1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kenny Smith say we are Contenders!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tfvic, Jun 28, 2009.

1. tfvic

tfvic Member

Check this out people!
    http://www.nba.com/draft2009/teams/hou.html

HOUSTON ROCKETS-
    Areas of Strength:
    Toughness of body and spirit, plus high skill level at key positions. Yao is a perennial All-Star and Brooks is on the fast track to being a top point guard.
    Needs Work:

Training staff. Injuries can’t be planned, though one might think so in Houston. Every season gets sabotaged at some point by a major injury to a major star.
    Two Stats That Matter:

* 98.4 -- Regular-season scoring average, highest since 1999-2000
    * 50 -- Victory plateau reached for a franchise-best third straight sear

The Way To Go:

An exciting postseason run should be backed up by an exciting summer. Bringing back Artest and those designs carved into the side of his head is a no-brainer. He endeared himself to Houston’s fans, his teammates and responds to Rick Adelman. After securing Ron-Ron’s return, the Rockets need to get a backup center under 40. The franchise also needs to decide if McGrady, in the last year of his deal, is part of the longtime plan. T-Mac, making $22.5 million, may still be too difficult to move. Wafer, another free agent with upside, appears to have moved past his issues with Adelman. If he bolts, this team can always use another scorer on the wing. The front office isn’t afraid to pull the trigger on a major deal and Houston is a desirable spot for those looking to relocate. Any of the big names rumored to be on the move -- Richard Jefferson, Vince Carter, Chris Bosh -- would fit. Shawn Marion could be possibility :)

2. snc

snc Member

Not much substance here and I'm missing where he calls us a contender. Jefferson and Vince have already been moved, and he seems to think there is a chance that Tracy is in our plans.

And, I guess it depends on your definition of "top", but to me Aaron Brooks is definitely not on his way to be a top PG (not going to join Nash, Williams, Paul, Davis, Parker, Rose, Kidd...).

Kinda weak, Kenny!

3. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Seems old. Plus Jefferson and Carter are already on the move. PLUS he doesn't say we're a contender. He says we "had" a good postseason run.

4. Gimmmethemike

Gimmmethemike Member

haha this thread is lame..

5. DaFranchise03

DaFranchise03 Member

you have to watch the video. He is on at the end of it.

6. nolimitnp

nolimitnp Member

Where is the if healthy asterisk?

We didn't need Kenny Smith or any other "expert" to tell us that.

7. Malcolm

Malcolm Member

we are with the team we have right now contenders. i was telling sombody the other day we right now are the best team in the league. we have a young core and if we sign artest and get a back up center we will be in the finals baring injuries.

8. TXRoxBBall

TXRoxBBall Member

We're not contenders right now. We could be after a few moves, but not right now. There is no guarantee Artest will resign or we will get anything from Tracy. If at least one of the two of those don't happen, we could find ourselves out of the playoffs.

9. roxstarz

roxstarz Member

I think it's fair to say were a playoff team right now. A hurt tmac and yao again both have no time tables but I think yao will be back before training camp. We also have artest asking for 12 million apparently which I seriously doubt the rockets pay him that. So we got 3 peices of the puzzle that aren't ready to be placed yet.

10. MadMax

MadMax Member

the asterisk is almost comical. i've never seen these guys stay healthy. our center's foot hasn't healed a bit. our "star's" heart is in question.

we're contenders on paper...beyond that, i don't see this team winning a championship without having someone who remotely resembles a closer who can stay healthy.

11. Patience

Patience Member

Weak? Maybe Kenny is just giving the Rockets some credit for a strong postseason (our best postseason in 12 years, mind you). I have to agree that if the Rockets can re-sign Artest and Yao plays again, the Rockets have to be considered one of the top Western teams going into next season.

Time will tell whether Brooks will be a star or not, but you have to admit he showed some flashes in the playoffs. He is not a Nash, Williams, or Paul yet, but if he can become more consistent, comparing him to Rose, Rondo, or Davis is not a huge stretch. He played like a star in several key playoff games, and I believe he is the best player to man the point for the Rockets since Cassell.

12. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

With the same team as last season, of course we are contenders, dont need Kenny to tell us that. In order to be one of the top 3 contenders in the West, we have to a) stay healthy and b) either move tracy, or find a way for him and ron to play together. If we can do both, we will be golden!

13. Pete Chilcutt

Pete Chilcutt Member

I don't see what is the big excitement of Kenny calling us contenders..I mean does his opinion really matter? Everyone knows the Rockets are contenders barring injury..i dont see why OP is peeing in his pants :confused:

Chilcutt

14. BetterThanEver

The Rockets already have a major injury to a major star for the 2009-10 season, Kenny! Don't you read the news? McGrady will be out for several months due to his surgery, so the Rockets aren't a contender before the season has even started.