire Toronto-Sixer series? I'm confused as to how much they treasure him? Anybody know any explanation?

5. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

I'm not sure if the Rockets would really want Clark. He is not the bulkiest of forwards...as a matter of fact, next to Shawn Bradley, Keon probably has the skiniest legs in the NBA. I do not think he would hold up an entire season against the West forwards. Pounding against Karl Malone, Duncan/Robinson, and the Trailblazer forwards would wear him down significantly. I think Anthony Mason would fare alot better in the West, but his attitude problems might be a factor in not bringing him in (in addition to his wanting a multi-year contract).

6. vj23k

vj23k Member

Not really possible, as we need a solid backup PG, almost as much as we need a big man like Clark.

7. heypartner

heypartner Member

Yes, it looks like the owners are making enough money to avoid a luxury tax. The luxury tax only kicks in when player salaries grow faster than owner revenues....of course, it is much more complicated than that, but the early reports say there will be no luxury tax.

8. getsmartnow

getsmartnow Member

Two words can solve all our big man problems: AXEL DENCH

Anyone agree?? :D

9. Legendary21

Legendary21 Member

Who is Axel Dench? :p

10. vj23k

vj23k Member

No.

11. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Member
    Supporting Member

What the hell does the guy from Beverly Hills Cop have to do with anything?

;)